• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 4-8 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

Figured I'd start a topic now for early discussion about this storm since its been on the GFS for quite a few runs now. The 06z rakes KBUF and WNY with almost 2 inches of QPF AFTER 850mb/surface temps drop below zero. Hopefully this can be the "big daddy" storm of the year and we can end winter 2011 with a "BANG!"

Good luck to all, and lets hope we can all cash in on this one!

post-1351-0-06301500-1298902867.gif

post-1351-0-85473000-1298902872.gif

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... already in the HWO at D6... :yikes:

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

1011 AM EST MON FEB 28 2011

NORTHERN ONEIDA-YATES-SENECA-SOUTHERN CAYUGA-ONONDAGA-STEUBEN-SCHUYLER-CHEMUNG-TOMPKINS-MADISON-SOUTHERN ONEIDA-CORTLAND-CHENANGO-OTSEGO-TIOGA-BROOME-DELAWARE-SULLIVAN-

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NEW YORK...SOUTHEASTERN NEW YORK AND NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.

DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY.

A LARGE STORM SYSTEM WILL DEVELOP OVER THE GULF COAST AND MOVE NORTHEAST ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY. IT/S TOO EARLY TO PREDICT THE EXACT TRACK OF THE STORM BUT THIS SYSTEM COULD BRING A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW TO THE AREA OVER THE WEEKEND...WITH SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS AND/OR HEAVY RAINFALL AMOUNTS.

Well today's storm was supposed to be something major, and all it has been has been some rain this morning and a day around 40°. We may not even hit a 1/2" of rain. That said, a heavy rain or heavy snow will have big implications so I guess it's not a bad idea to make people aware of it.

I see the 0Z Euro ensembles get the low to the Jersey Shore ultimately. It looks like rain to snow in ENY ....looking at the average of various models. The GGEM keeping the low well inland all the way to Quebec and seems a western outlier at this point. Though certainly within the realm....

the euro is actually even more widespread with heavy qpf lol

this has a strong signal for a massive qpf event somewhere for several days now.

watching intently!

Well today's storm was supposed to be something major, and all it has been has been some rain this morning and a day around 40°. We may not even hit a 1/2" of rain. That said, a heavy rain or heavy snow will have big implications so I guess it's not a bad idea to make people aware of it.

Yes, but this new potential storm is more of a Miller A type...roots are from the GOM...unlike the current one. In addition, the models tend to do better with GOM lows as opposed to Midwest runners...just my observation.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

1011 AM EST MON FEB 28 2011

NORTHERN ONEIDA-YATES-SENECA-SOUTHERN CAYUGA-ONONDAGA-STEUBEN-SCHUYLER-CHEMUNG-TOMPKINS-MADISON-SOUTHERN ONEIDA-CORTLAND-CHENANGO-OTSEGO-TIOGA-BROOME-DELAWARE-SULLIVAN-

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NEW YORK...SOUTHEASTERN NEW YORK AND NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.

DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY.

A LARGE STORM SYSTEM WILL DEVELOP OVER THE GULF COAST AND MOVE NORTHEAST ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY. IT/S TOO EARLY TO PREDICT THE EXACT TRACK OF THE STORM BUT THIS SYSTEM COULD BRING A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW TO THE AREA OVER THE WEEKEND...WITH SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS AND/OR HEAVY RAINFALL AMOUNTS.

Wake me when it gets closer if you dont mind. smile.gif

Yep... total flip by the GFS..... We'll see what the Euro says....

Dear Rick,

Please keep your Eastern NY bias out of this thread, thanks. IMO, the signifcant spread on the Euro along with several complete misses, is what allowed for such an easterly mean placement of the surface low. At this point, it's becoming even more evident that there should be more concern about the surface low heading through Michigan than Cape May.

Dear Rick,

Please keep your Eastern NY bias out of this thread, thanks. IMO, the signifcant spread on the Euro along with several complete misses, is what allowed for such an easterly mean placement of the surface low. At this point, it's becoming even more evident that there should be more concern about the surface low heading through Michigan than Cape May.

I think thats jumping the gun, its too early to speculate either way of Cape May or Detroit.

Dear Rick,

What? He cant have an opinion? You must be from downstate.

Vs the other obvious biases here?

the "Upstate NY" area is a big one - lots of folks get excited about a storm in "upstate ny" though the "rest" of us may not see snow. Likewise sometimes we get excited, and others may not be on the models to see snow.

Thankfully by now most of us know where we are coming from geographically (if not mentally rolleyes.gif ) and can figure out whether the post is relevant for our own area within the subforum.

Back on topic, I'll be curious to see what DOES happen with this storm. When models agree a storm is likely to form this far out I enjoy watching to see if they are right or not, regardless of who gets the precipitation. It is amazing how far the science has come.

Dear Rick,

given that every system has trended S and E this year, i see no reason to rule out any possiblities based on model runs 5+ days out.

for all we know, there may not even be a storm at this range if the energy craps out.

you get the MOS data?

nice, will have to remember that ;)

I have no idea what MOS means lol...pardon my ignorance, but I am just getting into all this storm tracking, and learning via these forums as I go along!

I have the Accuweather pro account, and they update the Euro text data (maybe that is MOS?) in pretty much real time, so I get it from there.

I have no idea what MOS means lol...pardon my ignorance, but I am just getting into all this storm tracking, and learning via these forums as I go along!

I have the Accuweather pro account, and they update the Euro text data (maybe that is MOS?) in pretty much real time, so I get it from there.

hah yeah thats what i meant

are you sure you want to get into storm tracking? its an illness you know :yikes:

Wow. Where did that come from? I've never heard anyone that posts here have a complaint about Rick's posts before.

Dear Rick,

HPC...

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

128 PM EST MON FEB 28 2011

VALID 12Z THU MAR 03 2011 - 12Z MON MAR 07 2011

PRELIMINARY UPDATE...

USED THE 00Z/28 ECENS MEAN TO UPDATE THE PRELIMINARY FRONTS AND SURFACE PRESSURES FOR DAYS 3 THROUGH 7. THE ECENS MEAN HAS VERIFIED STRONGLY...ON THE AVERAGE...WITH SURFACE PRESSURES OVER CENTRAL NORTH AMERICA THROUGH THIS PAST COLD SEASON AS COMPARED WITH THE OTHER GLOBAL GUIDANCE...AFFORDING A YARD STICK OF SORTS FOR SORTING THROUGH MODEL DIVERGENCE AT THE MEDIUM RANGE. THE CURRENT FORECAST PERIOD IS MARKED BY JUST SUCH DIVERGENCE OVER THE EASTERN UNITED STATES...WITH A CLUSTER OF GUIDANCE SHOWING AN EARLY AND PRONOUNCED SPLIT IN THE FLOW OVER THE SOUTH...AND ANOTHER CLUSTER INDICATING A MORE INTEGRATED... PROGRESSIVE FLOW. THE GFS AND GEFS MEAN ARE THE MOST PROGRESSIVE OF THE LATEST GUIDANCE. THE DETERMINISTIC ECMWF HAS TRENDED TOWARD SPLITTING FARTHER EAST OVER THE DEEP SOUTH...WITH THE 00Z/28 ECENS MEAN REFLECTING A COMPROMISE BETWEEN THE SLOWEST...SPLIT SOLUTIONS... AND THE FASTEST...INTEGRATED ONES. THE FLOW OVER THE WEST IS MORE STABLE...WITH CONTINENTAL POLAR AIR BANKED AGAINST THE FRONT RANGE OF THE NORTHERN ROCKIES...AND A BROAD MEAN TROUGH CENTERED JUST OFF THE PACIFIC COAST.

FINAL...

MADE NO CHANGES TO THE UPDATE PACKAGE FOR THE FINAL ISSUANCE. THE 12Z/28 GFS AND GEFS MEAN CONTINUE TO BE ON THE PROGRESSIVE END OF THE GUIDANCE WITH THE FLOW ACROSS THE EASTERN STATES DURING THE SECOND HALF OF THE PERIOD. THE GEM GLOBAL IS CLOSE TO THE 00Z/28 ECENS MEAN...A VOTE OF CONFIDENCE FOR THE CURRENT FORECAST. TARGETED RECONNAISSANCE OBSERVATIONS HAVE BEEN DISCUSSED FOR THE PACIFIC OCEAN DURING THE PERIOD TO HELP SORT OUT THE CRITICAL REGION BELIEVED TO HAVE BEARING ON THE DOWNSTREAM SPLIT.

CISCO

00z ECM Ens Mean... The 12z run will be out shortly...

post-538-0-15828100-1298926702.gif

post-538-0-46148100-1298926708.gif

Archived