amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 20-23 Severe Threat

Jim Martin

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'd hate (or love) to see what they would've gone with if they thought the full potential would be realized.

If the GOM surface ridging wasn't there this probably would've ended up a High Risk day 1 methinks.

New Day 2 back to 30%, haha. (Probably after the forecaster saw the atrocious dewpoint forecasts progged by the 12Z NAM.)

they do have a svr threat outlined but south of the boundary looks to remained capped until after dark so the threat of tornadoes looks slim to none.

Exactly, the sig. tornado ingredients is like any parameter, you need to know what goes into it. And while there is good CAPE and shear in that region, the cap isn't factored into the calculation at all. Hence, why the SPC is highlighting severe risks for elevated convection tonight.

Confirmed TOR in CA FYI%2

Yep. Perhaps an indication of some of the energy with this incoming system. If we had a good strong gulf flow things would really heat up tomorrow. As it is it may still be rather interesting. Adequate depth of moisture always seems to be the variable of concern with early spring systems. Tor formed with 500 CAPE in Sacramento valley.

Totally unscientific observation...It seems odd to me to be worried about capping now. I've read about thermonuclear caps during summer with tremendous amounts of CAPE and then nothing happens, but now?

It's all relative remember. Early season events don't need 700 mb to be +12C to be capped.

Totally unscientific observation...It seems odd to me to be worried about capping now. I've read about thermonuclear caps during summer with tremendous amounts of CAPE and then nothing happens, but now?

It may have something to do with the drought or the east coast troughiness this past winter.

My hypothesis is that because the source region is drier, the EML is too, which increases the depth and strength of the layer. This, in conjunction with the drier-than-normal Plains, allows the EML to advect further eastward with less overturning or dampening.

As for the troughiness, a colder ground and a colder GOM means air mass modification is slower, and often accompanied by lots of low-level clouds. This makes EML-associated inversions more difficult to overcome by low-level warm advection.

It may have something to do with the drought or the east coast troughiness this past winter.

My hypothesis is that because the source region is drier, the EML is too, which increases the depth and strength of the layer. This, in conjunction with the drier-than-normal Plains, allows the EML to advect further eastward with less overturning or dampening.

As for the troughiness, a colder ground and a colder GOM means air mass modification is slower, and often accompanied by lots of low-level clouds. This makes EML-associated inversions more difficult to overcome by low-level warm advection.

Sounds reasonable. But boy, if that dry line trends farther east this svr season when quality gulf moisture does become available the Midwest is going to be in for quite an active couple of months if we get sustained troughiness in the west.

Sounds reasonable. But boy, if that dry line trends farther east this svr season when quality gulf moisture does become available the Midwest is going to be in for quite an active couple of months if we get sustained troughiness in the west.

Certainly a plausible possibility.

I agree with all of these as being possibilities.

From a more purely synoptic perspective, it seems like we've yet to get a good, deep wrn CONUS trough that would be associated with backed H85 flow over a large portion of the warm sector. The result has been SW to SSW winds at H85 with several setups, which always spells cap problems in the Plains.

I myself have thought about staying in IL tomorrow and playing the warm front, dew points pooling in the 60's.

Sirvatka also mentioned the IL play looking at the 18z NAM in class tonight.

That's honestly the best play for tomorrow chasing...w/o a doubt...

That or cold-core in W/NW IA...

This is what I'm waiting for. If we can keep the Pacific wave train active over the next month or two, it's only a matter of time until these events produce...and possibly in a big way.

I myself have thought about staying in IL tomorrow and playing the warm front, dew points pooling in the 60's.

Sirvatka also mentioned the IL play looking at the 18z NAM in class tonight.

I'd watch the area around the I-74 and I-72 corridors for some low topped supercell potential.

Archived