• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Tree Ident. please..New Pics!

dsaur

Thanks for that, Jon! It sure looks like an Alba.

But when I wander about the inner nets, I find stuff like this...also an alba..and it doesn't look anything like my leaves. Mine must be a cultivar or variety, but descriptions of the most popular don't match either. I may have to pay some money and get the lady to let me dig some of the volunteers up :)

Alba....... popalb02.jpg These leaves have deep cuts in the margin unlike my leaves, which have a rounded edge and are not deeply cut.

Confusion reigns :) Tony

Thanks for that, Jon! It sure looks like an Alba.

But when I wander about the inner nets, I find stuff like this...also an alba..and it doesn't look anything like my leaves. Mine must be a cultivar or variety, but descriptions of the most popular don't match either. I may have to pay some money and get the lady to let me dig some of the volunteers up :)

Alba....... popalb02.jpg These leaves have deep cuts in the margin unlike my leaves, which have a rounded edge and are not deeply cut.

Confusion reigns :) Tony

The white poplar usually has the shape of the leaves you show there. They grey poplar is probably closest to what you have:

37.jpg

Unfortunately they can look very similar and some people mix the two up, causing mass confusion on the internets. The Grey Poplar is a hybrid in which one parent is a Populus alba (white poplar) and another is an Aspen.

Check out these herbarium sheets:

White Poplar (Populus alba) http://www.ibiblio.o...opulus_alba.htm

Grey Poplar (Populus X canescens) http://www.ibiblio.o...X_canescens.htm

My professor still hasn't emailed me back so we're playing the waiting game here.

if I need to put this in another string, let me know. don't want to hijack. But I have struggled with one tree myself (actually a grove or copse? of trees) at my in-laws house. They are very invasive and hard to ID. After much back and forth I decided on Paper Mulberry The leaves are simple, opposite, ovate, toothed, symmetrical base. They turn yellow in the fall and disintegrate when they hit the ground, and pretty much make a mess. Heck of a shade tree though.

post-3599-0-38402500-1306434446.jpg

post-3599-0-59733500-1306434491.jpg

Have at it, Tim! As long as folks don't start complaining about my thread, the more the merrier :) I've found an arborist site that I'm going to join and pester them a while too, lol. What tickles me is I'm trying to find the exact type of an invasive, trash tree to lots of people. Oh, well, life is short and you need to have what makes you happy, if you can!

Don't know about your tree. The big leaves looked catabawerish at first glance, but they aren't shaped right and aren't big enough.

Good luck, Tony

if I need to put this in another string, let me know. don't want to hijack. But I have struggled with one tree myself (actually a grove or copse? of trees) at my in-laws house. They are very invasive and hard to ID. After much back and forth I decided on Paper Mulberry The leaves are simple, opposite, ovate, toothed, symmetrical base. They turn yellow in the fall and disintegrate when they hit the ground, and pretty much make a mess. Heck of a shade tree though.

Does it have mulberries like pictured here? Does this tree ever have fruit?

Paper-Mulberry-Broussonetia-papyrifera.jpg

A few things, the Moraceae family doesn't have a single other species in it that look like the species in your picture so I'm guessing your guess of Broussonetia papyrifera is a really good one.

The leaves look opposite, but they could be alternate. I imagine you know for a fact they're opposite? It's hard finding a species with all these characteristics matching up...get more results with alternate.

The leaves shape is definitely ovate as you stated.

The leaves look unlobed and no lobed leaves present, makes me shy away from mulberry a little since they're usually found with unlobed and lobed leaves correct?

The leaf margins are definitely finely serrate.

The leaf tips are most likely acuminate, but not positive.

The leaf base is obtuse I believe.

So with that info, we can probably narrow it down some, but it won't be easy. I'll look for something worth showing and get back to ya...everything I keep finding is a little off by a single detail, tricky!

Have at it, Tim! As long as folks don't start complaining about my thread, the more the merrier :) I've found an arborist site that I'm going to join and pester them a while too, lol. What tickles me is I'm trying to find the exact type of an invasive, trash tree to lots of people. Oh, well, life is short and you need to have what makes you happy, if you can!

Don't know about your tree. The big leaves looked catabawerish at first glance, but they aren't shaped right and aren't big enough.

Good luck, Tony

BTW just letting you know I'm still looking into yours. It might have stumped my prof a little and he just hasn't emailed me back...he's not the one to ignore emails, so I take it he's too busy atm with a summer class and/or trying to figure out what the heck it is he's looking at!

• 2 weeks later...

A few things, the Moraceae family doesn't have a single other species in it that look like the species in your picture so I'm guessing your guess of Broussonetia papyrifera is a really good one.

The leaves look opposite, but they could be alternate. I imagine you know for a fact they're opposite? It's hard finding a species with all these characteristics matching up...get more results with alternate.

The leaves shape is definitely ovate as you stated.

The leaves look unlobed and no lobed leaves present, makes me shy away from mulberry a little since they're usually found with unlobed and lobed leaves correct?

The leaf margins are definitely finely serrate.

The leaf tips are most likely acuminate, but not positive.

The leaf base is obtuse I believe.

So with that info, we can probably narrow it down some, but it won't be easy. I'll look for something worth showing and get back to ya...everything I keep finding is a little off by a single detail, tricky!

Jon,

Sorry took me so long to reply. we were on vacation.

Yes, the leaves are alternate (not opposite as I mistakenly wrote the first time) got my opposites and alternates mixed up.

the leaves in my pic are all non-lobed, but there are some that are lobed. In fact, the young sprout trees are extremely deeply lobed.

As far as the fruit, can't remember exactly, but I remember there are lots of it and its messy. it looks more like the longer piece of fruit in the picture, but I haven't payed that close attention to the fruit.

Archived