Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Retrograde Snowstorm by 12/5?

CT Rain

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typhoon Tip

Upon taking in the 12z NAM and comparing it to the 00z and 06z solutions, it almost appears what it is trying to do is a rare collocation of L/W nodal response to the -NAO, with an actual system - that seems to be why the system now 72-84 hours is pegging steadily SW in successive model cycles.

Interesting to say the least - as is Central NE is clearly in with windy warn scenario, and NE mass is getting clipped on this run.

there is a caution flag to fly with respect to the NAM. it's not hard to envision that precip shield backing west like that and it's definitely an exciting thing to think that some snow could very well be flying saturday night...but it could have an uphill battle in a lot of SNE because essentially all of your low to mid-level winds are either N, NW, or W.

we know retro solutions can sweep precip in (obviously we saw it last year) but there were better thermal dynamics at work back then (remember the arctic chill that accompanied that event while the marine air was sweeping down from ME).

not saying it's not worth watching and being excited about, but let's be careful what we call a "snowstorm"

there is a caution flag to fly with respect to the NAM. it's not hard to envision that precip shield backing west like that and it's definitely an exciting thing to think that some snow could very well be flying saturday night...but it could have an uphill battle in a lot of SNE because essentially all of your low to mid-level winds are either N, NW, or W.

we know retro solutions can sweep precip in (obviously we saw it last year) but there were better thermal dynamics at work back then (remember the arctic chill that accompanied that event while the marine air was sweeping down from ME).

not saying it's not worth watching and being excited about, but let's be careful what we call a "snowstorm"

Yes.

As soon as someone calls it a snowstorm, we will remind them to be careful.

CT Blizz is exempt, as he is a special needs child of God.

Yeah this thing certainly does have an uphill battle. If I lived north of Boston I'd certainly be a bit more excited than areas southwest of there.

Yeah this thing certainly does have an uphill battle. If I lived north of Boston I'd certainly be a bit more excited than areas southwest of there.

yeah. i'm not going to be picky about whatever transpires in the next few days anyway, but it's just something to think about. i'll be happy with flakes flying so whatever.

Agreed for sure. It's tough with nw winds, but last year the isentropic lift was pretty dam strong for a time. I think so long as the forcing is there..we'd be ok for some snow, despite nw winds. The NAM is pretty bullish with lift for a time near dawn Sunday.

Agreed for sure. It's tough with nw winds, but last year the isentropic lift was pretty dam strong for a time. I think so long as the forcing is there..we'd be ok for some snow, despite nw winds. The NAM is pretty bullish with lift for a time near dawn Sunday.

nam does have some OK lift for BOS. actually spits out several inches of accumulation for that area.

Yeah it's not completely in the DGZ, but there is some lift in that region.

yeah beggars can't be choosers but i guess ideally you'd like to see that fit better. i was half expecting to fire it up and see the entire S-7h column at like 40% RH...so it was a pleasant surprise in that respect.

i don't think anyone in E MA would complain about that general set-up though.

i wonder if it would be one main band of precip that looks pretty ominous as it pinwheels southwest, before sort of getting chipped apart as it makes its move SW across SNE, then replaced by more intermittent light stuff.

Archived