• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Father drives two sons into tornado

12-year old boy uses iPhone to video dad driving into tornado in Dunn, NC on April 16, 2011. More evidence IMHO that the general adult public is mindless to the dangers of nature -even when provided plenty of advance warning. I've been writing about this for 20 years, and I see minimal progress re this issue. These children were VERY lucky - as was the adult driver.

http://www.wral.com/...92/#/vid9456892

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is at least the 4th video I've seen of someone driving dangerously close to (or getting inside of) a tornado from the NC outbreak on Saturday. What's the cause of all this? Are NC residents really that uneducated to the danger of severe weather? If so they need to make this a class in high school, and fast!

That shoUld be criminal....

On a funny note, I wonder how the guy from storm chasers fells from the tiv? He's spending $$$$$ to get the intercept, and these morons get the intercept of a lifetime

He's probably the reason a lot of people now think it's okay to drive into a tornado. One word for what the Father did in this case-Stupid.

Steve

From a publc awareness/safety standpoint, this type of stuff is as damaging as it is personally maddening. Brings back to mind the vid of the news team (in KS?) that parked on the interstate and went up underneath an overpass as a they had the edge of the circulation of an F-1 or F-2 pass over them. It took years and years (and maybe not yet completely) to undo the perpatuation of the myth of safety underneath an overpass (which caused traffic jams by peeps parking in the road to do the same thing).

Is there some back story to this? I'm trying to decide whether dad was trying to drive them into the tornado or trying to get away from it after realizing it was too close.

The back story is Dad is not mentally stable.

absolutely awful. even mentally unstable people have more sense than this. i wish people would learn, but that's wishful thinking as long as we glorify those who do it on tv shows on discovery channel and twc.

i had a childhood friend whose parents tried to drive away from a tornado near harvey's lake in northeast pa back in the mid 80's. the car got picked up by the twister and launched into Harris Pond. the parents were ok as well as one of the kids (a childhood friend about my age). the other was a bit younger and almost drowned and was in a temporary coma before recovering. it's a reason to this day that i never endorse driving into a twister, and maybe one of the subliminal reasons i haven't been on a tornado chase yet (even though the main reason is i'd need someone to chase with who knew what he was looking at better for at the least the first couple of times).

That guy is stupid!:thumbsdown: WTF did he drive into the tornado? He didn't even say nothing or even worry about his kids. He must be suicidal.Im glad nothng went wrong. Im sorry but that video had some humor in it at the end of it when someone was yelling get down. The man was probably just sitting there like a dumbass.

Sean Casey drives around in a tank. The retards can't fault anyone but themselves if they assume it's safe to drive the family van into a tornado.

One minor flaw in the tank idea, photos of it show it to be well under the weight of a M1A1 Abrams tank which is about what you need to get through an EF-5 safely. EF4's and higher will toss a train locomotive weighing many tons so the TIV would not survive one of those. The Father is not eligible for a Darwin award because he lived but unfortunately he's already added his sons to the gene pool. I would not be surprised if he didn't do what he did just so his son could act the chaser role.

Steve

OK clearly a very stupid thing to do and I'm not defending it in the slightest but could someone explain to me exactly what the dangers of this situation are and give me an understanding of how dangerous his actions were?

From the video it looks like the tornado is not that intense... like it might move the car but probably not toss it up and fling it. A lot of flying debris. Could the tornado intensify quickly and toss the car? Or is my perception of its intensity totally wrong? I don't know much about tornadoes except to stay the hell away from them. Is this a situation where the driver and the kids had a small but unacceptably large chance of dying (.1%, 1% or something) or a situation where they really are lucky to be alive.

OK clearly a very stupid thing to do and I'm not defending it in the slightest but could someone explain to me exactly what the dangers of this situation are and give me an understanding of how dangerous his actions were?

From the video it looks like the tornado is not that intense... like it might move the car but probably not toss it up and fling it. A lot of flying debris. Could the tornado intensify quickly and toss the car? Or is my perception of its intensity totally wrong? I don't know much about tornadoes except to stay the hell away from them. Is this a situation where the driver and the kids had a small but unacceptably large chance of dying (.1%, 1% or something) or a situation where they really are lucky to be alive.

1) In what way does it not look intense? There's one indication that it may not be all that intense but I'm not sure how obvious that would be to this guy.

2) It doesn't take wind speeds all that large to fling debris so regardless of whether it can flip the car or not, it's still incredibly dangerous.

As far as the probability of dying, according to Wurman et al. (2007), the death rate in the F4/F5 parts of the Bridgecreek-Moore tornado was "only" 1-3% though there were unusually long warning times, and presumably well-protected people. If I had to ballpark it for this case, the lower wind speeds lower that 1-3% number while the fact they were in the car increases it. I'd ballpark it at about 1% because of the high risk exposure to debris being in a car.

1) In what way does it not look intense? There's one indication that it may not be all that intense but I'm not sure how obvious that would be to this guy.

2) It doesn't take wind speeds all that large to fling debris so regardless of whether it can flip the car or not, it's still incredibly dangerous.

As far as the probability of dying, according to Wurman et al. (2007), the death rate in the F4/F5 parts of the Bridgecreek-Moore tornado was "only" 1-3% though there were unusually long warning times, and presumably well-protected people. If I had to ballpark it for this case, the lower wind speeds lower that 1-3% number while the fact they were in the car increases it. I'd ballpark it at about 1% because of the high risk exposure to debris being in a car.

1) Yeah but this guy is dumb enough to do it again, and he might not be as lucky next time.

2) 1% seems a little low because I don't think that study accounts for people who drive inside tornadoes.

1) Yeah but this guy is dumb enough to do it again, and he might not be as lucky next time.

Ok, I'm not sure what that has to do with my post.

2) 1% seems a little low because I don't think that study accounts for people who drive inside tornadoes.

It doesn't, but on the other side, those numbers are from a violent tornado, which I assume this was not.

I don't know what it would take to impress some of these people... I've seen tornadoes that truly do "look" weak visually, and neither this nor the Walgreens one from NC fall into that category. I have to wonder whether these people might be saying the same thing even if Moore or Greensburg were approaching them.

Archived