Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Retrograde Snowstorm by 12/5?

CT Rain

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep gonna get chilly here, but I'm very envious of Europe right now. The second great cold spell in two years over there. Where my family in Germany lives (west of Munich) the high is progged to be 16f tomorrow.

This after last years winter over there. They told me in Roscommon, Ireland that there was snow cover for over 2 months straight - unheard of.

Rick, the way things have been going of late, there's no reason to look beyond day 4-5. Like Chris said, the skating will be good.

Boy though, it should would be extra cold if the upcoming pattern was setting up over a blanket of snow.

29.9/21 off a high of 36.2.

I'll be watching in 5 mins. Hopefully you'll mention accumulating snow on air.. Would be a wise move

Not on tonight.

Let's be fair about this though. You forecasted 3-6" for the majority of SNE... then changed it to 1-3 or 4 for the majority of SNE.

I think an inch or two is possible in sporadic areas but the majority of SNE sees less than 1" and most see little or no accumulatiion.

Not on tonight.

Let's be fair about this though. You forecasted 3-6" for the majority of SNE... then changed it to 1-3 or 4 for the majority of SNE.

I think an inch or two is possible in sporadic areas but the majority of SNE sees less than 1" and most see little or no accumulatiion.

Why are you doing beat stories on lighthouses on LI sound? WTF

I think you overall have to like what's depicted. The cold builds in Canada as normal, and the persistent GOA low hugs the west coast of Canada with possible sw ridging..not to mention the block up north persisting. At least imo.

Perhaps the most sensible post of the day. ( I've read them all.)

Not on tonight.

Do you agree with this? This is what we will judge things by.... and 2" or something at 2500 feet in the Berkshires doesn't count.

Yes if someone doesn't see 3 inches then I will have been wrong

Well... an isolated 3" on the MA/NH border doesn't count... you said "majority of SNE" and 1-3 or 4" (this is after you cut your 3-6" for the majority of SNE forecast in half)

If most of SNE doesn't see 1-3 or 4" then you're wrong.

I said majority of SNE doesn't see an inch.

Gotta support Kevin in spirit now that he has come back from the Dark Side. ;)

Of course. I also feel we will get some snow up here in the next few days, one way or another. We graded a lot of muddy, rutted terrain around the site today prepping for a long stretch of below freezing weather. Nothing worse then trying to run the Lull over deeply rutted, frozen terrain. Once the snow gets in here in earnest they drift over leaving places you can posthole into as you walk. The snow is coming Rick.

In the right configuration, can definitely be favorable for us. BUT I'd definitely prefer to see a -NAO in the long range forecasts

It definitely keeps us cold after D10 as the EPO ridging retrogrades out of favorable spot....probably in response to MJO phase going into 4/5...but Iceland block that retrogrades toward greenland keeps the cold funneled down into SE Canada and the northeast while the western and possibly the central states torch.

Probably a good thing too for the potential miller B around Dec 12-13.

It definitely keeps us cold after D10 as the EPO ridging retrogrades out of favorable spot....probably in response to MJO phase going into 4/5...but Iceland block that retrogrades toward greenland keeps the cold funneled down into SE Canada and the northeast while the western and possibly the central states torch.

Probably a good thing too for the potential miller B around Dec 12-13.

With another huge burst of trade winds at 850mb which should lead to a strengthening of the Nina over the next week will that have any influence on what the MJO does? Say the MJO doesn't go into 4/5 what will that mean for the pattern?

With another huge burst of trade winds at 850mb which should lead to a strengthening of the Nina over the next week will that have any influence on what the MJO does? Say the MJO doesn't go into 4/5 what will that mean for the pattern?

It would probably keep the Pacific better looking. As of right now, it looks like the PAC side is going to get a bit ugly post-Dec 10th but the strong NAO blocking (even when its an Iceland block) is keeping SE Canada and NE cold. '68-'69 saw this pattern quite a bit and it was a cold winter, so it (NAO) can really save our bacon in certain setups.

There's other forcing beside the MJO, but I'm not an expert there.

Archived