• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Our first legit shot at some severe weather?

weatherwiz

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least half of that death toll was a result of the associated severe weather over the southeast

No it wasn't...that killed like 50 people out of the 300....most of the deaths in winter storms are auto related though in that storm there were quite a number of deaths at sea.

"Most of these northern cities were prepared for snow but most deaths occurred due to traffic accidents or heart attacks from shoveling snow. In New York State alone, there were 23 deaths."

It is what it is...I spoke of death tolls, nothing else....fact not opinion.

Maybe I'm alone, but I'd rather a 2X4 through the head, than slowly and methodically freezing to death in my vehicle, on rt 128.

A lot of the '78 deaths on 128 were CO poisoning. Tailpipe stuff, no Sarah McLaughlin at the time though.

Insane event in the south.

250 k/j of cape in some parts of NNE.... lol.... it really is a shame there is no instability it would be a great day for sne levels of svr

Too early in the season for us. We almost never have good April severe wx. The few good outbreaks we get are usually late May through July.

It is what it is...I spoke of death tolls, nothing else....fact not opinion.

Maybe I'm alone, but I'd rather a 2X4 through the dead, than slowly and methodically freezing to death in my vehicle, on rt 128.

Well that probably won't happen again..lol. But, I'm just stating why media tends to be fascinated with severe like this. The damage they cause and the life threatening situations that arise are a different beast.

Well that probably won't happen again..lol. But, I'm just stating why media tends to be fascinated with severe like this. The damage they cause and the life threatening situations that arise are a different beast.

I agree....I will grant you that deaths attributable to winter storms are more preventative and as our forecasts grow more accurate with an increasingly long lead time, they should grow more sparse......bit lower of a correlation I would wager between forecast veracity\lead time and death tolls with respect to severe wx.

I agree....I will grant you that deaths attributable to winter storms are more preventative and as our forecasts grow more accurate with an increasingly lead time, they should grow more sparse......bit lower of a correlation I would wager between forecast veracity\lead time and death tolls.

Unfortunately in winter...as I always say, you're only as good as the other idots on the road. It's the terd who is driving down 93 in his F350 doing 65mph over a snow covered interstate that causes a 20 car pile-up and subsequent deaths. I can have a heavy foot on normal sunny days, but I'm pretty cautious in driving in the snow. I love it, but I'm smart about it.

Unfortunately in winter...as I always say, you're only as good as the other idots on the road. It's the terd who is driving down 93 in his F350 doing 65mph over a snow covered interstate that causes a 20 car pile-up and subsequent deaths. I can have a heavy foot on normal sunny days, but I'm pretty cautious in driving in the snow. I love it, but I'm smart about it.

Same.

Heavy, heavy feet.

I still don't understand why people in these parts of the country build wood frame homes.... In the UK (for instance) where they get very severe straight line winds every year - almost every thing is concrete block.... Nobody wants to rebuild after every strorm out break. Grant it...a strong F4 is even going to damage even that, but pope might have survived at least. And good construction should whether all the F1/F2 and F3 tornadoes..... Also you could have a steel frame and concrete....

Per Jim Cantore this is the third deadliest tornado outbreak in the last 50 years only behind '74 and Palm Sunday '65

I still don't understand why people in these parts of the country build wood frame homes.... In the UK (for instance) where they get very severe straight line winds every year - almost every thing is concrete block.... Nobody wants to rebuild after every strorm out break. Grant it...a strong F4 is even going to damage even that, but pope might have survived at least. And good construction should whether all the F1/F2 and F3 tornadoes..... Also you could have a steel frame and concrete....

I believe much of that has to do with the availability (lack) and cost of wood in the UK.

That may be true, but it's illogical to continue to build here to code that cannot begin to withstand these storms...at l least to a F3 level. I feel sorry for thse people, but they choose to live life on the edge ..gambling that that it won't hit their town. Then when it does strike FEMA money (our tax dollars) pours in and there will be a construction boom ...of the same kind of throw away structures..... until next time.

Maybe the individuals didn't choose it, but their state government could have long since passed building codes to deal with their reality like CA does with earthquakes.

I believe much of that has to do with the availability (lack) and cost of wood in the UK.

Archived