• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Upstate NY / North Country - now on to Summer 2011

Yeah one of those storms got me pretty good with some torrential rain and decent lightning. It was around 6 or 7 PM. That knocked the temperature back to the upper 60's after a high of 89 here. Then a few other areas of storms mainly passed south while just grazing me.

Just got the first little bit of rain in quite awhile sometime last night. Just missed some pretty good looking (on radar) storms to my east late yesterday evening. It looked like Rick would have got something out of it.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got back from a nice hike/walk along the Catskill Scenic Trail from east of Delhi to Hobart in Delaware County, NY. The trail follows the old Ulster and Delaware RR grade and traverses the West Branch of the Delaware River a few times. About 8.5 miles and temps were perfect - low/mid 60's.

Nice hike Rick, and good weather for it.

I just got back from a nice hike/walk along the Catskill Scenic Trail from east of Delhi to Hobart in Delaware County, NY. The trail follows the old Ulster and Delaware RR grade and traverses the West Branch of the Delaware River a few times. About 8.5 miles and temps were perfect - low/mid 60's.

Nice. I've spent many a winter day on those tracks, usually trying to get to more hilly and twisty trails. I biked from Bloomville (where I assume you started) to Stamford and back years ago before I had a house and kids and actually had some free time. Nice area, and the scenery is quite a bit different than from the roads that parallel it.

Nice. I've spent many a winter day on those tracks, usually trying to get to more hilly and twisty trails. I biked from Bloomville (where I assume you started) to Stamford and back years ago before I had a house and kids and actually had some free time. Nice area, and the scenery is quite a bit different than from the roads that parallel it.

It's been too long since I've been on my bike but this weather would be just about right. I'm 15 minutes from Bloomville and I'm sad to say I've not yet tried the trail. Maybe tomorrow...

Yeah started at the current southwest terminus of the trail in Bloomville. The old RR grade then goes NW to Oneonta, but that section was never converted to rail trail. I have also done the Stamford to Grand Gorge stretch and that is very nice. Maybe I'll do GG to Roxbury next.....

That trail passes right by the Belle Terre mansion near South Kortright. All you can find on the net is info about it being a drug treatment place now, but apparently it was built by some gilded age wealthy family.

Yeah started at the current southwest terminus of the trail in Bloomville. The old RR grade then goes NW to Oneonta, but that section was never converted to rail trail. I have also done the Stamford to Grand Gorge stretch and that is very nice. Maybe I'll do GG to Roxbury next.....

That trail passes right by the Belle Terre mansion near South Kortright. All you can find on the net is info about it being a drug treatment place now, but apparently it was built by some gilded age wealthy family.

I can see part of the highlighted portion from my place. Parts of that portion are washed out so it would be tough to do much with it now (plus part of it is privately owned now). Still pretty easy to see where it ran in most spots though. I could really get into the RR history in this area someday. Some real interesting areas (tunnels, switchbacks, etc.).

By the way, beautiful morning here 43.1°. Stuck in the office now though.:thumbsdown:

Nice low temp. :) A balmy 50 here. Now up to 65 and partly sunny at noon. I can see us reaching the low/mid 70's by 5 PM, but I don't think forecasts of upper 70's will verify today.

I guess we are essentially at our longest days now and plateau into early July when we begin to lose a little daylight slowly.

I can see part of the highlighted portion from my place. Parts of that portion are washed out so it would be tough to do much with it now (plus part of it is privately owned now). Still pretty easy to see where it ran in most spots though. I could really get into the RR history in this area someday. Some real interesting areas (tunnels, switchbacks, etc.).

By the way, beautiful morning here 43.1°. Stuck in the office now though.:thumbsdown:

Hi guys, I'm from the southern forums checking in to ask a few questions. My grandfather live on Oneida Lake near Syracuse. I have visited many times, sometimes in the dead of winter (man do you guys get some heavy lake effect up there). I've also visited in the summer months. Well July 13th-July 18th I'll be up there again. I've seen July and August mornings down under 50 before up there and am hoping for some cool weather to beat the heat down here in Atlanta.

My question... Do any of you guys have an idea of what kind of pattern will possibly be setting up around update NY in mid July. I know it's kind of early but if anyone has some ideas I'd love to hear it. Just please don't tell me it going to be hot because there is no A/C up there lol. I remember some summers up there it pushing 100 degrees.

Thanks in advance,

Hawksfan/Pearson

Maybe the met's here can comment on the long range wx patterns for Middle July. You get a lot of that kind of speculation in our neighboring NE threads and they are much more active there during this doldrums season.

July here in Upstate NY can be extremely variable as the you said. We usually get our two or three weeks of true heat and if you pick that week it might be every bit as bad as the south. :devilsmiley: Or it could be lovely. :)

As August progresses we get more and more nice air masses usually so if you are talking law of averages that's more likely to have a pre-Autumnal feel.

Hi guys, I'm from the southern forums checking in to ask a few questions. My grandfather live on Oneida Lake near Syracuse. I have visited many times, sometimes in the dead of winter (man do you guys get some heavy lake effect up there). I've also visited in the summer months. Well July 13th-July 18th I'll be up there again. I've seen July and August mornings down under 50 before up there and am hoping for some cool weather to beat the heat down here in Atlanta.

My question... Do any of you guys have an idea of what kind of pattern will possibly be setting up around update NY in mid July. I know it's kind of early but if anyone has some ideas I'd love to hear it. Just please don't tell me it going to be hot because there is no A/C up there lol. I remember some summers up there it pushing 100 degrees.

Thanks in advance,

Hawksfan/Pearson

Thanks in advance,

Hawksfan/Pearson

It's usually a crapshoot like Logan said. The way this season has been going, you never know how the pattern will end up.

Oneida Lake is a nice vacation spot. Would like to have a place on it someday. Enjoy your trip.

EF0 FTW. :) I had a heck of a cloud burst yesterday, but that was about it.

You win....it was an EF0...I went down and checked the touchdown area......saw hardwood tree branches up around 2 inches snapped....and a few small trees uprooted......I estimate the 3 sec max winds were 65 mph or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance,

Hawksfan/Pearson

Sorry to bug again, any new news on this topic guys? any ideas yet?

Sorry to bug again, any new news on this topic guys? any ideas yet?

Hawksfan, When I looked at the ECMWF long range the other day...It showed seasonable conditions for the first half of July. For the second half it was still seasonable except for northern NYS; where it looks to be fairly warm. But Remember, forecasting long term summer weather patterns is a lot like playing the lottery, at least in my opinion.

Not here. :) It was a picture perfect day with a high of 80.4F and decent dew points around 57-60 all day. Then it got really nice after dinner as it slipped back through 70's with a nice breeze. Northwest winds are sweet here where it doesn't downslope.

65/51 at midnight here...

What a localized crappy disaster of a day here today from a cluster of T-storms and the resultant outflow boundaries. Just one flair up after another over the same 20 mile wide corridor all afternoon :arrowhead:

Not here. :) It was a picture perfect day with a high of 80.4F and decent dew points around 57-60 all day. Then it got really nice after dinner as it slipped back through 70's with a nice breeze. Northwest winds are sweet here where it doesn't downslope.

65/51 at midnight here...

Yea, beautiful day yesterday and overnight it dropped to 47°. I was at the tug all weekend, but it rained pretty good at some point at home as there was 1.9" of rain in my cheap rain guage and I have puddles in the usual spots in my lawn. They had been dried up for quite awhile before this. It rained Saturday night up there so that is probably when it rained, but we got nowhere near that much up there.

55 here this morning.... Up to 69.4... en route to low 80's I guess...

Yea, beautiful day yesterday and overnight it dropped to 47°. I was at the tug all weekend, but it rained pretty good at some point at home as there was 1.9" of rain in my cheap rain guage and I have puddles in the usual spots in my lawn. They had been dried up for quite awhile before this. It rained Saturday night up there so that is probably when it rained, but we got nowhere near that much up there.

Archived