joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY / North Country - now on to Summer 2011

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeh no complaints here!

I raise the white flag of surrender to this winter. Some snow behind a cold front this time of year is one thing, but snow like today on April 18 is just wrong. It had the look of a mid-winter snow with a bit of a fluff factor and accumulation even on paved areas. My snow-love only goes so far when golf courses are open and baseball games are scheduled....

It's gonna be snowless for May, June, July, August. September, and most likely October (freak one day flurries not withstanding)..... That should be enough to satisfy the warm season lovers. :devilsmiley:

As for me .. Of course I'm "all in" - should some late April snow threat happen here in ENY...though it probably wont.

I raise the white flag of surrender to this winter. Some snow behind a cold front this time of year is one thing, but snow like today on April 18 is just wrong. It had the look of a mid-winter snow with a bit of a fluff factor and accumulation even on paved areas. My snow-love only goes so far when golf courses are open and baseball games are scheduled....

It's gonna be snowless for May, June, July, August. September, and most likely October (freak one day flurries not withstanding)..... That should be enough to satisfy the warm season lovers. :devilsmiley:

As for me .. Of course I'm "all in" - should some late April snow threat happen here in ENY...though it probably wont.

Summer 1816 would have been a dream year for you.

The severe threat looks limited to SE NY and western PA....But right now I think it will be a broken line with embedded thunder North of Oneonta...South of there, has a chance for strong to severe cells, if they can get some sunshine. The Cape looks to be 500-900 J/Kg and there will be enough instability in the hail growth zone that hail and winds mixing down could be an issue. For the Northern tier with the strong winds aloft we could have some wind gust in the 30-35 mph range with maybe a garden variety thunderstorm or two.

I'm looking for temps to be 22-25 at my house Wed night - Thur morning...So upslope snow is a good bet.......My word for the spring weather so far in northern NY is aridly

This has been close to the chilliest spot in the state all day here because we stayed locked in OVC the whole time. Now the steady -RN and down to 34F here with totally saturated air. Some cold must be draining down a bit because we keep slipping a little. That would be funny if we nudged the 32 degree mark. :)

The severe threat looks limited to SE NY and western PA....But right now I think it will be a broken line with embedded thunder North of Oneonta...South of there, has a chance for strong to severe cells, if they can get some sunshine. The Cape looks to be 500-900 J/Kg and there will be enough instability in the hail growth zone that hail and winds mixing down could be an issue. For the Northern tier with the strong winds aloft we could have some wind gust in the 30-35 mph range with maybe a garden variety thunderstorm or two.

I'm looking for temps to be 22-25 at my house Wed night - Thur morning...So upslope snow is a good bet.......My word for the spring weather so far in northern NY is aridly

This has been close to the chilliest spot in the state all day here because we stayed locked in OVC the whole time. Now the steady -RN and down to 34F here with totally saturated air. Some cold must be draining down a bit because we keep slipping a little. That would be funny if we nudged the 32 degree mark. :)

Let's hope we get that warm up next week :thumbsup:

Thunder for an hour or so around 3-4am. Nothing like a shaking, crying dog during the night.

.51" of rain on top of the 1.10" the day before.

A "tail" of thunderstorms just whipped through. A sudden downpour and a big boom five minutes later. It looks like that should do it for a while.

My dog, like many, could work at the NWS in thunderstorm prediction. Is there a solid explanation as to how they do it?

A "tail" of thunderstorms just whipped through. A sudden downpour and a big boom five minutes later. It looks like that should do it for a while.

My dog, like many, could work at the NWS in thunderstorm prediction. Is there a solid explanation as to how they do it?

haha Really. I have 1 who 1/2 hour before will go hide under a table or in a dark room.

Then the other who whines and shakes himself to death. The other 2 could care less.

haha Really. I have 1 who 1/2 hour before will go hide under a table or in a dark room.

Then the other who whines and shakes himself to death. The other 2 could care less.

I think if there were a scientific explanation for their sensitivity, it could lead to the development of new weather instrumentation.

lightning.gif

An impressive April snow event across a lot of Quebec north of Montreal..basically Central Laurentians on north.... Mont Tremblant area is catching it some and even more to their north. Heck if I was one of the Ottawa guys I'd be taking a road trip up to around Mont Laurier today. ;)

Mont Tremblant Forecast

Issued: 5:00 AM EDT Wednesday 20 April 2011

Snowfall warning in effect.Today:Snow at times heavy mixed with ice pellets. Risk of freezing rain this afternoon. Snow and ice pellet amount 20 cm. Wind becoming east 30 km/h gusting to 50 this morning. High plus 1. Tonight:Snow. Amount 5 to 10 cm. Wind becoming northwest 20 km/h gusting to 40 overnight. Low minus 2. Thursday:A few flurries ending in the afternoon then cloudy periods. Wind northwest 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light early in the evening. High plus 4.

I think if there were a scientific explanation for their sensitivity, it could lead to the development of new weather instrumentation.

lightning.gif

I just had another good flurry and it slipped back to 35 degrees out there. :snowman:

:lol:

Hope you're enjoying it. Down here in State College we may at least see some flakes tomorrow morning....and if the colder solutions come to fruition, a light accumulation is within the realm of possibility. I'm ready for warmth, but hey, if it's going to be unpleasantly cool, might as well have an anomalous snowfall event, right?

Archived