Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Next Week Lake-Effect

isnice

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the NWS (both BUF and BGM) with upgrade many areas in their respective zones. The dendritic growth has been very good. I have 5.5 inches total (4.5 on the ground) since last night.

I'm very interested in your reports today, George. My mom and my brother came to visit me in MA this weekend, and they're currently traveling back to Buffalo via I-90. They left my place at 11:20 which would ordinarily put them near SYR around 4PM or so. Is there any blowing/drifting out your way?

I'm very interested in your reports today, George. My mom and my brother came to visit me in MA this weekend, and they're currently traveling back to Buffalo via I-90. They left my place at 11:20 which would ordinarily put them near SYR around 4PM or so. Is there any blowing/drifting out your way?

Very little....and we have only light snow currently. Temp is 29.8. I'll keep you posted.

I think the NWS (both BUF and BGM) with upgrade many areas in their respective zones. The dendritic growth has been very good. I have 5.5 inches total (4.5 on the ground) since last night.

:thumbsup::snowman:

LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING Onondaga, NY Issued at 2:29 PM Sunday, December 05, 2010 Expires at 7:00 AM Monday, December 06, 2010 All Areas Affected: Madison, NY | Onondaga, NY URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY228 PM EST SUN DEC 5 2010...LAKE EFFECT SNOW FOR AREAS SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST OF LAKEONTARIO......LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST MONDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A LAKEEFFECT SNOW WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST MONDAY.THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.* LOCATIONS: ONONDAGA AND MADISON COUNTIES.* ACCUMULATIONS: EIGHT TO TWELVE INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE THROUGH TOMORROW MORNING.* TIMING: PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL LAST THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT HOURS.* TEMPERATURES: TEMPERATURES WILL BE IN THE LOW TO MID 20S THROUGH THE NIGHT.* WINDS: WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH.* IMPACTS: ROADS MAY BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY ALONG WITH POOR VISIBILITIES DUE TO BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF LAKE-EFFECT SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS ORIMPOSSIBLE. LAKE-EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS TYPICALLY ALIGN THEMSELVESIN BANDS AND WILL LIKELY BE INTENSE ENOUGH TO DROP 1 TO SEVERALINCHES OF SNOW PER HOUR FOR SEVERAL HOURS. VISIBILITIES VARYGREATLY AND CAN DROP TO ZERO WITHIN MINUTES. TRAVEL IS STRONGLYDISCOURAGED. COMMERCE COULD BE SEVERELY IMPACTED. IF YOU MUSTTRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOURVEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

What is the deal with the NOAA site, anyone know? No AFD updates from BGM since 633AM, homepage is not reflecting the upgrade to the Advisories-Warnings, and radar has been Out of Service all day. Looks like NWS Cleveland and State College having similar issues. Kind of frustrating when there is a period of active weather on-going.:axe:

http://www.wivb.com/...x/weather/radar

>>WNY radar until someone decides to give us radar again.

I need that band sitting over Gerry (pronounced Gary) to move 3 miles south. Mayville's got to be getting pounded right now. Steady SN here with variable flake size.

GRlevel3 is still working for me. It seems it just a server problem not an actual problem with the radar.

What is the deal with the NOAA site, anyone know? No AFD updates from BGM since 633AM, homepage is not reflecting the upgrade to the Advisories-Warnings, and radar has been Out of Service all day. Looks like NWS Cleveland and State College having similar issues. Kind of frustrating when there is a period of active weather on-going.:axe:

I'll throw a couple out there here and there..... I haven't tried Wunderground yet....but for now:

3:49pm

91303289.png

Urgent - Winter Weather Message

National Weather Service Buffalo NY

333 PM EST Sun Dec 5 2010

Northern Erie-Wyoming-

Including The Cities Of... Buffalo... Warsaw

... Lake Effect Snow Advisory In Effect Until Midnight EST Monday

Night...

The National Weather Service In Buffalo Has Issued A Lake Effect

Snow Advisory... Which Is In Effect Until Midnight EST Monday

Night.

* Locations... Erie And Wyoming County... Mainly East Of Downtown.

* Timing... This Evening Through Monday Evening.

* Accumulations... 4 To 8 Inches... With The Highest Amounts Across

Wyoming And Eastern Portions Of Erie County. Snow Amounts Will

Taper Off Toward Downtown Buffalo.

* Winds... Northwest 15 To 25 Mph.

* Visibilities... Under A Mile At Times.

* Impacts... Difficult Driving Conditions In Periodic Moderate Snow

And Blowing And Drifting Snow.

:snowman:

I don't know what's up with all the PA, Oh, and NJ radar sites; but my GRLevel3 is also working fine with the Doppler in BUF and TYX in Montague.

I'm good too with the radars (not going through NWS sites).

Georgian Bay bands are intense and beginning to orient/rotate themselves....Head's up Wayne Co. in the next few hours:

34661552.png

LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNINGOnondaga, NYIssued at 2:29 PM Sunday, December 05, 2010Expires at 7:00 AM Monday, December 06, 2010All Areas Affected: Madison, NY | Onondaga, NYURGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY228 PM EST SUN DEC 5 2010...LAKE EFFECT SNOW FOR AREAS SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST OF LAKEONTARIO......LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST MONDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A LAKEEFFECT SNOW WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST MONDAY.THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.* LOCATIONS: ONONDAGA AND MADISON COUNTIES.* ACCUMULATIONS: EIGHT TO TWELVE INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE THROUGH TOMORROW MORNING.* TIMING: PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL LAST THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT HOURS.* TEMPERATURES: TEMPERATURES WILL BE IN THE LOW TO MID 20S THROUGH THE NIGHT.* WINDS: WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH.* IMPACTS: ROADS MAY BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY ALONG WITH POOR VISIBILITIES DUE TO BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF LAKE-EFFECT SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS ORIMPOSSIBLE. LAKE-EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS TYPICALLY ALIGN THEMSELVESIN BANDS AND WILL LIKELY BE INTENSE ENOUGH TO DROP 1 TO SEVERALINCHES OF SNOW PER HOUR FOR SEVERAL HOURS. VISIBILITIES VARYGREATLY AND CAN DROP TO ZERO WITHIN MINUTES. TRAVEL IS STRONGLYDISCOURAGED. COMMERCE COULD BE SEVERELY IMPACTED. IF YOU MUSTTRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOURVEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.&&

Wow, what is up with the copy/paste formatting on this forum?

(This is chino btw from easternus....no one knows me though :P)

Hey CHICO!!! Of course we know you) We will be "in the money" in a few hours....almost a lock. Not sure how long the megaband will last, but it will snow very hard sometime this evening.....

Hey CHICO!!! Of course we know you) We will be "in the money" in a few hours....almost a lock. Not sure how long the megaband will last, but it will snow very hard sometime this evening.....

Awesome! Great start to the winter season....

I've learned not to get to pissed if things don't go our way like I got sometimes last year :/ lol....

I know we always get ours, just have to be patient.

I came in here to post this Link (King City Radar) but see you beat me to it. This is a spectacular Georgian Bay connection. I had that super band lock in over me for a few hours this afternoon and picked up a quick three inches. Its all or nothing though with bands that strong, the subsidence around them will be devastating to some. I'm currently in between bands so I'm hoping things stay somewhat transient.

Its been several years since we had such a prolonged period of deep arctic air while the lakes were still very warm. In fact, I would assume that most of the lakes in Ontario aren't even frozen yet. And the Delta T's on the big bodies of water look pretty tasty. This should be a good show the next few days.

I'm good too with the radars (not going through NWS sites).

Georgian Bay bands are intense and beginning to orient/rotate themselves....Head's up Wayne Co. in the next few hours:

34661552.png

My mom is reporting white-knuckle driving conditions on the Thruway, about 30 miles east of Rochester. Everyone is driving in one lane averaging 35 mph. Sounds pretty bad.

Going to be a long ride home....Then coming into rochester w/the 3 lanes and all the up down those hills is sure to make some accidents eventually...... How adventureous is she?? Maybe get off at 46(390) and take that south try to run out of it and cut back over via 20 or something maybe?? Idk just came to mind thought it might help...

Going to be a long ride home....Then coming into rochester w/the 3 lanes and all the up down those hills is sure to make some accidents eventually...... How adventureous is she?? Maybe get off at 46(390) and take that south try to run out of it and cut back over via 20 or something maybe?? Idk just came to mind thought it might help...

I thought about telling her to do that, but 20A is a road that is particularly prone to drifting. They aren't getting the snow like Rochester is, but there's a pretty good snowpack in western Wyoming and Erie Counties from last week's storm...and my dad is reporting strong winds back home in Orchard Park. If she stays the course on the Thruway, it looks like she'll see a drastic improvement west of Batavia. Doesn't look like much is happening from there all the way back through the Buffalo area.

This has to be one of the more impressive LES bands into the heart of CNY that I've seen in a few years. Some heavy snow all the way into the Catskills this Evening...

I'm thinking that band could migrate southward into the Tri-Cities area ~12z tomorrow morning. Could be a very squally start to the week in BGM!

Archived