Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Chit chat and other Banter: May 25th severe weather

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would personally say this is a bad idea, as everyone probably has different definitions of what constitutes chit-chat and banter. Just my opinion though.

well when we get a stream of OMG later at least we have a place to move it.

Good idea...at the worst it can be the 'b**ch and moan'/I got screwed/I never get any good storms/ whine thread if nothing else.

I sure as hell hope this busts big time. I am sick of ****ing tornadoes and they can go to hell. Not one more dammit. Enough!

*but I will follow any that develop closely though of course with the rest of y'all...

Not naming names...no need to as I have already been to today's thread. lol.

Is there a SEMI summer equivalent of dilly84 in winter?

Can think of 2 ATM...just go back and read every severe thread from April-Now and you should get the idea and names..Much love for the crew but sometimes all you can do is this.....................

:facepalm:

Can think of 2 ATM...just go back and read every severe thread from April-Now and you should get the idea and names..Much love for the crew but sometimes all you can do is this.....................

:facepalm:

The Southern Ontario crew is much the same elsewhere. Must be a Great Lakes thing.

Regarding the various live streams coming out and linked, I hope none of the on air mets/weatherpeople are as awful as that pair in Dallas last night-they were awful and the thread was filling up with people bitching about them lol. They were really bad though. Especially compared to the OKC ones. Wonder what today will bring? Brilliance or imcompetence?

Wonder what today will bring? Brilliance or imcompetence?

Probably a bit of both...there's enough geographical coverage to virtually ensure that we'll encounter fabulous streaming analysis and some really bad analysis as well.

Probably a bit of both...there's enough geographical coverage to virtually ensure that we'll encounter fabulous streaming analysis and some really bad analysis as well.

You are probably right. (I am just trying to get this thread going so it might actually work when we get the gritty nitty later, ya know?)

I am surprised I am in a Tornado Watch. In a ****ing mobile home and NO place nearby to escape to. [sEMI mode] well we will get screwed over as always so it really does not matter anyway. [/sEMI mode].

good mesoscale discussion from izzi at LOT

COMPLEX SCENARIO UNFOLDING THIS AFTERNOON WITH SYNOPTIC SCALE

WARM FRONT EXTENDING FROM THE CHICAGO METRO AREA WEST-SOUTHWEST TO

JUST SOUTH OF MOLINE. CONVECTION FROM THIS MORNING HAS LEFT A WELL

DEFINED OUTFLOW BOUNDARY ALIGNED CLOSELY WITH INTERSTATE 70...WELL

TO THE SOUTH OF THE SYNOPTIC WARM FRONT. AIRMASS TO THE NORTH OF

THIS OUTFLOW AND SOUTH OF THE WARM FRONT HAS BEEN COOLED AND

SOMEWHAT STABILIZED BY MORNING CONVECTION...HOWEVER 1800 UTC

SOUNDING FROM ILX INDICATES THAT THIS STABLE LAYER IS SOMEWHAT

SHALLOW. IN ADDITION...PLUME OF STEEP MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES ARE IN

PLACE AND WITH VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGERY SUGGESTING SEVERAL HOURS

OF SUNSHINE TO COME WE EXPECT BOTH HEATING AND RETREATING OUTFLOW

BOUNDARY TO ALLOW FOR ATMOSPHERE TO GROW INCREASINGLY UNSTABLE AND

RECOVER FROM THE EFFECTS OF THE MORNING STORMS.

WHERE SUFFICIENT INSTABILITY DEVELOPS WIND PROFILES WILL BE VERY

FAVORABLE FOR SUPERCELLS AND SOMEWHAT FAVORABLE FOR TORNADOES.

QUESTIONS LINGER ABOUT CONVECTIVE MODE AS IN TIME CONVECTION OVER

MISSOURI WILL LIKELY CONGEAL INTO MORE OF A QLCS WITH THREAT

TRANSITIONING TO DAMAGING WINDS AND BRIEF QLCS TORNADOES. ANY

DISCRETE CELLS DEVELOPING AHEAD OF THE ORGANIZING QLCS WOULD

CERTAINLY POSE A MORE SIGNIFICANT TORNADO THREAT...THOUGH ITS

UNCLEAR IF ANY SUCH STORMS WILL DEVELOP INTO OUR CWA.

THE SYNOPTIC FRONT SHOULD BEGIN TO DRIFT SOUTHWARD AND WILL LIMIT

THE NORTHWARD EXTENT OF POTENTIAL WIND DAMAGE AND CERTAINLY

TORNADO THREAT AS COLDER BOUNDARY LAYER AIRMASS SPREADS SOUTHWARD.

STILL THINKING THE MOST SIGNIFICANT SEVERE THREAT WILL BE OVER

OVER SOUTHERN CWA AND PRIMARILY AFTER 23Z. HOWEVER DEEPENING

CUMULUS FIELD EVIDENT ON VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGERY OVER NORTH

CENTRAL ILLINOIS WILL NEED TO BE MONITORED THE NEXT COUPLE HOURS

FOR POSSIBLE CONVECTIVE INITIATION.

Nah no need, other SEMI posters just need to ease up off the gas and stop assuming every event is going to be the 'OMG ITS THE END OF THE WORLD' event. :P

I don't think slight risks mean as much as they used to in the last few years. I could remember not that long ago when a slight risk almost guaranteed a watch, and we'd at least see a decent squall come through the area and produce some events. Mind you, the worst event I've seen, May 21st, '04 happened on a slight risk. I've been through all 3 threat levels in the last 2 years, and seen hardly anything. Even on a high risk last October, nothing. I definitely don't think the world is going to end, actually the complete opposite.

While severe storms continue to rip apart the rest of the USA, I think many can come here to Metro Detroit to seek refuge from all of it. If you don't like severe weather, hurricanes, or any bad natural disaster, just come live here. I'm serious.

I don't think slight risks mean as much as they used to in the last few years. I could remember not that long ago when a slight risk almost guaranteed a watch, and we'd at least see a decent squall come through the area and produce some events. Mind you, the worst event I've seen, May 21st, '04 happened on a slight risk. I've been through all 3 threat levels in the last 2 years, and seen hardly anything. Even on a high risk last October, nothing. I definitely don't think the world is going to end, actually the complete opposite.

While severe storms continue to rip apart the rest of the USA, I think many can come here to Metro Detroit to seek refuge from all of it. If you don't like severe weather, hurricanes, or any bad natural disaster, just come live here. I'm serious.

See no offense but this is kinda what I mean, talking in a definite tone is very dangerous with respect to meteorology. Sure there might be something to your comment about slight risks not meaning as much. but I think it has more to do with expectations. If we were in a high like last year with the Octobomb and it doesn't yield, people start wondering what happened to the severe weather that was expected. Where as if the Octobomb day was a slight for Michigan then the expectations would have been substantially lower.

I think the whole point of this is that to me it seems silly to complain about weather missing or not missing the area, and for whatever reason our locale all of a sudden has a larger than normal amount of complaining going on.

I have a friend on business in Memphis who is mocking me because he randomly ended up in a high risk after I searched for slight risks a few weeks ago.

To be honest what is the odds you go out West storm chasing during the one time of the season things weren't hyperactive. I think its just best to laugh it off.

To be honest what is the odds you go out West storm chasing during the one time of the season things weren't hyperactive. I think its just best to laugh it off.

I've been trying to figure that out since I got back. Maybe I'll just believe god was protecting me.. Yeah that's it!

See no offense but this is kinda what I mean, talking in a definite tone is very dangerous with respect to meteorology. Sure there might be something to your comment about slight risks not meaning as much. but I think it has more to do with expectations. If we were in a high like last year with the Octobomb and it doesn't yield, people start wondering what happened to the severe weather that was expected. Where as if the Octobomb day was a slight for Michigan then the expectations would have been substantially lower.

I think the whole point of this is that to me it seems silly to complain about weather missing or not missing the area, and for whatever reason our locale all of a sudden has a larger than normal amount of complaining going on.

I'm not necessarily complaining about the lack of weather. I'm actually agreeing with you with people expecting a lot. I just never seen so many busts. Either forecasting just became much harder for SEMI in the last few years, or forecasters feel it's better to say "it might happen" more. I'm just trying to understand our area, it just seems there were more verifications then.

Archived