Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
SNE April obs/disco Thread

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah--I love that drive. When I lived in Worcester we used to take it on our frequent xc skiing excursions to the Swift River reservation. Actually looked at homes in Petersham when we relocated out this way.

Petersham is awesome. There is an old inn (Nichewag?) that later became a girls school/convent right near the center. It will be razed soon but it is quite cool to drive by (don't break into it though! They busted some kids recently for that). Our kids play soccer and baseball there.

Hey Pete, what town are you staying at up there?

Hi Scott, Steve had it right. I'm near Talkeetna. Crazy storm, high winds and driving sn+. Still snowing here after hours of snow already. Hoping the weather clears tomorrow so we can fly back to the Snowbird Glacier area for the day. 3-5' in the Alpine. Spent the day doing tow ins with the snowmachines. Awesome.

Hi Scott, Steve had it right. I'm near Talkeetna. Crazy storm, high winds and driving sn+. Still snowing here after hours of snow already. Hoping the weather clears tomorrow so we can fly back to the Snowbird Glacier area for the day. 3-5' in the Alpine. Spent the day doing tow ins with the snowmachines. Awesome.

This is an amazing time to be in AK; that Aleutian low is packing some serious punch. You can see why Alyeska got so much more snow last year, about 900", since an El Niño produces a lot more Aleutian lows that bring WAA snows into the Anchorage area during winter/spring. This system got down to about 930mb with hurricane force winds, and I saw some frames of the GFS had .5" QPF as snow in 6-hours for your area. It must be a bummer not to be able to fly.

When do you return to New England?

This is an amazing time to be in AK; that Aleutian low is packing some serious punch. You can see why Alyeska got so much more snow last year, about 900", since an El Niño produces a lot more Aleutian lows that bring WAA snows into the Anchorage area during winter/spring. This system got down to about 930mb with hurricane force winds, and I saw some frames of the GFS had .5" QPF as snow in 6-hours for your area. It must be a bummer not to be able to fly.

When do you return to New England?

We haven't been grounded much and when we are it means means it's snowing. It would be exceedingly easy to get into trouble in low vis in the air or on the mountain.My friends are pro pilots so I trust their judgement. The storm has been impressive truly a blizzard here for a while. Very strong winds, some of the strongest I've ever seen. For a skier this place is Nirvana. I'll be back next week.

It's been a chilly pattern this week...just bad luck that these diving clipperish lows have been too far south - or the interior areas would have been all abuzz with late season wet snow possibilities. Wednesday's system left a few inches of snow in southwest NY, the western Catskills, and parts of northern PA. That would have been SNE has it tracked more northerly.

Now next week the Canadian air is AWOL ...even after the fropa on Monday night, so it will be Springlike. :devilsmiley: ...though as Kevin said further out indications of chill returning.....

Very cold this morning, now the sun is gone, pretty cold week actually, tomorrow should be the best day of the weekend.

Archived