Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Next Week Lake-Effect

isnice

Updated forecast

Late Afternoon: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 30. West wind around 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow showers. Low around 18. West wind around 18 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Tuesday: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Breezy, with a west wind between 18 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Herkimer&state=NY&site=ALY&lat=43.0287&lon=-74.9928

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3" more today bringing the total over a foot (13"). :thumbsup: "Only" 8"-9" on the ground due to the fluffieness of the snow and the unfrozen ground underneath.:thumbsdown: NWS calling for 3"-5" more tonight, the first real forcast of anything more than the standard 1"-3".

Has that 13" been since Saturday night? Just curious how long a period that fell in - thanks!

Is it sheltered enough there that your snow is intact and not blown to bits? Mine blew to hell today so what is now on my lawn bares little relationship to what probably fell.

Nevermind ..just saw your pics ..nice. :) I wish my place looked so nice, but I moved to an open ridge. I have planted a Norway Spruce hedgerow, but we are talking years and years before that really does the job.

All I know is I had measured 3" of this LES stuff in a fairly sheltered spot around 9 AM. Now it snowed decently at times after that, but the wind was so strong that I could never gain any additional depth anywhere. I may have had 4" total, but it seems like cheating so I'll stick with 3"....

The 13" included 1" from Saturday morning, so 12" from Saturday night on. Still snowing now, but real light.

While the observed visibilities fell short (though I'd beg to differ from what I saw, they never went above 0.75mi), the wind gusts today at KJHW have been fairly close to blizzard criteria:

0100 32mph

0200 30mph

0300 30mph

0400 25mph

0500 29mph

0600 25mph

0700 25mph

0800 28mph

0900 29mph

1000 31mph

1100 26mph

1200 28mph

1300 26mph

1400 32mph

1500 31mph

1600 32mph

1700 32mph

1800 29mph

Is it sheltered enough there that your snow is intact and not blown to bits? Mine blew to hell today so what is now on my lawn bares little relationship to what probably fell.

Nevermind ..just saw your pics ..nice. :) I wish my place looked so nice, but I moved to an open ridge. I have planted a Norway Spruce hedgerow, but we are talking years and years before that really does the job.

All I know is I had measured 3" of this LES stuff in a fairly sheltered spot around 9 AM. Now it snowed decently at times after that, but the wind was so strong that I could never gain any additional depth anywhere. I may have had 4" total, but it seems like cheating so I'll stick with 3"....

Yea, my house is surrounded on 3.5 sides by mature (40'-50') white pines. About 3/4 of an acre open around the house and garage. Rarely do I get much wind at my house. Now the fields behind my property are a different story.

Outstanding long duration event for central/western Onondaga. Closing in on 20" since Saturday and band continues to sit overhead. Plowed 12-14" this morning and was very surprised to find another 6-8" on the driveway when I got home at 6:00. Serious fluff factor. My camara is sitting in my cousin's truck somewhere between NJ and Boston. Not doing me any good right now.

Check out King City loop:

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WKR

There is some feature ready to drop down and potentially (assuming it is represented in a low enough level) to align the winds ahead of it, and aid in making additional connections to the band SE of Ontario....and notice the love from the OTHER Geo Bay band for Western NY.....

Gotta love the upper lakes!!! :thumbsup:

For my evening snow total I guess I'll have to put -1.5"...

Not really, but it's drifting so much that I'm losing depth rapidly despite moderate snow. Hopefully I'll be able to open my door tomorrow morning. dry.gif I hate windy snowstorms with a passion.

Aggravating as it may be from a measuring perspective...high winds is what turns a storm into a storm, IMO. People along the I-95 corridor don't know the meaning of "whiteout conditions" until they've spent some time in Upstate NY!

P.S. I saw my first flurry of the season here in Norwood, MA this evening :arrowhead:

Thank God I was home in Orchard Park for the 6.5" that fell Thanksgiving weekend.

Dealing with flakes instead of feet....and surrounded by Patriot fans.....<PUKE> ;)

What did you do, punch a 4 year old in the face for his ice cream, and this is your punishment???

Dealing with flakes instead of feet....and surrounded by Patriot fans.....<PUKE> ;)

What did you do, punch a 4 year old in the face for his ice cream, and this is your punishment???

I was at a gathering with Patriots fans and one lone Jets fan (not sure which I despise more) and they were excited about the "snow" that was falling at the time. Yep, it sucked!!

Also, the models seem to be converging on a solution that would essentially bury Western NY with a synoptic whopper early next week. On top of the LES that has already fallen (and is currently still falling) this has the makings of an epic December for you guys. If I can't have any snow here in MA, I want a minimum of 48" on the ground in Orchard Park when I come home for Christmas :P

How come when I look at the radar near Erie PA, it never really looks like it 's snowing. But then I see Erie on the Weather Channel or news, and its snowing like crazy at times. Is there are hole over that portion of Erie that blocks the radar. How does the weather service know whats really going on there, if it doesn't show up on radar?

Just sent in a report to BGM...

Up to 10.5" since the event began on Saturday Evening, although the bulk of the snow as come witin the past 30 hours or so...

This idea of having no radar been kind of fun as it ha been keeping me on edge of my seat and glued to the window to see what's happening outside.

From about 11PM to 1AM, the snow had tapered to just flurries, but has since re-kindled into an estimated 1" per hour rate. Fun stuff... :snowman:

Perhaps as much as 3" more here overnight as the more northerly band has been stationary ESE more or less along the US20 corridor and then into the Helderbergs. 20F out there.

4" more overnight, so 16" since Saturday afternoon. NWS forcast of 3"-5" overnight was right on.:thumbsup: Hoping they are just as correct with their call of 3"-7" today.

How come when I look at the radar near Erie PA, it never really looks like it 's snowing. But then I see Erie on the Weather Channel or news, and its snowing like crazy at times. Is there are hole over that portion of Erie that blocks the radar. How does the weather service know whats really going on there, if it doesn't show up on radar?

The three radars that cover Erie, PA are buffalo, Cleveland and Pittsburgh. All three locations are far enough away that the radar beam is nearly overshooting the entire field of precip. The snow from these bands is orginating in clouds that top out at about 10,000 ft. This is a classic situation for LES, you can sometimes find private local radars from local news stations, otherwise your SOL.

Archived