Newest Member
    joxey
HEAT WAVE 6 now underway....probably will last 5 days

Deck Pic

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Catocinwx

True, but isn't the massive expanse of concrete a factor? The cities where these are measured have much more concrete all around by a huge margin, even if the station isn't cited near any of it there seems to be an effect in both daytime and nightime highs... Use central park as an example?

Absolutely the concrete is a factor for UHI. I wasn't saying that they should use measurements inside of cities as offical observations, just that some of the records that are on the books (specifically Baltimore) where taken in cities. I'm assuming that baltimore had plenty of cement and brick houses in the 1930's. Also, it was said that the instrument was on a roof, which may have had a black tar on it.

Absolutely the concrete is a factor for UHI. I wasn't saying that they should use measurements inside of cities as offical observations, just that some of the records that are on the books (specifically Baltimore) where taken in cities. I'm assuming that baltimore had plenty of cement and brick houses in the 1930's. Also, it was said that the instrument was on a roof, which may have had a black tar on it.

Highest highs around here have barely changed. I think UHI helps more at the margins than "fabricating" heat. It is certainly more noticeable at night.

Highest highs around here have barely changed. I think UHI helps more at the margins than "fabricating" heat. It is certainly more noticeable at night.

Agreed. UHI is why Baltimore City didn't drop below 88 last night. Sure, it does play a factor with daytime highs, but it is definitely more noticeable at night.

Yes, this is why I consider high min summers not as impressive as scorching summers with a few dozen 90 degree days and a few 100+ degree days tossed in. UHI has little or no effect on day time highs. 103 here and rising, one degree away from the all time high here and 40 C!

Well of course nighttime will have a more noticeable impact, but at least from my experience with the vantage pro 2 the station cited even 50 yards from a large concrete expanse would read warm for the daytime while the other placed back in glen echo away from such surfaces would always read about three degrees cooler during the day and about five cooler at night. Is that coincidence maybe?

EXTREME heat in Dale City

Suspect this needs scrutinization.

But just for fun

Temperature is 106 degrees, dewpoint is 81, heat index is 132 degrees. High earlier was 107.

probably wrong, needs verification

It IS very hot outside today - I am scared to even attempt a jebwalk in this

Looks like possible consensus for 104 degree heat based on shaded obs in several locations

Archived