Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
SNE April obs/disco Thread

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, these pictures are amazing....I just cried for the demise of winter here in the Southland.

Do you know how to fly, Pete, or does your friend do all that?

I can fly but the landing and taking off thing is tough.lol My friends are both pilots. That plane is a Wilga, maybe the best bush plane going, only made 300 with 70-80 left in service. Hey, how do I post mp4's?

I can fly but the landing and taking off thing is tough.lol My friends are both pilots. That plane is a Wilga, maybe the best bush plane going, only made 300 with 70-80 left in service. Hey, how do I post mp4's?

Not sure about the MP4s...

Sounds like you're better off leaving the bush flying to your friends...taking off and landing can't be easy in those rugged mountains with such changing weather conditions. I imagine visibility was really low when you had that big Aleutian low rumble in...That plane does look awesome though! My dream is to get a pilot's license if I get rich although by then fuel will be 20 bucks a gallon and we'll all be back to horse and buggy transport anyway.

those are amazing!!! glad you are having a wonderful time and seeing beautiful vistas!

Thanks Diane, probably makes you want to head back West.lol You were in Moab for a while?

I'll see you in 24 hours-leaving now!

lol seriously though, awesome pics!

A young guy like you could move up here and set up shop.

Sweet, you will be happy again before all is said and done.

Steve, I'm always happy.lol

Not sure about the MP4s...

Sounds like you're better off leaving the bush flying to your friends...taking off and landing can't be easy in those rugged mountains with such changing weather conditions. I imagine visibility was really low when you had that big Aleutian low rumble in...That plane does look awesome though! My dream is to get a pilot's license if I get rich although by then fuel will be 20 bucks a gallon and we'll all be back to horse and buggy transport anyway.

More like no. This pic was taken as the storm approached and we were getting out of the high terrain in a hurry. Get caught up high in a storm like that and chances are you won't make it out alive.

The scale of those shots would make my mind get confused.

I did ski Whistler/BC a long time ago, and i the bowls my brain could not register how large they were, and that place you are at is so much larger

It always takes a day or two to recalibrate to the size of things here. After skiing tight steep trees all Winter to suddenly be thrown into these immense wide open pitches is quite the gear shift. Also the complete solitude is striking. To have endless untracked options is pure joy. Lot's of earned turns. It's cool to pick a chute that looks good, skin up it and then dice it.

As sweet as it looks, seen lots more snow in previous years, what did the locals say about conditions. Talkeetna looks awesome though.

LOL. It's been a low snow year by their standards, Alyeska is at about 500" for the season, last year they notched about 900". Trust me Ginx, plenty of snow. The locals are spoiled, if it's not a couple feet of fresh pow they aren't happy. Fortunately a lot of snow has fallen since I've been here.

LOL. It's been a low snow year by their standards, Alyeska is at about 500" for the season, last year they notched about 900". Trust me Ginx, plenty of snow. The locals are spoiled, if it's not a couple feet of fresh pow they aren't happy. Fortunately a lot of snow has fallen since I've been here.

No I know it obscene by our standards. My nephew used to send me pics from Aleyeska that were just sick, some from the very spots you took so I had comparison in my brain. Nice trip Pete, glad you are safe. I am happy all the time too, spring skiing at elevation is off the hook good back here, best in years.

No I know it obscene by our standards. My nephew used to send me pics from Aleyeska that were just sick, some from the very spots you took so I had comparison in my brain. Nice trip Pete, glad you are safe. I am happy all the time too, spring skiing at elevation is off the hook good back here, best in years.

Have you done any since your trip? I might go next week (18th maybe) If I can find a place within 3 hours

If Okemo could just stay open 1 more day...(plus I could ski for $37)

Wildcat is a possibility...SR is about 3.5 so maybe

I just can't go before the 18th

Wildcat

Tue, Apr 05, 2011

Reduced Spring Ticket Rates & Season Passes On Sale Now. Visit Our Wild Deals & Season Pass Pages For More Information. Open Daily Through Tuesday April 19th And Then Friday Through Sunday Beginning Friday, April 22nd, Weather/Conditions Permitting.

I checked and Whiteface and Gore and opening for one more weekend 15-17th.... ..so winter lives. :) The Catskills areas gave it up today, but not for lack of base.

Spring break from teaching starts this Friday, so might try to get one last shot at the snow up north...I really miss winter!

The lack of Aleutian lows has meant low snow for these areas; they probably do much better in an El Niño when you have a dominant Aleutian low. That's why Alyeska got so much snow last year...my friend from Anchorage was loving it when he flew home from Middlebury. You can see the pattern this winter featured a strong Aleutian ridge/high pressure, making conditions in Central AK drier:

Winter 2010-2011 500mb anomalies, strong Aleutian high:

This was last winter...much more of an Aleutian/GoA low driving WAA snows into AK:

Archived