Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY / North Country - now on to Summer 2011

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another morning with heavy scattered frost. Grass is still not growing in the high country.

Grass is definitely growing here in spite of the frost. I am so glad my garden tractor started -- after replacing the battery.

This dry weather has to help.

Perfect week sofar. A couple frosty mornings, but my lawn has now mostly dried out. Still got stuck mowing twice yesterday trying to get to close to the leftover wet areas, but the the atv pulled out the rider. I might be able to get into the garden tomorrow and on the weekend.:thumbsup:

Ditto.

I cut about half of my lawn that is higher in elevation - around May 3rd. I will venture onto the lower half for the first time on Saturday. Yeah it's pretty overgrown, but smaller price to pay than big track marks to fix from sinking in all over. So I saved some gas. :)

48 here now.... The high was 72 on Thursday. I had a few 35 mornings, but no frost.

Perfect week sofar. A couple frosty mornings, but my lawn has now mostly dried out. Still got stuck mowing twice yesterday trying to get to close to the leftover wet areas, but the the atv pulled out the rider. I might be able to get into the garden tomorrow and on the weekend.:thumbsup:

Yes, after our wet April...this week has been great!

Make it stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*** BUFFALO NOW HAS WETTEST SPRING IN HISTORY

A HEAVY DOWNPOUR DROPPED 0.71 INCH OF RAIN IN LESS THAN AN HOUR

BETWEEN 6 AND 7 PM AT THE BUFFALO AIRPORT. THIS BRINGS THE DAILY

TOTAL UP TO 0.89 INCH AND SEASON TOTAL TO 15.11 INCHES. THIS

ECLIPSES THE ALL TIME SPRING (MAR-MAY) RECORD OF 14.90 INCHES SET

BACK IN 1991. (NORMAL IS 9.38). MORE SHOWERS WILL INCREASE THIS

TOTAL FURTHER BEFORE MIDNIGHT. STAY TUNED.-- End Changed Discussion --

Currently in the middle of another downpour. At this pace, I project we'll break the all-time yearly record by July 4.

Tornado Warning for southern Chatauqua County, including the city of Jamestown.

Tornado Warning

TORNADO WARNINGNYC013-240130-/O.NEW.KBUF.TO.W.0002.110524T0054Z-110524T0130Z/BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDTORNADO WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY854 PM EDT MON MAY 23 2011THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A* TORNADO WARNING FOR... SOUTHERN CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY IN WESTERN NEW YORK... THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF JAMESTOWN...* UNTIL 930 PM EDT* AT 852 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR CLYMER...OR 23 MILES WEST OF JAMESTOWN...MOVING EAST AT 35 MPH.* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR... 6 MILES SOUTH OF JAMESTOWN WEST... CLYMER... PANAMA...PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...IN ADDITION TO THE TORNADO...THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING GOLFBALL SIZE HAIL AND DESTRUCTIVE STRAIGHT LINE WINDS.WHEN A TORNADO WARNING IS ISSUED BASED ON DOPPLER RADAR...IT MEANSTHAT STRONG ROTATION HAS BEEN DETECTED IN THE STORM. A TORNADO MAYALREADY BE ON THE GROUND...OR IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP SHORTLY. IF YOUARE IN THE PATH OF THIS DANGEROUS STORM...MOVE INDOORS AND TO THELOWEST LEVEL OF THE BUILDING. STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS. IF DRIVING...DONOT SEEK SHELTER UNDER A HIGHWAY OVERPASS.THE SAFEST PLACE TO BE DURING A TORNADO IS IN A BASEMENT. GET UNDER AWORKBENCH OR OTHER PIECE OF STURDY FURNITURE. IF NO BASEMENT ISAVAILABLE...SEEK SHELTER ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF THE BUILDING IN ANINTERIOR HALLWAY OR ROOM SUCH AS A CLOSET. USE BLANKETS OR PILLOWS TOCOVER YOUR BODY AND ALWAYS STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS.IF IN MOBILE HOMES OR VEHICLES...EVACUATE THEM AND GET INSIDE ASUBSTANTIAL SHELTER. IF NO SHELTER IS AVAILABLE...LIE FLAT IN THENEAREST DITCH OR OTHER LOW SPOT AND COVER YOUR HEAD WITH YOUR HANDS.&&LAT...LON 4209 7977 4212 7918 4199 7918 4200 7977TIME...MOT...LOC 0054Z 269DEG 28KT 4200 7964$$HIBBERT

Uggggh, still have to mow around the wet spots and it doesn't look good for getting into the garden this weekend.:thumbsdown: On the bright side the peas I planted in the wet garden are up and doing good.

Uggggh, still have to mow around the wet spots and it doesn't look good for getting into the garden this weekend.:thumbsdown: On the bright side the peas I planted in the wet garden are up and doing good.

I'm not sure my timing is good, but I'm going to try to pretty much finish up my planting today to take advantage of the rain that's coming.

And yet another record -

...RECORD RAINFALL FOR THE MONTH OF MAY AND SPRING SEASON AT

BUFFALO...

FREQUENT AND SOMETIMES HEAVY SPRING RAINFALL HAS NOW BROKEN THE

PREVIOUS RECORDS FOR BOTH THE MONTH OF MAY AND THE SPRING SEASON.

FOR MAY...THE RAINFALL TOTAL AT BUFFALO STANDS AT 7.55 INCHES

THROUGH FRIDAY MAY 27TH AT NOON. THE OLD RECORD WAS 7.35 INCHES

SET ALL THE WAY BACK IN 1892.

THE SPRING SEASON RAINFALL TOTAL FOR THE MONTHS OF MARCH...APRIL

AND MAY NOW STANDS AT 17.87 INCHES THROUGH FRIDAY MAY 27TH AT

NOON. THIS SHATTERS THE PREVIOUS RECORD OF 14.90 INCHES SET BACK

IN 1991.

And yet another record -

...RECORD RAINFALL FOR THE MONTH OF MAY AND SPRING SEASON AT

BUFFALO...

FREQUENT AND SOMETIMES HEAVY SPRING RAINFALL HAS NOW BROKEN THE

PREVIOUS RECORDS FOR BOTH THE MONTH OF MAY AND THE SPRING SEASON.

FOR MAY...THE RAINFALL TOTAL AT BUFFALO STANDS AT 7.55 INCHES

THROUGH FRIDAY MAY 27TH AT NOON. THE OLD RECORD WAS 7.35 INCHES

SET ALL THE WAY BACK IN 1892.

THE SPRING SEASON RAINFALL TOTAL FOR THE MONTHS OF MARCH...APRIL

AND MAY NOW STANDS AT 17.87 INCHES THROUGH FRIDAY MAY 27TH AT

NOON. THIS SHATTERS THE PREVIOUS RECORD OF 14.90 INCHES SET BACK

IN 1991.

It never ends!

8.88" for the month here, which is probably one of our wettest months on record. We had 7.34" in April (3rd wettest April), so that makes 16.22" of rain in the past two months. Total snowmelt and rainfall liquid for the year is at 28.90"! We only average 40-45" a year and we've yet to reach our three wettest months (June, July and August usually bring ~15-17" total).

EDIT:

Going through the Jamestown COOP stuff, this is the wettest May on record (beats May 2004 by 0.05") and the 11th wettest month overall. If we get another 0.10" of rain, it goes up to 9th. Wettest month ever was 11.00" in June 1928. However, the 8.88" number is not from the COOP and the COOP's number is certainly different.

Archived