Alpha5

46 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Love it- nothing better than 95 and humid
    • Like it- better than boring summer weather
    • No opinion
    • Dislike it- it gets uncomfortable
    • Hate it- the heat is oppressive, bring back winter

Heat Waves are fun to keep track and I rather have a heat wave than have cold rainy noreaster in the summer time with temps in the low 60's with nasty East to Northeast wind but on the other hand I must prefer having thunderstorms and alot times a heat wave will not necessary generate thunderstorms. My choose was option 2

I love heat waves in New England. I love the classic summer conditions, and the measures we would take to stay cool. Simple things like putting up sheets in front of the windows and the fans in the house have remained fond memories of a scorching summer

Being in Norman,OK this summer, I'm a little less enthusiastic lol

I dislike it. But I don't really want winter back. I just want normal summertime warmth with low humidity.

I actually have mixed feeling with heat waves but I am going to add if there is going higher humidity that will help instability to fuel thunderstorms than I like it. I will take some days as well with in the 75-85 F range with low humidity. I still go with option 2 because I don't mind the heat unless it get too unbearable with dewpoints 75+ with temps in the 90's then it would tough to go outside. As said before my worse summer time weather is a nasty raw noreaster like system with a East to Northeast winds and chilly rain with temps near 60 F during the day. Noreasters belong in the winter time when they give us our epic snowstorms.

I hate the feeling of sweating and feeling light-headed just from standing outside and doing nothing, so yeah, I hate the heat. I don't have a pool, either...if I did, my opinion would change.

I mean, how is this comfortable weather? Do you set your thermostat to 95 degrees inside your house? Of course not, because that's very uncomfortable. I'll take my 70s of late last week/this weekend, thanks. I enjoy doing outdoor activities, such as playing basketball with friends or going for a run, without the feeling of suffocation and light-headedness.

I do agree however that if it's going to be 95+, it might as well break records and hit 100...breaking records/making history is always fun.

Only weird people like the heat.:P

Lol I say the same thing about people who enjoy being flash frozen.

I love the 95+ heat & heat waves, Summer isn't supposed to be "mild" or "warm". 85+ every single day is acceptable.

I hate the feeling of sweating and feeling light-headed just from standing outside and doing nothing, so yeah, I hate the heat. I don't have a pool, either...if I did, my opinion would change.

I mean, how is this comfortable weather? Do you set your thermostat to 95 degrees inside your house? Of course not, because that's very uncomfortable. I'll take my 70s of late last week/this weekend, thanks. I enjoy doing outdoor activities, such as playing basketball with friends or going for a run, without the feeling of suffocation and light-headedness.

I do agree however that if it's going to be 95+, it might as well break records and hit 100...breaking records/making history is always fun.

This...I like to play tennis and run outside, and it's very hard with these heat waves. I just went for a walk to get coffee on my lunch break, and it was oppressive outside here in Tarrytown, NY. I loved last week with dews in the 40s and highs only reaching mid 70s, but unfortunately that's not the reality of summer in NYC metro. Until I was 18, I spent my summers at 1500' in the Poconos at our vacation house, with my parents who are teachers and have the summers off, but now I get to stay here and work. Fun times....it was a lot nicer having elevation to get those cool, crisp mountain nights.

Can't wait for winter, but do want to get nice vegetables from the garden with all this heat. Could have my earliest tomatoes ever this season....some are already ripening on the vines.

Amen, Anthony!

All I do in summer is look back at the previous winter's photo album on my computer. I've amassed a lot of great pictures of 09-10 and 10-11.

A true weather lover loves all extreme weather ;) I love seeing the sheer power of a strong high absolutely obliterate all cloudiness and hold the seabreeze at bay and control the weather for 2/3 to 3/4 of the country..... and it also brings back memories of the truly historic and memorable summers like what we had so much more of in the 90s, just like a big snowstorm winter brings back memories of 95-96 and 02-03. It's truly an awe-inspiring and awesome experience!

Lol I say the same thing about people who enjoy being flash frozen.

I love the 95+ heat & heat waves, Summer isn't supposed to be "mild" or "warm". 85+ every single day is acceptable.

And I love running and going hiking, camping, etc., in the heat. Our bodies can tolerate much more than anyone realizes. We've become a society of wimps, complaining and bitching about everything. We don't realize how easy we have it. Did anyone know that they have a marathon every year in Death Valley? And for those who complain about 60 degree water..... I just have three words for you: POLAR BEAR CLUB !

There's nothing more powerful than being able to endure a 5K run in 95-100 degree heat, knowing you conquered mother nature at her best :) Heh, I'd love to try running that distance in a 20 inch snowstorm one of these days too, provided there's not too much ice around lol.

A true weather lover loves all extreme weather ;) I love seeing the sheer power of a strong high absolutely obliterate all cloudiness and hold the seabreeze at bay and control the weather for 2/3 to 3/4 of the country..... and it also brings back memories of the truly historic and memorable summers like what we had so much more of in the 90s, just like a big snowstorm winter brings back memories of 95-96 and 02-03. It's truly an awe-inspiring and awesome experience!

I'm fascinated somewhat by heat ridges and breaking records. But I don't find it really exciting weather. I'm more of a storm person, than a temp person. Tracking big winter storms like Nor'easters and hurricanes in the Atlantic and t-storms are more fascinating and exciting to me.

I wish the entire summer consisted of JULY 2000,JULY 2001 or the first 15 days of JULY 2009.

I would redux of the summer of 2008 combine with summer of 1989 with few hotter days mostly in June and July with mostly 70's and 80's through out the summer with active thunderstorm season. Like Miguel, I am more of storm person myself like tracking thunderstorms, winter storms, and hurricanes.

I love snow. But the bottom line for me is that winter weather averages don't compare to summer. The sun sets at four o freaking clock, it's cold and windy..miserable to walk or be outside...awful.

This weather is awesome, girls are wearing less clothes...you can jump in the pool or ocean, baseball is on, beers are cold...man..can you really compare the two?

I guess to each their own.

I love snow. But the bottom line for me is that winter weather averages don't compare to summer. The sun sets at four o freaking clock, it's cold and windy..miserable to walk or be outside...awful.

This weather is awesome, girls are wearing less clothes...you can jump in the pool or ocean, baseball is on, beers are cold...man..can you really compare the two?

Plus listening to and/or watching baseball games pool side! The timing of this heat is awesome with the Yankee Red Sox rivalry, now we just need to win lol.

I'm fascinated somewhat by heat ridges and breaking records. But I don't find it really exciting weather. I'm more of a storm person, than a temp person. Tracking big winter storms like Nor'easters and hurricanes in the Atlantic and t-storms are more fascinating and exciting to me.

Well I love noreasters and hurricanes too-- and I would like nothing more than a 1944/1999 type summer with lots of heat and then a big hurricane coming up the coast to break the drought in September......

Exactly...as a weather enthusiast, storms are what's fun to track. Tracking a Nor'easter and its various permutations on the models is much more complex and exciting than temperature talk. You have so many variables like phasing, 700mb/850mb deformation banding, coastal fronts and associated mesobanding, blocking/speed of storm, etc. That's what makes winter fascinating, there's a lot to study and such a great variety of guidance to compare and synthesize to come up with a realistic forecast. In the summer, since we don't get many synoptic systems and severe weather, while complex, doesn't portend to medium-range forecasting discussion as much, there is nothing to really track.

I love being outside in the winter. To me, cold air makes me feel alive and refreshed. The heat and humidity are exhausting, uncomfortable, unhealthy. I always feel much more awake and joyful on a crisp winter day with blustery NW winds and deep snowpack than during a hazy, polluted, muggy August afternoon. I also love photography, and there's nothing like the low sun angle of early/mid winter to highlight the shadows and contrast inherent in a landscape. I love taking a hike in the woods and studying the play of light on the snow-covered hillsides, with the long shadows and purplish sunsets over the Hudson River being particularly dramatic. From the nature preserve behind my house, I have a great view of the Hudson River and Palisades during the winter, but it's blocked by foliage during the summer. I also enjoy skiing and snowshoeing, or winter hiking in the Green Mountains/Adirondacks, when I get the chance. So I don't find being outside miserable at all, although certainly cabin fever can be an issue.

I do enjoy swimming in summertime, but only in lakes really like at our house in the Poconos. I loathe the chlorine in pools, and the ocean is too rough for a long swimming work-out. I also like to be able to play tennis outside, but this is much better in spring and fall as the humidity makes me sweat like a pig in high summer. It just feels gross. Summers in NYC metro are rough for me.

Exactly...as a weather enthusiast, storms are what's fun to track. Tracking a Nor'easter and its various permutations on the models is much more complex and exciting than temperature talk. You have so many variables like phasing, 700mb/850mb deformation banding, coastal fronts and associated mesobanding, blocking/speed of storm, etc. That's what makes winter fascinating, there's a lot to study and such a great variety of guidance to compare and synthesize to come up with a realistic forecast. In the summer, since we don't get many synoptic systems and severe weather, while complex, doesn't portend to medium-range forecasting discussion as much, there is nothing to really track.

I love being outside in the winter. To me, cold air makes me feel alive and refreshed. The heat and humidity are exhausting, uncomfortable, unhealthy. I always feel much more awake and joyful on a crisp winter day with blustery NW winds and deep snowpack than during a hazy, polluted, muggy August afternoon. I also love photography, and there's nothing like the low sun angle of early/mid winter to highlight the shadows and contrast inherent in a landscape. I love taking a hike in the woods and studying the play of light on the snow-covered hillsides, with the long shadows and purplish sunsets over the Hudson River being particularly dramatic. From the nature preserve behind my house, I have a great view of the Hudson River and Palisades during the winter, but it's blocked by foliage during the summer. I also enjoy skiing and snowshoeing, or winter hiking in the Green Mountains/Adirondacks, when I get the chance. So I don't find being outside miserable at all, although certainly cabin fever can be an issue.

I do enjoy swimming in summertime, but only in lakes really like at our house in the Poconos. I loathe the chlorine in pools, and the ocean is too rough for a long swimming work-out. I also like to be able to play tennis outside, but this is much better in spring and fall as the humidity makes me sweat like a pig in high summer. It just feels gross. Summers in NYC metro are rough for me.

But there is also the pleasure of record temperatures and if you like numbers as much as I do..... stuff like 100 degree days 30+ 90 degree days, that's what really makes a summer memorable. Do I remember a summer like 2008? No... never. Too boring to remember.

Archived