• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Our first legit shot at some severe weather?

weatherwiz

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 249

CONTINUES.

A NEARLY SOLID QLCS WILL CONTINUE MOVING NEWD AT 40 TO 50 KT ACROSS

PORTIONS OF ERN NY AND NERN PA...AND MOVE INTO THE HUDSON VALLEY AND

ALBANY AREA DURING THE NEXT HALF HOUR TO HOUR. MARGINAL INSTABILITY

PRECEDING THE QLCS WILL ALLOW IT TO BE MAINTAINED AS IT CONTINUES

TRACKING NORTHEAST...GIVEN EFFECTIVE BULK SHEAR MAGNITUDES AROUND 60

KT. AS SUCH...THE WW MAY NEED TO BE EXTENDED EWD TO THE NEW YORK

BORDER. THE PRIMARY THREAT WILL CONTINUE TO BE DMGG WINDS...GIVEN

SSWLY WINDS OF 40-50 KT AROUND 1 KM AGL PER ALBANY VWP.

HOWEVER...WITH 0-1-KM STORM-RELATIVE HELICITY VALUES DERIVED FROM

THE VWP OF 313 M2/S2 SUGGESTING STRONG LOW-LEVEL VERTICAL WIND

SHEAR...THE THREAT FOR ONE OR TWO TORNADOES ASSOCIATED WITH EMBEDDED

MESOVORTEX WILL BE PRESENT. AS THE ACTIVITY SHIFTS FARTHER EAST INTO

NEW ENGLAND...IT WILL ENCOUNTER GROWING CINH AMIDST THE MORE STABLE

MARINE LAYER...TEMPERING THE OVERALL SVR THREAT. MEANWHILE...

SCATTERED CONVECTION FARTHER SOUTH OF THE QLCS ACROSS WW249 WILL

CONTINUE MOVING NEWD...AS WELL...POSING A THREAT FOR DMGG WINDS.

HOWEVER...THE LACK OF MORE ORGANIZED CONVECTIVE STRUCTURES COULD

MITIGATE THE POTENTIAL TO SOME DEGREE.

You know I'm really wondering about this "stable air" Look at what occurred across C NY overnight and they hardly had ANY instability. Perhaps storms do become a bit more elevated than sfc-based but were just going to have to see. Again, ML lapse rates continue to be pretty steep. Next several hours going to be interesting, especially extreme W CT/MA.

If we could break out into some sun for just a little bit it could really change things, despite the southerly flow I think we would destabilize a decent amount, except for right along the coastline obviously but with those steep ML lapse rates any sfc heating would not only make sfc temps jump (warm low-level airmass) but we would destabilize fairly rapidly.

If we could break out into some sun for just a little bit it could really change things, despite the southerly flow I think we would destabilize a decent amount, except for right along the coastline obviously but with those steep ML lapse rates any sfc heating would not only make sfc temps jump (warm low-level airmass) but we would destabilize fairly rapidly.

Doubt there's any time for sun/heating happening here. Clouds/fog with the advancing precip closing in. I don't know what the impact of that dry area is going to be.

60.7/60

Doubt there's any time for sun/heating happening here. Clouds/fog with the advancing precip closing in. I don't know what the impact of that dry area is going to be.

60.7/60

I wasn't saying it was going to happen but just stating even if we could have gotten a few hours of some sun that would have made a significant different in what we could expect here, probably be a much higher threat for severe weather across the region.

Dont think anything severe is going to happen east of the ny border in ct, and especially at the shoreline with the marine layer in place. Maybe some heavy rain for a bit, and a rumble of thunder, but nothing more.

The severe threat may drastically drop off east of the NY/CT border, especially across the shoreline. However, these storms may end up becoming more elevated rather than sfc-based, the reason for the drop off in severe wx potential. Winds aloft are still very strong though so it's not out of the question we see strong winds.

12z soundings were quite unstable. Need to mix out that marine layer and maybe we can get western CT and western MA in the game.

Some sunshine would go a long way today. BDL is already 66/62 which is pretty good.

I was quite shocked at how unstable they were, having these steep ML lapse rates around have really helped in that department.

Luckily this is only a low-level cloud deck were dealing with. If this were another month or early June I'd feel a bit better about breaking up this cloud deck. We'll see though, pretty dry above this layer.

I was quite shocked at how unstable they were, having these steep ML lapse rates around have really helped in that department.

Luckily this is only a low-level cloud deck were dealing with. If this were another month or early June I'd feel a bit better about breaking up this cloud deck. We'll see though, pretty dry above this layer.

It's surprisingly bright outside. We'll see what happens. If we can get to like 75/65 I'll be a bit more excited :)

Archived