Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 4-8 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, and w/ the lake probably out of business, save for maybe some sort of brief last hurrah at some point...we're close to all done for the season. Golf weather can't get here soon enough.

Entry-level snow continues here, maybe 1/2-3/4 mile vis. Not enough snow to bother measuring till tomorrow morning, something like 2 or 3 inches by calibrated nighttime eyeball. We could hit 4 or 5 inches, which is better than the sum total of the last two March's.

I'm getting reeled in a little bit (again).....looking at the composite radars, there has been a subtle, but significant halt to the back edge, and the echoes to our south have taken on quite a more north (or dare I say NNNW) turn. We could luck into some decent deformation action overnight, outside the main show to our ESE....I'll bite for a little bit....RUC has certianly demonstrated a decent westward trend over the last 6-8 hours or so with the .1"/hr. line.....

My son and I just drove up to Thacher Park (1200' (I'm at 225') due west (10 miles) of my house). 31F with freezing rain and sleet here. Temp on the way up dropped to 29F. At 1200' it was heavy wind blown sleet with about 1.5" of sleet on the ground and the roads. Roads were oddly not slippery. There were some flakes starting to mix in up there. This is more of an east / west snow gradient than a typical elevation storm like last Feb. My temperature at the house hasn't budged for hours. If I I had driven another few miles west I bet it would have changed to snow, but I didn't want to chance it and we had to get back home.

My son and I just drove up to Thacher Park (1200' (I'm at 225') due west (10 miles) of my house). 31F with freezing rain and sleet here. Temp on the way up dropped to 29F. At 1200' it was heavy wind blown sleet with about 1.5" of sleet on the ground and the roads. Roads were oddly not slippery. There were some flakes starting to mix in up there. This is more of an east / west snow gradient than a typical elevation storm like last Feb. My temperature at the house hasn't budged for hours. If I I had driven another few miles west I bet it would have changed to snow, but I didn't want to chance it and we had to get back home.

if its still sleet in thacher park this is an incredible gradient.. duanesburg has been all snow for hours several miles away. figures the line would set up almost identically to 2/25/10 lol.

If this doesn't change over soon we're gonna end up with quite the ice storm here. heavy ZR/PL continues with the temp holding at 30.2

Am wondering about the potential for power outages in the CD tonight/tomorrow morning. Have noticed icicles hanging from power lines outside my window and in some traffic cams (www.511ny.org) between Albany and Saratoga Springs. Looks like a tree is glazed over in the Clifton Park picture.

Adding ice and any heavy wet snow to what's already on the power lines with some wind ... could be nasty. I guess the least hazardous scenario would be a prolonged period of sleet.

Overnight: Snow. Low around 25. North wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible. According to the NWS I will get at most 4 more inches tonight............................ :arrowhead:

congrats you could push 1.5 ft with over an inch of liquid left to come and ratios improving.

Am wondering about the potential for power outages in the CD tonight/tomorrow morning. Have noticed icicles hanging from power lines outside my window and in some traffic cams (www.511ny.org) between Albany and Saratoga Springs. Looks like a tree is glazed over in the Clifton Park picture.

Adding ice and any heavy wet snow to what's already on the power lines with some wind ... could be nasty. I guess the least hazardous scenario would be a prolonged period of sleet.

yeah a power outage is the last thing i want and expected from this storm. just gimme 3" of sleet with 1" of snow on top to make it look nice thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Wow. I've been snow for 6 hours... I'm stunned that Thacher hasn't flipped yet! :arrowhead:

Just measured... :snowman::snowman::snowman::snowman::snowman::snowman::snowman:

congrats you could push 1.5 ft with over an inch of liquid left to come and ratios improving.

I don't know whats going on with these guys. They missed the changeover by 10 hours here and even as the 18z models and 0z NAM came in wetter, they refused to substantially up the snow totals. How was it 5-9" when it was gonna flip to snow at 1am and 6-10" when they know it flipped around 3pm? I know this was a tough storm to forecast but once it flipped to snow even my 11 yr old daughter looked at the radar and said there's no way were having school tomorrow

Except this time it's 900-800mb temps, not surface temps. :thumbsdown:

yeah lol i'd prefer this sleet over rain like last year though. i dont think theres much hope for us seeing warning criteria snow out of this unless that deformation band sits right over us tomorrow morning.

Slightly colder than last February's storm here...been mostly snow here for a little while, w/ the occaisional pellets...unless its the wind. Quite gusty out there with limited visibilities at times.

yeah lol i'd prefer this sleet over rain like last year though. i dont think theres much hope for us seeing warning criteria snow out of this unless that deformation band sits right over us tomorrow morning.

Archived