• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 21-24 Severe Obs/Disc.

Ellinwood

Though the main low is expected to be stacked/decaying as it pushes into the eastern U.S., the system should remain organized enough for the region to experience severe storms this Thursday and Friday. Along with the upper-low, the system also features a moderate jet streak ejecting out of the base of the trough, which will help give the storms upper-level support and increase storm longevity. A cold front moving through the region could help initiate/sustain storms as well.

The atmosphere will be somewhat unstable as well, though cloud cover and precipitation remain concerns as mid-level lapse rates could suffer. Regardless, so long as there is some sunshine, temperatures should climb into the lower 90s during the afternoon, creating favorable low-level lapse rates. Coupled with decent/good wind shear, the atmosphere seems favorable for at least some severe weather as we head into the end of the work week.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about this? Tuesday afternoon... Ian was talking about this a lil last night

Severe certainly possible along that frontal boundary (once it finally gets to our north!), but I'm looking at the more "classic" severe setup later this week as the best chance to get good supercell and/or tornadic storms. I just wanted to separate the Thu/Fri stuff from the rest of it since it's a different kind of situation that, for now, shows more promise and chase-worthiness.

Tuesday afternoon...

What do you think about Wednesday?

I'm not a big fan of Tue/Wed due to the supposed larger amounts of cloud cover and lack of upper-level support. Not saying that nothing will happen, but I'd rather play up the Thu/Fri potential at this point... looks more exciting :D

I'm not a big fan of Tue/Wed due to the supposed larger amounts of cloud cover and lack of upper-level support. Not saying that nothing will happen, but I'd rather play up the Thu/Fri potential at this point... looks more exciting :D

Might as well make this the entire week severe weather thread :lol:

you might as well just put the whole week in it (sans today).. the jumping back and forth b/w threads is confusing. though i made a weekend thread and ppl still posted in the other thread. :unsure:

Might as well make this the entire week severe weather thread :lol:

you might as well just put the whole week in it (sans today).. the jumping back and forth b/w threads is confusing. though i made a weekend thread and ppl still posted in the other thread. :unsure:

*sigh* le fine :P

I'll just have to live with the "meh" posts until Thursday rolls around.

*sigh* le fine :P

I'll just have to live with the "meh" posts until Thursday rolls around.

heh. well the first two are marginal but if something pops it could be interesting. maybe subtitle the whole week and focus on the other days in the main title. ;)

heh. well the first two are marginal but if something pops it could be interesting. maybe subtitle the whole week and focus on the other days in the main title. ;)

I dunno... Tuesday seems pretty good with the SREF parameter stuff.. MUCAPE is 3500... could get some good stuff if we have some clearing... seems to suggest the WF gets through early enough

Wednesday I am not really impressed with IMO... Tuesday could certainly get some play

wed we're closer to the upper support. tomorrow we're more likely to end up not having anything to trigger a storm. it's more that if one goes it could be fun.

There seems to be an enthusiasm and optimism regarding severe weather here that is not commensurate with the results....you could say the same about snow, but there seems to be a collective understanding re: snow that things will not work out....I am trying to follow these "threats", but it won't take too many more "busts" before I don't take any of these discrete threads seriously

There seems to be an enthusiasm and optimism regarding severe weather here that is not commensurate with the results....you could say the same about snow, but there seems to be a collective understanding re: snow that things will not work out....I am trying to follow these "threats", but it won't take too many more "busts" before I don't take any of these discrete threads seriously

Are you saying that the Great Ellinwood is wrong?

you can't really define success the same way. if svr storms happen within 100 miles it's probably a success even if you could not care less.

lol

you can't really define success the same way. if svr storms happen within 100 miles it's probably a success even if you could not care less.

and that is worthy of individual threads?

not that I care if people start threads....It is just trying to evaluate which ones merit attention....

and that is worthy of individual threads?

not that I care if people start threads....It is just trying to evaluate which ones merit attention....

i think so. we could spend all summer in 2 superthreads but it's not like we're running out of room in here. there is probably only a somewhat rare case where a svr event is screaming extreme days in advance. in the event something does go big it's nicer to go back and look at a more consolidated thread rather than pages 45-72 of a summer t'storm thread.

i think so. we could spend all summer in 2 superthreads but it's not like we're running out of room in here. there is probably only a somewhat rare case where a svr event is screaming extreme days in advance. in the event something does go big it's nicer to go back and look at a more consolidated thread rather than pages 45-72 of a summer t'storm thread.

Like June 4 2008 - I always use that example. That would have been bad to have to go through a full summer thread to isolate out that stuff.

Like June 4 2008 - I always use that example. That would have been bad to have to go through a full summer thread to isolate out that stuff.

granted.. i rarely go back and look at old threads as the images often disappear and it's not like all the commentary is shining. but often you dont know when an event will turn "special". i'd almost rather have a seperate thread for every possibility of a weather event.

Archived