• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Chit chat and other Banter: May 25th severe weather

I'm not too concerned about this region busting up that much, but I do understand your point about some of the troublemakers/super weenies. The ban hammer should have been dropped a couple times yesterday but wasn't unfortunately. Although this banter thread isnt exactly a bad idea either.

I prefer banter to be in the main thread. All the OMG type posts are nothing but a blip on my way to look for info, but sometimes I like to read the banter if it interests me, then move on. The mentality that everything needs to be compartmentalized and layered like a bureaucracy stems from the failure to discipline troublemakers...rather than get rid of them, let's just keep dividing things up to try to contain them somewhere else.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Mass casualty incident" being reported for Bloomington as per WISHtv8 They are trying to find out more details, say it may have been from earlier storms...and not this line that just went through recently.

And the award Deadliest tornado year goes too since the NWS has been keeping records, goes to, Drum roll

2011!! Common down. Tell us what she's won, Mary.

The right for weenies to say this was an awesome tornado year valid until 1/1/2012

Hearing some pretty wicked thunder at the moment, no lightning though. Kinda cool when all you hear is that and the crickets chirping . . . I think this makes round three for the day so far. None have been really severe, just enough to provide a decent show.

BTW Tornado season is over tomorrow. All models agree on a ridge i the middle country sticking around until day 16, but only because the GFS doesn't go any further.

why wouldnt that just change the areas where tornadoes happen instead of ending the season?

Hearing some pretty wicked thunder at the moment, no lightning though. Kinda cool when all you hear is that and the crickets chirping . . . I think this makes round three for the day so far. None have been really severe, just enough to provide a decent show.

lightning+crickets is good stuff

I can't wait...the lake-michigancentrism of this forum is stifling.

If you guys keep up the complaints against them they'll have them walled off in no time. Problem solved, no moderation needed.

I haven't seen any complaining from michigan posters, but perhaps they have been removed. Never had any problems with anyone or have I seen anything get hostile. Just a few true statements that could be taken as complaining if your reading through and take something the wrong way. If someone doesn't like the large number of posters from one region in a thread wouldn't it be common sense to go elsewhere than to complain and make comments that could be taken as offense. I understand some weather enthusiasts here take weather more serious than others and want certain threads pinned for future reference but I see no reason to make separate threads for practically the same event. Some people are more advanced than others and the only issue I have seen is the more experienced weather enthusiasts aren't respecting others not on their knowledge level. An example would be yesterday (or possibly the 23rd) when a few of the SE MI posters were commenting on the severe weather for the cuirrent day in the correct topic thread. That thread just so happened to include the day before, joplin, MO thread. There weren't many users online at the time the new thread was made. We weren't taking up pages and pages making it hard for those members discussing the joplin event to keep up. I took it as sort of disrespect for someone who wasn't a moderator, met, etc to make a new thread and push a few people into a different thread.

lightning+crickets is good stuff

Lightning bugs = mother nature's solution.

Agreed though, that is a classic summer scene to me. Screw all this rain around here, a lot of farmers haven't even began to get in the fields yet. Doesn't look to be a great year if this keeps up much longer.

June and July just moves tornado season up to Minnesota and the Prairie Provinces of Canada, it fades but you can see it when it migrates back to the Gulf in October and November for Winter Holiday,

September 11, 1961, besides being before I was born, and one a day Steve is fond of, had the rare out of season F-4 tornadoes in Galveston.

why wouldnt that just change the areas where tornadoes happen instead of ending the season?

Maybe the Dakotas and extreme NNE have a shot in that pattern. The east side of the troff axis is over Idaho however, not good dewpoints there.

Not sure how to link a radar loop to a particular point in time, but right now I'm looking at ILN and the approaching squall line. As the line is headed east, cells are forming and shooting NEward. Some get swallowed up and some gain strength and go on their own. Is the air just that much more unstable than ahead of other squall lines I've seen before? These individual cells all seem to be training over the same area as well.:huh: Thanks for any enlightenment.

Hope everyone enjoyed the theatrics and pray for the dead. Quite the severe weather season. Probably the end of the road of the surge as the pattern changes towards summer. Everybody wanted it, demanded it. Said the previous years were to weak. I think that wasn't such a bad thing eh?

Just wondering, who? The last several years have been anything but weak, as anyone who has tracked the Greensburg, Parkersburg, Six-State, Caruthersville, Yazoo City, Super Tuesday, etc. etc. etc. events can attest to.

Hope everyone enjoyed the theatrics and pray for the dead. Quite the severe weather season. Probably the end of the road of the surge as the pattern changes towards summer. Everybody wanted it, demanded it. Said the previous years were to weak. I think that wasn't such a bad thing eh?

None of the severe posters on this forum said anything like that. Nice try though. And enjoyed the theatrics? What the hell are you talking about? Do you think people enjoyed all the death this year? The way you talk, people on this forum willed all the death this year to happen.

I had a problem, big problem with the Storm Prediction Center Convective Outlook when I logged on yesterday morning at 7 a.m.(Wednesday May 25) and the outlook was slight chance of tornados at 15%. I decided to blow off the drive from extreme NW Iowa to my target area of St. Louis to Quincy to Springfield IL as a slight chance was not worth it. At midnight the night before, I had picked my target area, contacted people from Illinois that were chasing, and talked with a chase partner from the April 19 storms. When I looked at the weather again at 11:30 a.m., I saw they had changed the forecast to moderate or higher. I don't see how such a mistake can be made by experienced meteorologists and how someone like myself with zero seconds of Meteorology School could call it more accurately. I certainly have no problem with the budget cuts taking a big slash out of the NWS and SPC budgets for staffing after that. And that follows continuous without exception terrible forecasting done in the winter, especially out of the NWS Office in Sioux Falls SD. Can I do better someone will insinuate or ask? Yes!

I had a problem, big problem with the Storm Prediction Center Convective Outlook when I logged on yesterday morning at 7 a.m.(Wednesday May 25) and the outlook was slight chance of tornados at 15%. I decided to blow off the drive from extreme NW Iowa to my target area of St. Louis to Quincy to Springfield IL as a slight chance was not worth it. At midnight the night before, I had picked my target area, contacted people from Illinois that were chasing, and talked with a chase partner from the April 19 storms. When I looked at the weather again at 11:30 a.m., I saw they had changed the forecast to moderate or higher. I don't see how such a mistake can be made by experienced meteorologists and how someone like myself with zero seconds of Meteorology School could call it more accurately. I certainly have no problem with the budget cuts taking a big slash out of the NWS and SPC budgets for staffing after that. And that follows continuous without exception terrible forecasting done in the winter, especially out of the NWS Office in Sioux Falls SD. Can I do better someone will insinuate or ask? Yes!

Let me get this straight, 1. You blew off the chase because of an SPC outlook, which means you have no idea how to forecast to begin with. 2. 15% hatched risk of tornadoes is NOT a slight chance. 3. You say SPC made a mistake? Just wtf are you talking about? Are you drunk? What did you want them to do? Do you even know how the probabilities of the outlooks work? 4. The original Day 1 outlook was Moderate Risk to begin with, so your completely wrong there. And was upgraded to High Risk at the 1300 UTC Outlook. Any higher probs in the outlooks were NOT warranted, so I don't know what the hell you wanted them to do. 5. Then after making idiotic statements throughout your whole post, you trash the NWS office in Sioux Falls? I suggest you stop posting before you look like the biggest moron on this board, IF you haven't already.

Prove it.

Looking forward to the suite of 06Z, 13Z, 1630Z, 2000Z, and 01Z convective outlooks, 4-8 day forecasts, Fire Wx Outlooks, Watches, Mesoscale Discussions, and Thunderstorm Probability Outlooks from you.

First of all, you have no idea what you are talking about. Saint Louis was under a moderate risk from the very first day 1 issuance at 0600z.

Secondly, there are a lot of variables that have come together just right in order to get an outbreak of severe weather of any kind and especially tornadoes. You can't just go tossing high risks out there because there looks to be the potential for a massive outbreak...you have to be darn sure that it is going to happen. If you think that you can do it better, then by all means apply for any kind of forecasting position...let me know how far you get. Or even better, go get a degree and maybe then you will have some respect for the uncertainty of the science that the amount of stress that comes from that on days like yesterday and Tuesday.

Third, you obviously have no idea how the probabilities work. Call off a chase because there is only a HUGE area of 15 hatched tornado probs? You are crazy.

Please read more and post less.

I am not a big fan of the chit chat thread. Hoosier is not either. While it could be a good idea, then we just have the problem of people posting relevant information in here when it should be in the other thread. Folks just need to be cognizant of the situation at hand. When there is a massive and life threatening severe weather outbreak going on, I don't want to see people complaining about getting "pathetic squall lines" or "outflow dominant junk". Complaining about the lack of monster supercells in their backyard or bashing SPC for having their slight risk 5 miles too far north when there is significant high risk event will not be tolerated. 5 posting will be dropped hard from now with explanation given later. I hope folks understand that.

I am not a big fan of the chit chat thread. Hoosier is not either. While it could be a good idea, then we just have the problem of people posting relevant information in here when it should be in the other thread. Folks just need to be cognizant of the situation at hand. When there is a massive and life threatening severe weather outbreak going on, I don't want to see people complaining about getting "pathetic squall lines" or "outflow dominant junk". Complaining about the lack of monster supercells in their backyard or bashing SPC for having their slight risk 5 miles too far north when there is significant high risk event will not be tolerated. 5 posting will be dropped hard from now with explanation given later. I hope folks understand that.

This will solve the problem, end of story.

Archived