Newest Member
    amirah5
May 24 Plains/MW Severe Threat

Helicity

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should probably be a 5

For you to say that, that's actually pretty amazing. Do you have any pictures of the damage that would support an EF5 rating?

If any one of the tornadoes is rated EF5 (from their assessments during 5/10/10, it would appear OUN is pretty liberal with ratings), two different systems would have spawned two EF5's within two days of each other, and there would be five EF5's this year. Given that we saw two EF5's in the ten years between 2000 and 2009, that would be impressive to say the least.

I'm not trying to downplay it at all, which I'm sure would be expected by some given my bust of a two weeks out there (I may be the only person not to see a tornado this year)... There was just some hyperventilating in the leadup IMO.

It could be that we were one small shift away from a much more disastrous situation--and as you note, it did really start off big. Had that continued into the evening in OK and the stuff in TX produced a bit better this might not even be a discussion to have.

My "weather job" is heavily tied to communicating to the public, so I tend to look at things in that light. I just think in many situations over recent years the hysteria has grown to a level that is not helpful in many cases. Shoot, we had 400 people in this thread with 6 pages of OMG as a tornado was ripping up a field with a few houses here and there. That's a pretty common occurrence whether or not yesterday was as a whole.

Maybe a common occurrence but it's not always witnessed in such clarity live on television with people crawling out of the wreckage. I think the surprise and awe of that was totally warranted.

Maybe a common occurrence but it's not always witnessed in such clarity live on television with people crawling out of the wreckage. I think the surprise and awe of that was totally warranted.

not when it's six pages of one word crap posts. though honestly i hate "the crowds" anyway....

Sounds titillating, looking forward to additional survey details that will come out later.

You and me both.

I was more focused on the radar and NWS Chat yesterday when I was at the station, so I didn't really pay attention to the damage much.

I don't have any info on damage surveys, I should also clarify I don't think it will actually be upgraded to EF-5.

I don't think many people in the OKC metro realize how large of a bullet was dodged this past Tuesday. With 3 strong/violent tornadoes nearby, Edmond/OKC/Moore/Norman was spared. The El Reno storm never turned right and the Chickasha/Newcastle tornado was turning left and lifted before hitting Moore. I still hear the Downtown OKC/Downtown Norman can't be hit crap all the time, and I'm sure this event will lend more "credence" to those believers.

Yeah, it was very close to being very bad.

I was sure the Chickasha storm was going to be really ugly for Norman/Moore, but it was amazing how fast it dissipated and that random left turn. Definitely some good fortune there.

I don't think many people in the OKC metro realize how large of a bullet was dodged this past Tuesday. With 3 strong/violent tornadoes nearby, Edmond/OKC/Moore/Norman was spared. The El Reno storm never turned right and the Chickasha/Newcastle tornado was turning left and lifted before hitting Moore. I still hear the Downtown OKC/Downtown Norman can't be hit crap all the time, and I'm sure this event will lend more "credence" to those believers.

Shift everything east by a few miles, or delay the squall line formation by 30 min, and this would've surpassed 5/3/99. Give Dallas area about LCLs 500' lower, and this would've surpassed Joplin. Very scary.

Shift everything east by a few miles, or delay the squall line formation by 30 min, and this would've surpassed 5/3/99. Give Dallas area about LCLs 500' lower, and this would've surpassed Joplin. Very scary.

Yeah this is the first outbreak this year where a few big bullets were dodged. This could have easily been very very bad through the points you make.

rampant speculation ftw :snowman:

Archived