Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
SNE April obs/disco Thread

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My last little plowed snow pile is down to about a 3 by 12 inch patch, 2 inches deep. RIP :weight_lift: by tomorrow morning sometime. Course my whole driveway is full sun all day long now....

Way back in a wooded area we have ...still some patches, but Monday will exterminate them in all likelihood.

uote name='HubbDave' timestamp='1302300376' post='618685']

Still snowpiles in my yard, and 1 shaded swath with a good amount of snow,.

Just went by a neighbors house and he has an 8' snow pile I'm guessing they made just for fun since it in in his front yard.

Eventually, some major IT battles to fight before it goes public.

Ginx,riding up the tram at Alyeska for the last run of the day. On and off snow all day 24+" in the last 24hrs. Skiing a pair of Rossignol Phanthom 108's. Major pontoons, a little to stiff for me but they hold a line and stable at high speed. Little tough to get around in the tighter chutes. I'll demo something with a little more sidecut tomorrow. I hear there's still snow at home but it's going fast. Whoa, tower swing, what a trip. Nice weather station Btw.

Ginx,riding up the tram at Alyeska for the last run of the day. On and off snow all day 24+" in the last 24hrs. Skiing a pair of Rossignol Phanthom 108's. Major pontoons, a little to stiff for me but they hold a line and stable at high speed. Little tough to get around in the tighter chutes. I'll demo something with a little more sidecut tomorrow. I hear there's still snow at home but it's going fast. Whoa, tower swing, what a trip. Nice weather station Btw.

Pete pics damitt , nice storm, wet or dry pow pow?

Pete pics damitt , nice storm, wet or dry pow pow?

Next week when I get home I'll have pics. Up high it's blower powder, mid mountain it's cake flour and by the base it's a wet powder.lol It's cool to ride the lifts here but the backcountry is just so crazy good it's not even funny. Man, so good.

Next week when I get home I'll have pics. Up high it's blower powder, mid mountain it's cake flour and by the base it's a wet powder.lol It's cool to ride the lifts here but the backcountry is just so crazy good it's not even funny. Man, so good.

Are there any other people there? And are they having a good year?

488"!

On the webcams the place looks empty

Are there any other people there? And are they having a good year?

488"!

On the webcams the place looks empty

There are people here but the place is huge. They haven't had the best year but I've timed it well as Ullr has been looking over us. There's all the snow you need. There are rec skiers here but Alaska attracts the best of the best. Lots of ex-pat New Englanders. We've been skiing some true big boy lines and when we meet people in these places they are very often originally from VT/Nh/wmass. Tough place to get here but well worth it.Nirvana really.

There are people here but the place is huge. They haven't had the best year but I've timed it well as Ullr has been looking over us. There's all the snow you need. There are rec skiers here but Alaska attracts the best of the best. Lots of ex-pat New Englanders. We've been skiing some true big boy lines and when we meet people in these places they are very often originally from VT/Nh/wmass. Tough place to get here but well worth it.Nirvana really.

Well, Wachusett gets a little boring after a while so I can see why they go there.

Back near freezing here

32.5F

Low of 27F forecast...but the heat is on the way

Well, Wachusett gets a little boring after a while so I can see why they go there.

Back near freezing here

32.5F

Low of 27F forecast...but the heat is on the way

Lol. Eastern skiers aren't spoiled babies. All of our adverse conditions make us good technical skiers. We just need to triple the height of our mts.

Hey, it could happen

HM (the good one, not Accuweather) has been talking about a major late-season snow threat with a -NAO developing and much colder temperatures in the Northeast by mid-April. He said there's a semi-Archembault signal for a storm associated with a phase change in the NAO. Most seem to be on board for below normal temperatures in New England for the second half of April...it's already been a chilly spring in my opinion, and the 18z GFS brings flakes down to NYC on April 18th...Don't know if we'd see any accumulations down here, latest accumulating snowfall for my town was 0.2" on 4/24/1967...believe we had a T on 4/27/1967 and 5/10/1977...this would be a huge hit for the Berkshires, however.

The spring prancers better get ready to cry fo they mamas. I'm going to bring Winter back with me. They've extended studded snow tire season through May here this year as more snow is expected in the coming weeks.

Yeah, that bomb over the Bering Strait has brought a chilly airmass into AK...-20C 850s all the way down to the Aleutians with lots of light precipitation in the Anchorage region (good signal for upslope in the mountains). If we get that amplified Aleutian ridge to redevelop, which has been quite common this winter with the strong Niña, then we should see that burst of cold air come down into the CONUS. The 18z GFS pulls the -10C isotherm into New England after a major snowstorm, and then another threat develops in the uber long range around 300 hours, but that's probably BS. In any case, it looks as if the few warm days ahead of Monday's cutter will be curtailed rapidly by an arctic airmass.

That's great! How long have you been running?

I started about a yr and a half ago..then herniated my disc in the fall of 2009..so had to stop for 4 months..then started again last spring..I run every other day..and the weekend runs are the long ones..13 is my longest..I did 10 last weekend which was my longest until today

Congrats everyone

SO...THINK WE ARE LOOKING AT A CLUSTER OF STRONG...ELEVATED

THUNDERSTORMS WITH PERHAPS A LOT OF LIGHTNING...BUT BECAUSE OF

RELATIVELY STABLE AIR IN THE LOWEST LEVELS THEY SHOULD BE

NON-SEVERE. THEY MAY FIRST OCCUR OVER SOUTHERN NH AND NORTHERN MA

LATE IN THE AFTERNOON BUT COULD DEVELOP ANYWHERE IN

CT/RI/SOUTHERN MA BEFORE MIDNIGHT

Has the snow finally ended up there? Able to fly at all?

Yes, we're air mobile again. It can snow at anytime though. At high elevations it seems there are always flakes in the air even when the sky above is blue. Today was caavu. (Clear air above view unlimited). Pretty amazing where we've been landing.

Do you have access beyond D10? Because it doesn't actually look that way. 2M temps should be rather warm actually 4/19 verbatim.

That northern stream cold core gets a little further south than some other runs of the ECM, but it's still rather mild since the 12z ECM keeps the northern stream feature entirely to the north instead of clearing the area with a strong FROPA as per the 0z GFS. 0z GFS does get chilly with -10C 850s down to Indy/Chicago behind that monster storm....flakes definitely fly for a lot of NY/PA/New England....especially big hit for the Laurel Mountains and WV.

Yes, we're air mobile again. It can snow at anytime though. At high elevations it seems there are always flakes in the air even when the sky above is blue. Today was caavu. (Clear air above view unlimited). Pretty amazing where we've been landing.

Wow man sounds like a trip of a lifetime...I want to get up there so badly sometime, a few of my friends have gone and brought home the most stunning pictures. One of my floormates at Middlebury was from Anchorage and would always show me shots of Alyeska on his phone, was an avid skier and frequently returned for XMAS/Spring break...I think he's back there now enjoying himself greatly, post-graduation, probably skiing some of the places you know.

Archived