Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY / North Country - now on to Summer 2011

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful day. 56 Degrees. I know, I know, I'm not counting my chickens just yet. bike.gif

Another nice day, if a bit windy at times. It is funny how quiet things get here when the weather is nice. Understandable. And there's always that April storm.

Other than a little rain and light snow Monday and Tuesday....There not much to talk about.

Yeah the next event looks to be wednesday night through thursday then some lingering precip with some kind of inverted trough. It looks cold enough for wintery precip we just need the system to come far enough north.

gfs_pcp_126l.gif

12z Euro has a solid snow event Wed Evening into Thursday Morning roughly along and south of I-90. Probably a solid advisory level snowfall for this area verbatim, although the Southern Tier of NY looks like 1.00-1.25 QPF and pretty much all snow. Have to keep an eye on this one...

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/15705-march-23-24-upstate-ny-north-country-winter-storm/

Just got back from x/c skiing and snowshoeing into my friends camp on the Raquette River in the Daks. There was only about 10" on the ground in Tupper Lake, but 2-3' in the woods at the camp. Absolutely beautiful weekend. Psyched for winters last stand the next few weeks. Looks like some nice snowshoeing in the high peaks this spring. Snow should stick around for a while. :thumbsup:

Backcountry Conditions:

Snow Depth at Lake Colden: 45 inches Snow Depth at 4,000 ft.: 6-7 feet Surface Conditions: Spring surfaces Comments: Use old hiking trail to reach Marcy Dam from ADK Loj. Truck trail has open brook crossing 1/4 mile past the register, but it can be crossed via a detour upstream to a beaver dam if the water is too high. Otherwise, all trails have good cover. With the very warm temperatures on Friday, unbroken areas were soft, but with the cooler conditions they should again have a firm crust so that with skis one doesn't break through. Avalanche Pass broken out. Lake surfaces on Avalanche and Colden may still have water on top from Friday, but are safe for travel. Only caution is that the bridge over Marcy Brook at Avalanche Camp is very narrow and has a broken railing due to ice damage. Marcy broken to the summit. Only problem could be crossing Marcy Brook at Indian Falls. Meadow Lane (South Meadow Rd.)is not plowed and is closed for the winter. Snowshoes or skis required for all High Peaks travel, and needed for all other areas.

That upper level low and the high near the upper Great Lakes has us in a very cold wind tunnel that's for sure..speaking just for me...I wish Spring would get here...But looking at the Euro long range....This cold weather looks to hang on for much of April.

spring is nice but I'd love for this 18z GFS solution to verify.

gfs_slp_090m.gif

gfs_slp_096m.gif

The 12z Euro in the D7-10 range has shorts and tee-shirt weather written all over it. Highs into the 70's reaching into S C NY around H222...:sun:

3 Days later... :sun:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

159 PM EDT TUE APR 5 2011

LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

FOR NOW USED A BLEND BETWEEN THE GFS AND THE EURO WHICH WORKED OUT TO TEMPS NEAR 60 SUNDAY AND MID 60S TO MID 70S FAR SOUTH MONDAY. THIS SEEMS LIKE A GOOD COMPROMISE WITH THE NEW EURO VALUES FAIRLY SIMILAR TO THIS AND NOT QUITE AS BULLISH AS THE PRIOR RUN.

Yesterday's clipperish system stayed south of here as it moved ESE. Clear skies moved back in overnight and so we got down to a respectable 22F.

I spoke with relatives on the plateau (2250') in the western Southern Tier yesterday and they had snow most of the day and 2 inches as of about 5:00 PM... So winter lives on (barely) in a few places. :)

3 Days later... :sun:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

159 PM EDT TUE APR 5 2011

LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

FOR NOW USED A BLEND BETWEEN THE GFS AND THE EURO WHICH WORKED OUT TO TEMPS NEAR 60 SUNDAY AND MID 60S TO MID 70S FAR SOUTH MONDAY. THIS SEEMS LIKE A GOOD COMPROMISE WITH THE NEW EURO VALUES FAIRLY SIMILAR TO THIS AND NOT QUITE AS BULLISH AS THE PRIOR RUN.

Yesterday's clipperish system stayed south of here as it moved ESE. Clear skies moved back in overnight and so we got down to a respectable 22F.

I spoke with relatives on the plateau (2250') in the western Southern Tier yesterday and they had snow most of the day and 2 inches as of about 5:00 PM... So winter lives on (barely) in a few places. :)

It snowed here most of the afternoon and evening, but only accumulated (minorly) on the hilltops. Looks like a nice couple of days ahead.:thumbsup:

It snowed here most of the afternoon and evening, but only accumulated (minorly) on the hilltops. Looks like a nice couple of days ahead.:thumbsup:

I was on my way home last night and there was more new snow in Monticello than Bear Spring Mtn.:banned:

My grass is still utterly brown and inactive...... Just a few snow patches in the deepest woods now and scattered dwindling drifts at the edges of fields. My last plowed pile will be gone by tomorrow maybe, but my driveway sits in full sun. I'm sure people in wooded areas have respectable piles yet.

The mild wx for the weekend will probably wake up the lawn, but I'll never have to mow before May 1st.

All signs of winter are now gone. Dont see any more snow in the woods.

I can't believe how fast the grass is growing already. scooter.gif

My grass is still utterly brown and inactive...... Just a few snow patches in the deepest woods now and scattered dwindling drifts at the edges of fields. My last plowed pile will be gone by tomorrow maybe, but my driveway sits in full sun. I'm sure people in wooded areas have respectable piles yet.

The mild wx for the weekend will probably wake up the lawn, but I'll never have to mow before May 1st.

http://capitalregion.ynn.com/content/weather/weather_stations/

Snow just about gone, ice hanging tough.

Archived