• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Tree Ident. please..New Pics!

dsaur

I know some of you weather loving tree people, or tree loving weather people can help me out and identify this tree. I used to live next to it, and dearly loved it, but never knew what it was. I'm going with Silver Beech, but I'm not the least bit sure. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Tony

Edit: Got the goods, finally. New Pics. I'm going with asexual/cottonless cottonwood because of the lower trunk, but the leaves don't have the point...so I'm still not so sure :) I've ordered a cottonless cottonwood so I'm curious to see what the leaves on a known true hybred look like. If I'm wrong, oh well, I love trees so I'll just order up some more when I/you figure out what it is :) T

newtrunk1.jpg

newtrunk2.jpg

newtrunk3.jpg

newtrunk4.jpg

newleaves1.jpg

newleaves2.jpg

newleaves3.jpg

Thanks for the responses! Yeah, bad pics but I have to get permission to get in close and can't find the folks home.

Birch, I thought, had peeling bark, and this didn't peel. Not sheets of canoe bark anyway. It is ten years since I lived there and it has grown a good bit, so it is a big growing tree.

The leaves are lighter on the bottom and when the wind blows they dance around and flip from back to front, and back, so it kind of shimmers in the afternoon sun. It also had sprouts that would come up from it's roots so there would be 30 or 40 little clones growing up all around it until you cut the grass and them with it. I rooted some of the sprouts when I moved but they didn't make it in the drought.

I've looked all over the inner webs but can't find a great site full of pics for comparison. Best I can come up with is some kind of beech. The guy who used rent it to me, was heavy into Burpee catalogs and such and it could be some odd brand of tree from anywhere in the world. So I don't ask for help lightly. Thanks ya'll. Tony

Edit: Ok, now I think it's an asexual cotton wood, as it didn't have the cotton the females have. And the non females propagate by root sprouts among other things.

And this....".The leaf of the cottonwood is also a good identifying characteristic. They are bright green and have a broad triangular shape. The base of the leaf is relatively straight. Its edges are jagged and the tip of the leaf comes to a sharp point. Any breeze at all make the leaves twist and turn on their

petiole (stem). Even on what appears to be a still day, the cottonwood leaves create a glimmering

effect because of this phenomena."

And they grow big fast. This pdf. says they can grow like this one has. At least 50 feet in 10 years.

http://www.kshs.org/teachers/trunks/pdfs/symb_jtree.pdf

Thanks for the responses! Yeah, bad pics but I have to get permission to get in close and can't find the folks home.

Birch, I thought, had peeling bark, and this didn't peel. Not sheets of canoe bark anyway. It is ten years since I lived there and it has grown a good bit, so it is a big growing tree.

The leaves are lighter on the bottom and when the wind blows they dance around and flip from back to front, and back, so it kind of shimmers in the afternoon sun. It also had sprouts that would come up from it's roots so there would be 30 or 40 little clones growing up all around it until you cut the grass and them with it. I rooted some of the sprouts when I moved but they didn't make it in the drought.

I've looked all over the inner webs but can't find a great site full of pics for comparison. Best I can come up with is some kind of beech. The guy who used rent it to me, was heavy into Burpee catalogs and such and it could be some odd brand of tree from anywhere in the world. So I don't ask for help lightly. Thanks ya'll. Tony

Edit: Ok, now I think it's an asexual cotton wood, as it didn't have the cotton the females have. And the non females propagate by root sprouts among other things.

And this....".The leaf of the cottonwood is also a good identifying characteristic. They are bright green and have a broad triangular shape. The base of the leaf is relatively straight. Its edges are jagged and the tip of the leaf comes to a sharp point. Any breeze at all make the leaves twist and turn on their

petiole (stem). Even on what appears to be a still day, the cottonwood leaves create a glimmering

And they grow big fast. This pdf. says they can grow like this one has. At least 50 feet in 10 years.

http://www.kshs.org/.../symb_jtree.pdf

that is a characteristic of trees in the Populous family, such as Aspen and Cotton Wood...Cotton Woods are very large trees

I really don't think it's a birch. The only one that should grow 40 miles south of Atl is a river birch and that's not a river birch.

My first thought was also river birch, bu i just can tell from those pics. It has the look of one but i can't positively ID it

http://www.kshs.org/.../symb_jtree.pdf

It's not a cottonwood. The bark is to smooth. It's a quaking aspen tree that someone planted. I realize they aren't native around here, but that's what it is...lol.

It's not a cottonwood. The bark is to smooth. It's a quaking aspen tree that someone planted. I realize they aren't native around here, but that's what it is...lol.

Well, it didn't have fruit, flowers or catkins..but I guess it could be asexual like the cottonless cottonwood...genetic engineering to serve us :)

I can see I'll have to catch the present owners home and get permission to pick some leaves and take a close up of the bark.

At least I think it is narrowed down to the populus family of trees.

Thanks again for the input! T

Oh man I love trees. I plant them all the time. I've grown oaks from acorns as well. I had a similar problem with a grove of trees around my father in law's house. I couldn't identify it even using books. I think I finally settled on paper mulberry. Those trees also grow a lot of shoots up and spread as a group if you don't mow. One of the leaves in your picture looked like that, but I sort of doubt that is what it is, just musing. I think the bark is too light to be a paper mulberry. Do the leaves turn yellow in the fall and are they real fine leaves that disintegrate when the lay on the ground for a while?

Hey, Tim. Yep, the leaves didn't stay around for long. Seemed like they got crumbly pretty quick. I know I didn't do any raking and bagging. Seems like I remember the leaves going yellow, or bleached out anyway.

I seem to remember the leaves having more jagged edges like a cottonwood, but I don't remember the sharp point. The aspen leaves seem too rounded and less jagged. I guess I won't know until I can get close to it and pick some leaves. I tried to compare the leaves in a tree book I had back then, but couldn't match them to anything in the book, but like I say that was 10 years back, and it was a much smaller, younger tree. This thing has easily grown 50 to 70 feet since then. One thing is it didn't have blisters on the bark like the aspen seems to have, and I don't remember it looking like the deep rutted skin of a mature cottonwood I just found a pic of. T

from the little bark i could see it has Aspen like bark...is that what the entire bark is like, or on the older parts of the tree does the pseudo-paperlike bark turn to thick plating? could be a big tooth aspen...cotton woods have thick plating for bark especially on the older parts of the tree...

If you haven't figured it out, I could ask one of my Plant Biology professors at NC State, including the head of the department. I'm interested as well, but they might not even know for sure without closer pictures of the leaves or bark...the leaves are probably the most identifiable part.

Yep, I'm going to try to get over that way tomorrow and see if I can catch them home. Can't see me going into someone's backyard and picking leaves from their tree without permission, lol. And I think this is going to take getting some leaves. Tony

The tree isn't as big as I thought either. It may have grown 30 feet, but not much more. T

Thanks, Tim! Sure fits the bill, down to the more rounded leaf end, and the white underside. I was having trouble with the aspen as it was more saw toothed on the leaves, and wasn't so sure about the cotton wood, as both have a sharper point at the leaf end.

Thanks all! Now if ya'll could help me identify that girl I fell in love with at the 2nd Atlanta Pop Festival, I'd be a happy man in my old age, lol. Tony

Ok looks like we can close this one out ;-) Got it.

White Poplar

http://www.cirrusima...hite_poplar.htm

height 50-80ft

invasive

leaves simple alternate

leaves white underside .

trunk white gray smooth above, furrowed at base

I too thought of Populus alba L.

Here are some herbarium sheets of the species: http://www.ibiblio.org/pic/Tree_pages/Populus_alba.htm

I emailed a professor of mine, we should have confirmation here shortly!

Archived