• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY / North Country - now on to Summer 2011

I had around 1/4-1/2 inch of snow this morning...Winds have gusted as high as 45 mph this morning...also, did anyone notice the LES band off the east end of Ontario this morning? And to add insult to injury... The skies will be clear tonight....how low will it go? My guess for areas of the northern Tug over into Old Forge is the low 20's.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice. :snowman: I guess the snow showers that made it all the way into the CD yesterday were tied to Lake Ontario. What a joy to hike in upper 30s/low 40s and that brisk wind, snow flakes flitting down.... It was a classic early November hike in late April. LOL

The low earlier today here was 25F.

I had around 1/4-1/2 inch of snow this morning...Winds have gusted as high as 45 mph this morning...also, did anyone notice the LES band off the east end of Ontario this morning? And to add insult to injury... The skies will be clear tonight....how low will it go? My guess for areas of the northern Tug over into Old Forge is the low 20's.

Nice. :snowman: I guess the snow showers that made it all the way into the CD yesterday were tied to Lake Ontario. What a joy to hike in upper 30s/low 40s and that brisk wind, snow flakes flitting down.... It was a classic early November hike in late April. LOL

The low earlier today here was 25F.

Yes they were........Hiking when it's like that is beautiful.........Temp here was 23.

This is where I hiked yesterday. Right in my own backyard (10 miles northeast of here) ...Plotterkill Gorge. It is canyon like and the water drops 900 feet over three miles, three waterfalls up to 60 ft high, and empties into the Mohawk just beyond..... Exists within 2 miles of the edge of the CD suburbia and wild there...

Link: http://hikingplotterkill.wordpress.com/

Note: Here in ENY most streams end in "kill" (Dutch for stream).....

As for tonight 41/21 out there. CNY people such as Roady may be starting with some frozen around now.

Yes they were........Hiking when it's like that is beautiful.........Temp here was 23.

I used to visit my sister regularly when she was in Tampa and I always said everyday is like Groundhog Day (the movie) in FL..... I felt cut off from the real world in such a climate without true seasons. Oh yeah they would get the occasional 55-60F day in January and the natives would be wearing shorts with a sweatshirt and talking about how bitter cold it was. :snowman:

Low here was 25* last night. Temp was 88 high and 75 low every day in the Keys. How boring. LOL

Happy Easter everyone.......

At least the warming trend will be starting........There's a slight slight chance for T-storms later this afternoon...the chances get a little better tomorrow and Tuesday.......But the indices show a chance for a few severe cells Wednesday night thru Thursday Morning. with everything clearing out by Thursday Night.....So Friday looks dry .....It's been awhile since we've seen a dry day....I'm looking forward to it :thumbsup:

Nice I have done that mountain several times ....from the longer road of via the old ski area and the faster steeper ascent from the gap between Bearpen and Vly mounains. It's a nice hike.

Here we are fogged in and 56 as of 10:30 AM. This is a dirty airmass..not a pleasant sunny spring period even if it does eventually get warm. Overnight it poured again with close to an inch more into our swampy fields.

Disgusting morning, 60° and muggy.:thumbsdown: On the bright side, my boss went hiking on Bearpen Mountain this weekend and said there was still 2 feet of snow on the hiking/snowmobile trail near the old ski center.

No storms here today, but we jumped around 20 degrees in two hours and peaked at 79F.....

HOLY CRAP!

What an awesome storm. Strong winds, great lightning streaks, insanely loud thunder. 1.75" hail reported in Syracuse! My street is practically impassible.

I love severe storms.

(When it just plain rains its sooo boring, I hate that)

I haven't been on AWX in a bit. Just want to go on record and say this weather sucks...

Years ago I lived in LA and was visiting Las Vegas.

I was asked, "Do you know why it's windy in Las Vegas?"

Before I came up with some sort of a meteorological reply, I was told:

"Because LA sucks."

Ta-dah.

Could there be a similar pattern in this part of the country?

scooter.gif

It looks like a pretty idyllic spring week upcoming to me. That is is you are content with 60s and a few 70s, partly cloudy skies etc.... Those that want early summer might be impatient, but we are far enough west to avoid any marine debacles I think so this pattern will be boring, but pleasant.

Goodness knows we need a stretch of dry wx to allow my lawn to dry enough to support the cub cadet. I mowed the drier areas for the first time last week, but still haven't been able to get on all the ground.... This the worst mud season since 2005 I'd say.

Years ago I lived in LA and was visiting Las Vegas.

I was asked, "Do you know why it's windy in Las Vegas?"

Before I came up with some sort of a meteorological reply, I was told:

"Because LA sucks."

Ta-dah.

Could there be a similar pattern in this part of the country?

scooter.gif

It looks like a pretty idyllic spring week upcoming to me. That is is you are content with 60s and a few 70s, partly cloudy skies etc.... Those that want early summer might be impatient, but we are far enough west to avoid any marine debacles I think so this pattern will be boring, but pleasant.

Goodness knows we need a stretch of dry wx to allow my lawn to dry enough to support the cub cadet. I mowed the drier areas for the first time last week, but still haven't been able to get on all the ground.... This the worst mud season since 2005 I'd say.

100% agreement here. 60's is plenty warm to me, but really I just want some dry weather to allow my lawn, garden, etc to dry out.

I was in the Catskills this weekend and saw some leftover snow on Hunter's ski slopes, but no natural snow. I was with a group of 13, including my 80 year old Grandmother so we didn't do any real hiking but it was a good time. The contrast looking over the Hudson Valley (in what appeared to be near full leafout) from the old Catskill Mountain House site with leaves just starting to show up if you looked close was pretty neat.

I was last at the Mountain House Site in January when our hike club did a snow shoe around that area. It was bitter cold with the wind on that open spot. :) I know that area like the back of my hand because I was immediately below there in the HV where I lived between Saugerties and Catskill for many years.....

100% agreement here. 60's is plenty warm to me, but really I just want some dry weather to allow my lawn, garden, etc to dry out.

I was in the Catskills this weekend and saw some leftover snow on Hunter's ski slopes, but no natural snow. I was with a group of 13, including my 80 year old Grandmother so we didn't do any real hiking but it was a good time. The contrast looking over the Hudson Valley (in what appeared to be near full leafout) from the old Catskill Mountain House site with leaves just starting to show up if you looked close was pretty neat.

Archived