Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
HEAT WAVE 6 now underway....probably will last 5 days

Deck Pic

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they really should go out and calibrate it to use as official. It always seems that it is one of the highest areas in the state regardless of what the airport says

it should be one of the hottest spots in the state... it might not even be that far off sometimes.

We have something today called UHI, not as big of an issue back in the 1930s, Lots of asphalt these days. I'm not sure it can be rationally challenged

The NWS will probably refuse to certify it, even though there was absolutely no quality control on temp records back in the 30s, when many of them were set. Many have been questioned and are dubious at best. Baltimore Inner Harbor was at 104 at the top of the hour. It's interesting to note that a lot of the old records were taken in cities, often on rooftops. I know Baltimore's was on the rootop of the Commons downtown for a long time.

We have something today called UHI, not as big of an issue back in the 1930s, Lots of asphalt these days. I'm not it can be rationally challenged

UHI is only part of it.. Mainly at night.

We have something today called UHI, not as big of an issue back in the 1930s, Lots of asphalt these days too. Summer of 1930 is in a league of it's own.

His point was that they had UHI in the 1930s also, just not as pronounced as it is today, but they still use those temperatures as records.

they really should go out and calibrate it to use as official. It always seems that it is one of the highest areas in the state regardless of what the airport says

I got 101.9 on my weather station in the shade with a dewpoint of 79. It's 6 ft above the ground but in my yard so the dew is definitely high although consistent with just about every report out of Frederick save the airport. I guess we all have them in our yards!

Catocinwx

True, but isn't the massive expanse of concrete a factor? The cities where these are measured have much more concrete all around by a huge margin, even if the station isn't cited near any of it there seems to be an effect in both daytime and nightime highs... Use central park as an example?

Archived