Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Father drives two sons into tornado

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well obviously, this guy didn't know what he was doing or what the proper procedure would be for avoiding a tornado while on the highway (and I too saw the news item that the family was on their way to Florida, so they weren't on I-95 for the purpose of storm chasing in the first place). But I can honestly say that most people in NC are not this unaware.

The issue I think is that while North Carolinians are weather-wise about certain things (especially W.R.T. hurricanes, which even people inland have experience with), tornadoes are just infrequent enough to not be constantly on everyone's mind even when we hit peak tornado times here. It still surprises people, for example, that NC is even at any risk for tornadoes in November, even though some of our worst tornado events (Raleigh 1988 F4 tornado and the big outbreak in 1992) have happened in that month.

General storm safety awareness is hit-and-miss. You have people that don't know how to take cover while driving, like this guy. OTOH, you also have cases like the Lowe's in Sanford where many deaths might have occurred were it not for the staff correctly telling people where to take shelter. And you do have a few people who know about correct storm chase procedure, like the NC State student who took this video in Wilson:

Archived