Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 4-8 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more thing...you all expecting rain or snow?

Everyone is going to see atleast some rain, though amounts are still unknown.

As far as Upstate is concerned... any accumulating snow chances are likely going to hinge on how close any secondary low pressure tracks to the region. The models are all over the place on the latter idea, so how much snow.... if any is still wildly up in the air.

KALB

BY SATURDAY NIGHT...SURFACE AND LOW LEVEL TEMPS WILL HAVE WARMED

ENOUGH TO EXPECT ONLY RAIN ACROSS THE ENTIRE FORECAST AREA...WITH

THE TEMPS REMAINING WARM ENOUGH FOR RAIN THROUGH THE DAYLIGHT HOURS

ON SUNDAY. FOR SUNDAY NIGHT...AS THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY GRADUALLY

MOVES EAST ACROSS THE REGION AND A SURFACE LOW DEVELOPS ALONG

IT...RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW FROM WEST TO EAST ACROSS THE

REGION...WITH ALL AREAS COLD ENOUGH FOR SNOW BY SUNRISE MONDAY.

STEADY PCPN COULD LINGER INTO MONDAY...BUT AT THIS POINT CHOSE TO

LOWER POPS TO ONLY CHANCE LEVELS...AND CHANGE PCPN WORDING TO

SHOWERS (MAINLY SNOW SHOWERS...BUT SOUTHEAST AREAS COULD WARM ENOUGH

DURING THE DAY FOR MIXED RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS).

LOOKING AT THE BIG PICTURE...THIS SYSTEM WILL LIKELY PRODUCE HEAVY

RAIN ACROSS THE REGION WITH THE ISSUANCE OF A FLOOD WATCH A GOOD BET

AS THE TIME FRAME GETS CLOSER...THEN IT WILL TRANSITION TO A WINTER

EVENT WITH HEADLINES FOR SNOWFALL ALSO POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY NORTH

AND WEST OF ALBANY. STAY TUNED.

good to see all the warmer models trending towards the cooler, more consistent GFS.....though even the GFS gets the surface warm enough to support rain for a time.

also good to see the reemergence of a more potent secondary, somewhat.

however, there are still important hurdles, including the ejection of the western energy tomorrow morning from that big gyre off the BC coast.

as a result, plenty of variabilty still to come today likely.

That looks like a pretty nice set up for Western NY to southern Quebec at 84 hours - as the low finally gets ready to wrap up and make its final move. Probably a soaking rain here - maybe ending as a some snow. Verbatim that is.....

good to see all the warmer models trending towards the cooler, more consistent GFS.....though even the GFS gets the surface warm enough to support rain for a time.

also good to see the reemergence of a more potent secondary, somewhat.

however, there are still important hurdles, including the ejection of the western energy tomorrow morning from that big gyre off the BC coast.

as a result, plenty of variabilty still to come today likely.

That looks like a pretty nice set up for Western NY to southern Quebec at 84 hours - as the low finally gets ready to wrap up and make its final move. Probably a soaking rain here - maybe ending as a some snow. Verbatim that is.....

Probably a solid 4-6" advisory event for here as it looks now, ratios wont be too high since the air will be right around freezing, probably right around the standard 10:1

It's going to be close though, if the frontal boundary takes a bit longer then expected we'll see more rain and much less snow if it moves a bit faster then maybe well see a little more 5-8" Very early , but its definitly beginning to catch my eye. I'm now intrested in the 12z GFS.

hopefully over the next 24 hours, we see that second storm become more of a factor.

right now, the models are halfway back to that crazy solution they had when this all started. they just dont dig the trough far enough south to give it enough time to develop properly, as those earlier runs. now its kinda in between, but a lot better than what they were showing yesterday afternoon. the op Euro is stil flopping around at h5, so nothing is in stone yet.

Probably a solid 4-6" advisory event for here as it looks now, ratios wont be too high since the air will be right around freezing, probably right around the standard 10:1

It's going to be close though, if the frontal boundary takes a bit longer then expected we'll see more rain and much less snow if it moves a bit faster then maybe well see a little more 5-8" Very early , but its definitly beginning to catch my eye. I'm now intrested in the 12z GFS.

why not?

all the latest models are trending towards the GFS, which has been the most consistent.

check out the NAM from 00z and compared to 12z today, its laughable how much the whole evolution and setup has changed towards the GFS.

the euro is floppinig around like a fish out of water too.

why not?

all the latest models are trending towards the GFS, which has been the most consistent.

check out the NAM from 00z and compared to 12z today, its laughable how much the whole evolution and setup has changed towards the GFS.

the euro is floppinig around like a fish out of water too.

Sorry, meant to say now. Not not. lol .

I'm very intrested in the GFS , because like you said it has been the most consistent for this storm thus far , and the other models are trending towards it , including the 12z NAM. GFS is lookin sharp :thumbsup:

Basically looks like a ~6 hour (Give or take, probably longer north of ALY) window of opportunity for accumulating snow within a trailing deformation zone that strengthens as it sweeps across Upstate Sunday Afternoon-Night. 12z run centers the heaviest amounts from C NY eastward and there could be some +SN rates in there if the GFS is correct.

The GFS taken verbatim is heavy cold rain here as the low moves toward Long Island and then maybe an inch or two of snow as it shuts off very fast behind the system. It is more of a wave along a slowly eastward progressing front than anything.

We can hope that the thump of precip. would flip us to snow a few hours sooner which could add several inches of wet snow...but taken literally the model drops the bulk of it as cold rain.

Whatever happens will be a nice novelty, but this whole system is going to do a lot more damage than good to the existing snow pack. So I'm gonna get a few snow shoe excursions in between now and Saturday afternoon - knowing it may be curtains then.

Basically looks like a ~6 hour (Give or take, probably longer north of ALY) window of opportunity for accumulating snow within a trailing deformation zone that strengthens as it sweeps across Upstate Sunday Afternoon-Night. 12z run centers the heaviest amounts from C NY eastward and there could be some +SN rates in there if the GFS is correct.

The GFS taken verbatim is heavy cold rain here as the low moves toward Long Island and then maybe an inch or two of snow as it shuts off very fast behind the system. It is more of a wave along a slowly eastward progressing front than anything.

We can hope that the thump of precip. would flip us to snow a few hours sooner which could add several inches of wet snow...but taken literally the model drops the bulk of it as cold rain.

Whatever happens will be a nice novelty, but this whole system is going to do a lot more damage than good to the existing snow pack. So I'm gonna get a few snow shoe excursions in between now and Saturday afternoon - knowing it may be curtains then.

Yeah, just looked at the SV regional / zoomed-in maps in 3-hour increments and compared the QPF against the location of Critical Thickness / Surface 32°F / 850mb 0°C lines etc.

I'd say just about everyone outside of the CD gets .25-.50 QPF... perhaps as much as .75 in the Dacks / Upper HV... that falls as snow. The CD itself and points S & E are the last ones to change over, and looks like .1-.25 QPF as snow. But still a ways to go to hammer this one out, very fickle setup.

Taking a blend of the 12z NAM and GFS it looks like about 1 to 2 inches of rain, then the cold front moves through , and we get into a bit of a weak deformation zone of snow dropping about 2-3 inches in the Western counties and about 3-5 in the central counties. I'll put out my thoughts in a map in a couple minutes.

Looks like some backend snow possibilities across the region, but not as robust as the GFS.

Anyway, have a look at H156 thru 180 on the GEM. I'm trying to think back as to when I last saw a similar evolution, but can't quite seem to put my finger on it....

lol yeah ive been notcing that too

but i havent seen any model try to develop any seoncdaries yet,, so far everything has been a single main storm NW of us so just rain it would seem.....for now

By everyone are you also referring to those of us up here in Canuckistan? or just those in NYS etc.?

I'm still hoping for a mainly snow event here in Ottawa?

verbatim

for ottawa, it would be a little snow turning to frzra (maybe a fair bit) to heavy rain to some backside snow (light accum)

right now, all the models seem to indicate that rain will enter the equation at some point......how much will be the frozen variety will be the big question!...and how much, since less rain will mean more snow.

this is one of those times where the temperature tomorrow and tomorrow night will be the key to the entire process. if it goes above 0, it can end up getting difficult to scour out that +1C type air for many hours.

Blah, 12z Euro continues to be a buzzkill like the GEM. Drives a primary into Quebec, no real secondary development like the GFS thru H84. Just a nice rainstorm with perhaps a spritz of wintry mix at the start over N NY / Upper E NY.

Alright I spoke too soon. Slow moving 2ndary LP tracks from E VA n-ne just south of LI / CC and into the GOM. The ALY cwa from the CD south and east thru interior New England is smothered in concrete H90-120. QPF is 1.00+ and snow.

Archived