• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Upstate NY / North Country - now on to Summer 2011

That's a brilliant location you have there for radiational cooling. :) I can't even compete......but it was a lovely 53F here for a low today (Thursday).

It does like to cool off here most mornings. I like it most of the time, except early June when I don't want a frost to kill the garden. It was 49.4° and dropping at 5:30 this morning. I doubt it went much lower but it does sure feel nice on mornings like the last 2. I hope hawksfan is enjoying the weather on Onida Lake.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it looks like some of us across ENY will get roasted some Sunday & Monday thanks to downslope flow off of the " the Heldeberg escarpment". I like to call it the Thatcher Park flow. Anyway whatever you call it its going to be 90 + Sunday and Monday in the CD for sure, upper 80s to 90 elsewhere

Monday could/should also be a very active day convectively..again past experience and observation when GFS is the more convectively favorable model you better pay attention. The NAM isn't but then again the NAM has left a lot to be desired over the past few weeks.

Now for the end of next week still see a prolonged period of 3H weather especially Thursday thru probably next weekend. L-M 90s this period.

So far this late Spring and Summer, the climatological history has been: 1) models have been too fast with cold (and to a lesser extent warm) fropas. 2) The cold fronts have been fragmented in nature, i.e., actually more like multi-fronts or 2ndary type (even tertiary like earlier this past week was); so count on the heat I'm thinking at least a 4 day "event".

Well it looks like some of us across ENY will get roasted some Sunday & Monday thanks to downslope flow off of the " the Heldeberg escarpment". I like to call it the Thatcher Park flow. Anyway whatever you call it its going to be 90 + Sunday and Monday in the CD for sure, upper 80s to 90 elsewhere

Monday could/should also be a very active day convectively..again past experience and observation when GFS is the more convectively favorable model you better pay attention. The NAM isn't but then again the NAM has left a lot to be desired over the past few weeks.

Now for the end of next week still see a prolonged period of 3H weather especially Thursday thru probably next weekend. L-M 90s this period.

So far this late Spring and Summer, the climatological history has been: 1) models have been too fast with cold (and to a lesser extent warm) fropas. 2) The cold fronts have been fragmented in nature, i.e., actually more like multi-fronts or 2ndary type (even tertiary like earlier this past week was); so count on the heat I'm thinking at least a 4 day "event".

Agree Andy..........I think the next 10 days will be the worst prolonged heat this summer will throw at us. Good thing we get the Monday FROPA, otherwise we would have faced a solid week of 90's and humidity. :arrowhead:

Agree Andy..........I think the next 10 days will be the worst prolonged heat this summer will throw at us. Good thing we get the Monday FROPA, otherwise we would have faced a solid week of 90's and humidity. :arrowhead:

NAM starting to get more juicy in a convective way for Monday. Still looks like (to me, at this point in time) for a day of HIGH CAPES and mod-high CINS thru late afternoon, then POP goes the LID/CAP and by evening nice clusters and bows. Also MV could have some discrete cells @ the start.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 88.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 69.

Thursday: Partly sunny and hot, with a high near 91.

Thursday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny and hot, with a high near 91. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 68.

Saturday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 91.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=buf&FcstType=text&zmx=1&zmy=1&map.x=38&map.y=247&site=BUF

Pretty rare stretch of 90s there. Not something we typically see. Bleh...:yikes:

Very good analysis...

Sometimes I wish these forums were more active in summer, but an active summer it has not been. Just wondering if this activity over Southern Ontario will turn into an MCS this evening....we could sure use it. This won't be seen for 3 days though, so its kind of silly. Anyway, just checking in....see you in October.

Only got some rain (0.56") from the first rain from the leftover storms that came from Georgian Bay

Monday morning. All the others lines missed here including overnight.

Love the forecast for Thursday too:

Scattered showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Sunny, with a high near 96.

Sometimes I wish these forums were more active in summer, but an active summer it has not been. Just wondering if this activity over Southern Ontario will turn into an MCS this evening....we could sure use it. This won't be seen for 3 days though, so its kind of silly. Anyway, just checking in....see you in October.

I see you Delta! Been too busy throwing ice cubes in my pool to keep it from boiling! ;)

It does like to cool off here most mornings. I like it most of the time, except early June when I don't want a frost to kill the garden. It was 49.4° and dropping at 5:30 this morning. I doubt it went much lower but it does sure feel nice on mornings like the last 2. I hope hawksfan is enjoying the weather on Onida Lake.

here is my post from the southeast forums that was in reference to my trip. Some of it may not make much sense because I was responding to someone in that forums but it will give you an idea of the weather I experienced up there. To answer your question in short, I loved every minute of the weather up there as usual when visiting the lake. Thank you for all the responses to my posts. I'll most likely drop back in next year before my trip up again. I may venture up there in November again this year, hoping for some snow when I go then though. I spent a few weeks up there a few winters ago and man you guys get destroyed with snows.

Welcome back brother! I just got in from the airport a couple hours ago. All my sunflowers are dead!!! What a shame. I MAY be able to save a couple of them but it's an ugly sight. I talked to someone who was here this week and he said the best we got was a sprinkle. After seeing the flowers I worked so hard to grow I can believe it. I hope you had fun on your trip! We had a nice MCS move through at 9AM this morning in Upstate NY. We had sustained winds of 35-45 for a good few minutes. Keep in mind it was coming right off the lake so there was nothing to slow down the wind at all. I had the gauntlet of weather up there. A low of near 50 the first two mornings then it slowly warmed up, by yesterday and today it got hot and muggy up there. It was sunny all week up until this morning when we got a nice line of storms. It caused some minor damage but no severe warning was issued on the line.

I think being lakefront helped the winds live up to their full potential. The lake measures 6 miles wide by 24 miles long. It's a very large lake (Oneida Lake) and the waves were kicking up around 3-4 feet while the line blew through. I was actually on the lake, way out there fishing right before it came through and we saw some lighting strikes hitting the lake in the distance. I must say that was a pretty cool sight although scary. We got the warning from all the buzz on the lake radio we use. Everyone started talking about how bad it was on the northwest end of the lake and then my family called us on the radio after watching the radar saying we had about 15 minutes to get in before it hit. so we hauled it in ASAP and made it in under the wire to watch the impressive storms blow through.Overall I had an amazing week I hope you did as well!!! I'm looking forward to contributing to this board again on local weather here in Georgia! Also looking for some rains!! BTW I caught some very large Walleye while I was up there, went fishing nearly every morning at 5AM.

Sunday worked out in ALB, but I guess clouds interfered on Monday as it only hit 84.

Not so bad here 10 miles northwest of Thatcher Park... 85 on Sunday, 79 on Monday and 80 today.

But none of us escape the heat later this week I'm afraid. :devilsmiley:

For now it's comfy at 63F.

Sunday worked out in ALB, but I guess clouds interfered on Monday as it only hit 84.

Not so bad here 10 miles northwest of Thatcher Park... 85 on Sunday, 79 on Monday and 80 today.

But none of us escape the heat later this week I'm afraid. :devilsmiley:

For now it's comfy at 63F.

58 here this morning as I am shutting all the windows to trap in the cool for the day. A/C back on by bedtime for sure.................Going tubing in Lk. Luzerne today

58 here this morning as I am shutting all the windows to trap in the cool for the day. A/C back on by bedtime for sure.................Going tubing in Lk. Luzerne today

A decent 60 here this morning. I've never noticed this before from the NWS:

Excessive Heat Watch

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY234 AM EDT WED JUL 20 2011NYZ009-015>018-022>025-036-037-044>046-055>057-062-PAZ038>040-043-044-047-048-072-210645-/O.NEW.KBGM.EH.A.0001.110721T1500Z-110722T0100Z/NORTHERN ONEIDA-YATES-SENECA-SOUTHERN CAYUGA-ONONDAGA-STEUBEN-SCHUYLER-CHEMUNG-TOMPKINS-MADISON-SOUTHERN ONEIDA-CORTLAND-CHENANGO-OTSEGO-TIOGA-BROOME-DELAWARE-SULLIVAN-BRADFORD-SUSQUEHANNA-NORTHERN WAYNE-WYOMING-LACKAWANNA-LUZERNE-PIKE-SOUTHERN WAYNE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BOONVILLE...PENN YAN...SENECA FALLS...AUBURN...SYRACUSE...CORNING...HORNELL...WATKINS GLEN...ELMIRA...ITHACA...ONEIDA...UTICA...ROME...CORTLAND...NORWICH...ONEONTA...COOPERSTOWN...OWEGO...BINGHAMTON...WALTON...DELHI...MONTICELLO...TOWANDA...SAYRE...MONTROSE...TUNKHANNOCK...SCRANTON...WILKES-BARRE...HAZLETON...MILFORD...HONESDALE234 AM EDT WED JUL 20 2011...EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAY MORNINGTHROUGH EARLY THURSDAY EVENING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED ANEXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAYMORNING THROUGH EARLY THURSDAY EVENING.* LOCATIONS...ALL OF CENTRAL NEW YORK AND NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA...ESPECIALLY URBAN CENTERS AND VALLEY LOCATIONS...WHERE THE HOTTEST TEMPERATURES ARE MOST LIKELY.* HAZARDS...THE COMBINATION OF EXCESSIVE HEAT AND HIGH HUMIDITY.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE 90S...WITH READINGS APPROACHING 100 POSSIBLE IN THE METRO VALLEY AREAS...LIKE ELMIRA/CORNING...SYRACUSE...UTICA...BINGHAMTON...AND WILKES-BARRE/SCRANTON.* HEAT INDEX VALUES...BETWEEN 100 AND 110.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH MEANS THAT A PROLONGED PERIOD OF HOTTEMPERATURES IS EXPECTED. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES ANDHIGH HUMIDITY WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A DANGEROUS SITUATION INWHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS...STAYIN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM...STAY OUT OF THE SUN...AND CHECK UPON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS.&&$$MJ

A surprising pleasant low of 58 here also. But I feel like the heat is building quickly today. I haven't used the a/c since a week ago last night - but most likely will turn it on later today and keep it on through Saturday anyway.

A decent 60 here this morning. I've never noticed this before from the NWS:

Excessive Heat Watch

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY234 AM EDT WED JUL 20 2011NYZ009-015>018-022>025-036-037-044>046-055>057-062-PAZ038>040-043-044-047-048-072-210645-/O.NEW.KBGM.EH.A.0001.110721T1500Z-110722T0100Z/NORTHERN ONEIDA-YATES-SENECA-SOUTHERN CAYUGA-ONONDAGA-STEUBEN-SCHUYLER-CHEMUNG-TOMPKINS-MADISON-SOUTHERN ONEIDA-CORTLAND-CHENANGO-OTSEGO-TIOGA-BROOME-DELAWARE-SULLIVAN-BRADFORD-SUSQUEHANNA-NORTHERN WAYNE-WYOMING-LACKAWANNA-LUZERNE-PIKE-SOUTHERN WAYNE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BOONVILLE...PENN YAN...SENECA FALLS...AUBURN...SYRACUSE...CORNING...HORNELL...WATKINS GLEN...ELMIRA...ITHACA...ONEIDA...UTICA...ROME...CORTLAND...NORWICH...ONEONTA...COOPERSTOWN...OWEGO...BINGHAMTON...WALTON...DELHI...MONTICELLO...TOWANDA...SAYRE...MONTROSE...TUNKHANNOCK...SCRANTON...WILKES-BARRE...HAZLETON...MILFORD...HONESDALE234 AM EDT WED JUL 20 2011...EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAY MORNINGTHROUGH EARLY THURSDAY EVENING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED ANEXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAYMORNING THROUGH EARLY THURSDAY EVENING.* LOCATIONS...ALL OF CENTRAL NEW YORK AND NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA...ESPECIALLY URBAN CENTERS AND VALLEY LOCATIONS...WHERE THE HOTTEST TEMPERATURES ARE MOST LIKELY.* HAZARDS...THE COMBINATION OF EXCESSIVE HEAT AND HIGH HUMIDITY.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE 90S...WITH READINGS APPROACHING 100 POSSIBLE IN THE METRO VALLEY AREAS...LIKE ELMIRA/CORNING...SYRACUSE...UTICA...BINGHAMTON...AND WILKES-BARRE/SCRANTON.* HEAT INDEX VALUES...BETWEEN 100 AND 110.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH MEANS THAT A PROLONGED PERIOD OF HOTTEMPERATURES IS EXPECTED. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES ANDHIGH HUMIDITY WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A DANGEROUS SITUATION INWHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS...STAYIN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM...STAY OUT OF THE SUN...AND CHECK UPON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS.&&$MJ

I'm going out to Lyons, Wayne County tomorrow for work. My first time at the courthouse in that county. I've been to all but maybe 10 NY counties now. So it will be stifling hot, but far better than having to work down in NYC. I'm glad no work took me down that way.

61° last night and rising pretty quickly. Dont remember the last excessive heat watch issues for here.

95 forecast for tomorrow. UGLY! Snowman.gif

Nice to see Dansville and 'Cuse cracking the 100 degree mark, and 'Cuse is rocking a dewpoint in the low 70's......pretty respectable heat wave I must say. I wish Rochester could hit 100, I'd like to add that to my weather resume around here.

It's unreal up here on the SU hill!! 100...mid 70's dew pt. and around a 30mph wind! Blast furnace! The wind really does NOTHING except kick up dust...yuck...

Nice to see Dansville and 'Cuse cracking the 100 degree mark, and 'Cuse is rocking a dewpoint in the low 70's......pretty respectable heat wave I must say. I wish Rochester could hit 100, I'd like to add that to my weather resume around here.

Wow, I feel sorry for you guys. Some people up there don't even have A/c. I got out of NY just in time....

Archived