• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mar 16 brief winter wx obs...and then cold rain

ORH_wxman

Models have been trending a shade colder so it won't be surprising if some of us get a period of wet snow at the onset or snow/sleet or sleet alone. Shouldn't be a big deal, but if someone up north is lucky, they could pick up a couple inches...esp into NH.

I expect mostly cold rain, but those obs are welcome here too. I have a few flakes quickly changing to rain in the forecast with less than inch of accum (northern zones esp), so shouldn't be impacting travel much.

Currently 29 and p cloudy here.

31.0 here and i wonder if wa wa can get a blue snowish bomb ....prolly not but i was wondering how Dew points were and any evaporational cooling potential.

They could start off as a period of steady snow...its close to being several hours of moderate snow at nearly isothermal. The total qpf though isn't that great though so probably no huge deal either way but it would be nice if they stayed snow long enough to pick up a net gain.

30/28, sn

This is where that extra several hundred feet of elevation comes into play... I was thinking about that as I drove through ZR/IP/SN in the village and then hit all snow around 1,200-1,300ft. Suddenly the road went from a mix of wet/white to solid white in a span of about 50 feet and its been snowing up here at 1,550ft for the past two hours.

Times like these when the difference between 800-1,000ft elevation and 1,300-1,500ft is very noticable.

This is where that extra several hundred feet of elevation comes into play... I was thinking about that as I drove through ZR/IP/SN in the village and then hit all snow around 1,200-1,300ft. Suddenly the road went from a mix of wet/white to solid white in a span of about 50 feet and its been snowing up here at 1,550ft for the past two hours.

Times like these when the difference between 800-1,000ft elevation and 1,300-1,500ft is very noticable.

Elevation is good.

Elevation is good.

ya 1400' is significantly better than 1000'. just that little difference

but by the same token get up near 5-6-7K and "magical things happen"

N zucker showed me some photos of glacier national park where he worked near last spring. June 30 ...some pass at 6600' several feet of snow on ground and june 16.....a couple feet fell at the pass. just awesome for mid june!

ya 1400' is significantly better than 1000'. just that little difference

but by the same token get up near 5-6-7K and "magical things happen"

N zucker showed me some photos of glacier national park where he worked near last spring. June 30 ...some pass at 6600' several feet of snow on ground and june 16.....a couple feet fell at the pass. just awesome for mid june!

Even here in New England late May/June you can find the snow. Tucks late May, Billy goating required.

Archived