• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Summer Thread

free_man

I remember that from Bob too. I mean we probably had 50-70mph winds in Bob, but only lost power for 12hrs.

We were staying in Chatham right up until that morning. We had family from Toronto visiting so we rented a place down the Cape for a few days, as they never have been there. I remember telling my parents about 4 days earlier that The Weather Channel was saying a storm could come up the coast. I was being a big weenie at the time, but figured nothing would happen. While we were in Chatham, the forecasts were becoming worrisome by the day. We waited to see what the forecast was a day before the storm and decided to leave the next morning...the day of Bob's arrival. We left at like 6am and were one of the last people to cross the bridge. We got back, just in time for the wind to start cranking. As you could imagine, my Canadian relatives were stoked for a hurricane. They've never seen one before. It was definitely one of the top weather memories for me.

We crossed the bridge around 8:30am (Bourne), maybe the Sagamore closed earlier or something. remember those torrential rains around 7-9am? holy ****.

:pimp:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of us at some point or another have seen strong winds. The highest I've seen firsthand is between 110 and 125mph, however it still was not high enough for my liking. I'd go nuts if a '38 or a 1635 came 'knockin and welcome with open arms.

I have an old canoe that you can have. Maybe you can paddle out to the next hurricane's eye as it passes well east of CC. Take pics.

No the May 27 storms. The May 4th storms hit you a little harder down there than up here. Greenfield took it on the chin in the late May storm. I remember calling my wife over to the computer to show her the radar and commented how you hardly ever see storms moving straight south out of VT and that I've rarely seen purple on the radar. Went outside to secure some stuff and within 5 minutes it was like nothing I've ever seen or felt. Sounded like a freight train. We ran in the house and into the basement when the wind felt like it was blowing straight down from the sky and the windows of the house started shaking. You could hear trees snapping like gunfire and power line transformers were blowing and arcing like lightning flashes. Nuts.

Here's a good NECN story about it.

http://www.necn.com/...590&tagID=65275

Crazy. Did you lose trees on your property? Storms coming out of the NW always do the best around these parts, it sounds like this one was really getting close to due N. The radar here was down for repairs that day and I missed a good one :thumbsdown:

Also, it's interesting that the maps Scott posted don't show a lot of lightning associated. I noticed that a lot last year, (at least down here) the storms were relatively light rain producers, with little electricity associated, but very strong winds.

Crazy. Did you lose trees on your property? Storms coming out of the NW always do the best around these parts, it sounds like this one was really getting close to due N. The radar here was down for repairs that day and I missed a good one :thumbsdown:

Also, it's interesting that the maps Scott posted don't show a lot of lightning associated. I noticed that a lot last year, (at least down here) the storms were relatively light rain producers, with little electricity associated, but very strong winds.

My neighbor and I, who for all practical purposes share a combined 6 acres, lost 10 trees - pines and oaks. 2 houses 300 yards N of us lost 27 trees! Looked like a tornado.

Walk over to the next street and another swath of 20-30 trees down. Crazy stuff the way the damage jumped around. Power out for 2.5 days here but 5 days just N of here.

Agree that there was little lightning and little rain.

Here is a pic of the May 3rd storm that whacked you guys in Northampton clearing out of the valley.

Here is a pic of the May 3rd storm that whacked you guys in Northampton clearing out of the valley.

Beautiful picture. The light green new leaves are certainly a nice consolation prize for the sad end of the snowpack.

Here is a radar velocity shot I took of the May 3rd storm just as it destroyed the solar panel installation.

You'll see in the readout a swath of winds >65kts less than a kilometer from the radar, and only about 100' off the ground.

post-992-0-16462500-1300473070.png

The high winds were out in front of the main storm, in a low reflectivity region. Technically, it was part of the gust front, but there was definitely micro-scale vorticity associated with it, (which is apparent in the reflectivity loop), and it was non-typical, even for some of the powerful gust fronts we've seen in Oklahoma.

That snapshot was from earlier in the day, with live lightning. recall those storms formed in VT and went almost due south. I think Ekster was saying there was evidence of an EML over southern Canada.

Congrats. :thumbsup: The NWC is a sweet place to work and Norman is a great town... If you get there late may/early June you'll have a shot at chasing before the death ridge sets in.

Thanks! I get there by May 23rd, so I'm hoping to maybe catch some action before the end of the season. Just my luck, SNE will have a legit tornado outbreak this summer with an EF3 right through Keene lol

That snapshot was from earlier in the day, with live lightning. recall those storms formed in VT and went almost due south. I think Ekster was saying there was evidence of an EML over southern Canada.

Yeah, there was an EML (750mb to 550mb) on the Maniwaki sounding 12z 5/26/10. Tom Wasula of the Albany NWS office put together a really nice overview of the event with some really great loops. 40 meg .ppt presentation worth a look:

http://cstar.cestm.albany.edu/nrow/NROWXII/Wasula.pptx

post-13-0-71852300-1301013589.gif

Thanks! I get there by May 23rd, so I'm hoping to maybe catch some action before the end of the season. Just my luck, SNE will have a legit tornado outbreak this summer with an EF3 right through Keene lol

In the past I've almost always started my chase vacation between May 21-24 down there. You have plenty of time before the end of the season there (depending on the pattern of course)...but generally speaking, anytime between the day you get there and the middle of June is usually pretty good. The last week of May has always been good to me.

I started my veg garden today.. probably a couple weeks too late for the greens and things given the warmth we had until recently. Excited to do an expansion this year so I can do some pumpkins, butternut squash, and cucumbers outside the regular garden and leave more room for some other things in there. Might scratch the corn this year since I haven't had much luck with it the last two years. Or try a new variety.

I hate this period wet cold muddy period between snow and spring warmth. Bring on the heat!

Beautiful picture. The light green new leaves are certainly a nice consolation prize for the sad end of the snowpack.

Here is a radar velocity shot I took of the May 3rd storm just as it destroyed the solar panel installation.

You'll see in the readout a swath of winds >65kts less than a kilometer from the radar, and only about 100' off the ground.

post-992-0-16462500-1300473070.png

The high winds were out in front of the main storm, in a low reflectivity region. Technically, it was part of the gust front, but there was definitely micro-scale vorticity associated with it, (which is apparent in the reflectivity loop), and it was non-typical, even for some of the powerful gust fronts we've seen in Oklahoma.

Here is a nice video of the event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Gi5yR0IiU&NR=1

In the past I've almost always started my chase vacation between May 21-24 down there. You have plenty of time before the end of the season there (depending on the pattern of course)...but generally speaking, anytime between the day you get there and the middle of June is usually pretty good. The last week of May has always been good to me.

Nice! That would give me a good block of opportunity then. I like the idea of La Nina dying pretty quickly through the spring

Nice! That would give me a good block of opportunity then. I like the idea of La Nina dying pretty quickly through the spring

Well right now Oklahoma is in a major drought, so hopefully it dies soon. Despite la nina favoring severe wx for the country as a whole, it isn't so favorable for central and SW Oklahoma specifically. Good riddance.

Since you'll be there in mid-June and from what I can tell have a bit of a wind fetish, regardless of the whether or not you get a typical dryline supe setup, you can expect some nocturnal MCS blasting out of the lee of the rockies through kansas and into Oklahoma. You can easily have 50+ kt winds out ahead of those, although you'll have to stay up late.

And also, two words of advice... Rudy's BBQ Right near the NWC... Keep that in mind.

That is an awesome video. Thank you for posting. I wonder if that cam is accessible online somewhere?

No problem. I ended up on the 24th floor as the storm approached and saw another student with a tripod set up. 99 percent sure this is his video. I love watching the clouds boil over the approaching dust storm.

Archived