• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Summer Thread

free_man

Since winter has been over for quite some time, Spring is generally very boring and uneventful, any thoughts on summer?

Temps: I'm thinking near normal, maybe a hot July (+2)

Active severe wx ? '88 and '99 come to mind as mod-strong Ninas following Nino. I'm no expert on ENSO. I don't remember any blockbuster events either summer, though '99 might have had a few decent ones.

Tropical activity? I'm going 14/6/4 as a shot in the dark early call - two landfalls FL to NC and FL panhandle

Thoughts?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since winter has been over for quite some time, Spring is generally very boring and uneventful, any thoughts on summer?

Active severe wx ? '88 and '99 come to mind as mod-strong Ninas following Nino. I'm no expert on ENSO. I don't remember any blockbuster events either summer, though '99 might have had a few decent ones.

Tropical activity? I'm going 14/6/4 as a shot in the dark early call - two landfalls FL to NC and FL panhandle

Thoughts?

I hope that we don't repeat 1988 wrt heat/humidity That was a nasty one

My early thoughts (which are usually 100% incorrect anyway) are that if the Nina does weaken to near neutral levels then it will be a rather hot summer, however, if we stay more in the weak to moderate category then we will see a cooler than normal summer.

'89 did have a few good severe wx events, especially the big one for SNE, 7/10/89

As far as 1999 goes it stunk for the most part, VERY active just off to our west, especially early on but this year was mainly squall lines with damaging winds.

My early thoughts (which are usually 100% incorrect anyway) are that if the Nina does weaken to near neutral levels then it will be a rather hot summer, however, if we stay more in the weak to moderate category then we will see a cooler than normal summer.

'89 did have a few good severe wx events, especially the big one for SNE, 7/10/89

As far as 1999 goes it stunk for the most part, VERY active just off to our west, especially early on but this year was mainly squall lines with damaging winds.

What about 1996 in terms of severe weather?

It's probably going to depend on how Nina weakens and also what the NAO decides to do. If the se ridge weakens, and the NAO is negative, then we would probably see some nice fropas coming through.

I'd really like a ring of fire pattern to come to fruition...it seems like years since we had those sick NW flow clusters somewhat routinely diving out of Ontario/Quebecc.. persistent pig ridge over the Arklatex up the MS river valley, hooking it up. I think 95 or 96 featured that.

Give me a cold pool aloft

Tradeoff just isn't there for me, but enjoy the severe

Give me a 70/50 cold pool with 40kt 850 winds quickly ripping into 90/70 airmass with a triple point low right near ALB, warm front extending right across to ORH

I remember a few events there in 99 but nothing too "dangerous".

Of course Floyd was memorable, I would chase it..

Thoughts?

17/10/6 1st storm in May 3 in June. 4 LF systems 2 FL Panhandle 1 lifting north... 2 Carolina's and 1 LI/NE

17/10/6 1st storm in May 3 in June. 4 LF systems 2 FL Panhandle 1 lifting north... 2 Carolina's and 1 LI/NE

Thanks....lol...you just saying that to excite weenies? I doubt LI/NE gets one, maybe a TS or something like that.

Wiz maybe some severe next Tuesday?

What are the odds of a PSM landfall this year?

Let's pray for a '38, we all get destroyed. The NH book from '38 has extraordinary pictures, not sure you have seen it.

http://www.amazon.co...00227272&sr=8-2

I have a copy...it says 25 cents on the cover, printed in 1938. Is that correct? There are quite a few pages of pictures from the Concord area and also out towards I-89 Sunapee, etc.

Archived