ADEQUATE FOR STORM ORGANIZATION.

BEYOND DAY4 MODELS DIVERGE IN THEIR SPEED/PLACEMENT OF THE UPPER

TROUGH...HENCE TOO MUCH UNCERTAINTY FOR A SEVERE RISK DAY5 AND

BEYOND.

..DARROW.. 06/19/2011

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that this is going to be an active week with the potential for thunderstorms to produce flash flooding and become severe.

First,It looks like the warm front will be slow moving as there will be blocking to the north with closed lows near the Great Lakes

and Newfoundland.Second,the cold front should slow down near our area as the upper flow becomes parallel to the front.

There will be plenty of moisture available will high PW's forecast.

Slow moving warm front and cold front pattern with plenty of moisture:

I sure hope it is not another 6/1 or another 6/5/10 repeat. Personally I loved what the area most experience this past Friday despite most of the storms stay below severe levels. I will take that repeat any day.

Agree 100% had some pea sized hail/winds but what really stole the show Friday was the vived cg lighting and really loud thunder, by far best storm this season so far

12z NAM has it screwing LI and has only a 10% chance for thunderstorms for Islip. God I really hate this model.

Long island more often than not gets screwed on thunderstorms anyway due to the seabreeze influence and our air being more stable than our more fortunate inland folks, sucks a lot when u look at the radar and see a storm just die soon as it hits long island

Well if I have more money once then I will moving to NJ because one cheper cigreetes over there and I think it is cheaper all together to live over there then it is to live in NY state all together. Of course NJ does get more storms than both NYC and LI all together. Probably I like to live in Northern NJ where it is to still close to the city.

Well if I have more money once then I will moving to NJ because one cheper cigreetes over there and I think it is cheaper all together to live over there then it is to live in NY state all together. Of course NJ does get more storms than both NYC and LI all together. Probably I like to live in Northern NJ where it is to still close to the city.

Uh hello? There is an indian reservation in Mastic, NY (Poospatuck) and one in Shinnecock. Why in the world would you go anywhere else for cigarettes?

I drive from Queens to Mastic (68 miles) to get 3-4 cartons every once in a while and save over $200.

Last year, all cartons were only around $40 there compared to $100-$120 that is is in Long Island and NYC. Now the cartons go anywhere from $50-$65 in the reservations. Still a savings of $50+ per carton!

Edit: LOL! Sayville to Mastic, NY is only 16 miles! You wasted thousands of dollars in cigarette tax.

Uh hello? There is an indian reservation in Mastic, NY (Poospatuck) and one in Shinnecock. Why in the world would you go anywhere else for cigarettes?

I drive from Queens to Mastic (68 miles) to get 3-4 cartons every once in a while and save over $200.

Last year, all cartons were only around $40 there compared to $100-$120 that is is in Long Island and NYC. Now the cartons go anywhere from $50-$65 in the reservations. Still a savings of $50+ per carton!

sorry to go OT, but you could just quit smoking.

sorry to go OT, but you could just quit smoking.

Of course. But in the meantime, anyone who smokes and doesnt go to the reservations is insane. The savings are insane amounts of money. He lives only 16 miles from a cigarette paradise in Mastic, Long Island.

I've calculated that I have saved over $15,000+ in taxes, by driving 68 miles to the reservation.

If it was as easy as saying "you can just stop smoking", then nobody would smoke and cigarette companies would be bankrupt. Every smoker would quit, if it was that easy.

Edit: LOL! Sayville to Mastic, NY is only 16 miles! You wasted thousands of dollars in cigarette tax.

Of course you got the Indian reservation but the state is trying to shut down and raise the prices but anyway yeah lets get back severe talk and it looks like more heavy rain producers than severe anyway if anything since we will be north of the warm front. But who knows I could hope this could be one of those warm front set ups for our area like we had back in 2007.

Of course. But in the meantime, anyone who smokes and doesnt go to the reservations is insane. The savings are insane amounts of money. He lives only 16 miles from a cigarette paradise in Mastic, Long Island.

I've calculated that I have saved over $15,000+ in taxes, by driving 68 miles to the reservation.

If it was as easy as saying "you can just stop smoking", then nobody would smoke and cigarette companies would be bankrupt. Every smoker would quit, if it was that easy.

I don't mean to criticize, but people can avoid the difficulty of having to quit by not starting smoking to begin with. I never understand why anyone would try a cigarette, knowing they can become addicted to it. But that's just my opinion. Anyway, good luck to everyone here that will be trying to quit. I hope you don't end up smoking long enough to greatly increase your risk of cancer and heart disease. It's important to try to quit at a young age.

Severe threat on Thursday as well:

..UPPER OH VALLEY TO NRN MIDDLE ATLANTIC...

SEVERE THREAT SHOULD LINGER ACROSS THE UPPER OH VALLEY INTO THE NRN

MIDDLE ATLANTIC REGION THURSDAY AS UPPER TROUGH AXIS EASES ACROSS

THE GREAT LAKES-TN VALLEY. THIS UPPER FEATURE WILL MAINTAIN MODEST

SWLY FLOW...ON THE ORDER OF 40KT AT 500MB...FROM THE BASE OF THE

TROUGH OVER TN INTO UPSTATE NY. WHILE IT/S NOT OBVIOUS HOW FOCUSED

LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE WILL BE ALONG ADVANCING FRONT...IT APPEARS

STRONG BOUNDARY LAYER HEATING ACROSS THE OUTLOOK REGION WILL

ENCOURAGE TSTM DEVELOPMENT BY 18Z WITHIN A FLOW REGIME THAT SHOULD

FAVOR ROTATING UPDRAFTS...OR AT LEAST ORGANIZED MULTI-CELL CLUSTERS CAPABLE

OF PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS...HAIL AND PERHAPS EVEN ISOLATED TORNADOES.

I guess I understand the downgrade with the ULL remaining so far back to the west and slowing down its progression (making for weaker effective shear I believe argued in their day 2 text), but I'm still a bit uneasy about tomorrow with the warm front in the area and some nice low-level turning of the winds on the soundings. Furthermore, with weaker bulk shear, then flash flooding would be of greater concern. PW values 1.5-2.0+ tomorrow into tomorrow night.

Also think Friday could turn out to be a severe weather day with the slower movement of the ULL, still lingering around and taking its closest proximity to the area.

Archived