• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 4-8 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

Potentially dangerous setup on the 0z NAM for the Wrn 1/2 of C NY into N NY. Significant QPF with temp's +0°C at 850mb but <32°F at the surface. It's either a good bit of FzRa or PL, or both. Waiting on soundings, particularly for areas like ELM and SYR...

post-538-0-20981900-1299207949.gif

post-538-0-00048400-1299207962.gif

post-538-0-69654600-1299207972.gif

post-538-0-83128000-1299207980.gif

The NAM also slows this thing to a crawl.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just ran my 05Z SmartModel output and focusing in on the Upstate NY areas, I am seeing several 6-8" snowfall accumulations on the 6 March time frame, with Binghampton with the highest forecasted amount of 8.8". Also showing areas in the South Bend and Cleveland areas with a potenial for Freezing precip. Any thoughts. Detailed city data has been uploaded.

0z Euro looks like 0z GEM based on a preliminary look, though the Euro tracks the secondary a bit further east.

Everyone flips to snow with the 2ndary... starting out west by Sunday Morning / H60... and lastly in the CD by early Monday Morning / H84. Atleast moderate accumulations just about everywhere, though definately more in certain local's west of the Hudson. Still analyzing...

.LONG TERM /SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY/...

SUN NITE-MON...MODEL INCONSISTENCY AND LOW FORECAST CONFIDENCE

CONTINUES. BASED ON THE LATEST MODEL GUIDANCE...THE RANGE OF

POSSIBLE FORECAST OPTIONS IS:

OPTION ONE: RAIN CHANGES TO SNOW SUNDAY NIGHT AND CONTINUES INTO

MONDAY MORNING...THEN TAPERS OFF TO SNOW/RAIN SHOWERS MONDAY

AFTERNOON (00Z ECMWF AND 00Z NAM). SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE

WITH THIS OPTION.

OPTION TWO: FRONTAL BOUNDARY AND SURFACE WAVE MOVE RAPIDLY EAST

ACROSS THE REGION SUNDAY NIGHT...WITH PCPN ENDING QUICKLY SUNDAY

NIGHT...LEADING TO A MOSTLY SUNNY BUT COLD DAY ON MONDAY (00Z GFS).

OPTION THREE: FRONTAL BOUNDARY STALLS OVER THE REGION SUNDAY

NIGHT...THEN A WAVE FORMS ALONG IT OVER THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS

WHICH MOVES NORTH-NORTHEAST...KEEPING MILD AIR OVER THE

REGION...WITH HEAVY RAIN AND POSSIBLE FLOODING CONTINUING THROUGH

MONDAY (06Z NAM).

HAVE CHOSEN TO FORECAST USING OPTION ONE...SINCE THIS SOLUTION IS

THE MOST IN LINE WITH PREVIOUS MODEL GUIDANCE AND PREVIOUS ALY

FORECASTS.

OPTION ONE MAY ACTUALLY PROLONG PCPN INTO MONDAY NIGHT...BUT AT THIS

POINT HAVE FORECAST DRY WEATHER BEGINING MONDAY NIGHT AS HIGH

PRESSURE CENTERED OVER EAST-CENTRAL CANADA RIDGES SOUTHWARD INTO THE

ALY FORECAST AREA. THE DRY WEATHER RESULTING FROM THIS HIGH WILL

CONTINUE THROUGH MOST OF WEDNESDAY.

Does anybody really know what time it is?? LOL this thing is a met's nightmare......and it is going to be miserable to be working in. I may have to goto the firehouse to get the portable pumps back into service.I probably should just in case but then again.....I did uncover my motorcycle in the garage yesterday and started prepping it from storage..........

Wow 06z NAM crushes western new york. Easy 1-2 feet

that track shown on nam reminds me of that mid december storm track that was shown on one 18z gfs run which annihilated wny with blizzard like conditions with 3ft+,jus sayin :whistle:

The GFS and NAM are on TOTALLY different sides here.. 6z NAM was just an absolute outrage, and there is no way buffalo is seeing 2 feet of snow.. IF, and if a secondary forms in the APPS, i could see a 6-8" max occuring up here, kind of like the 12z NAM is showing. GFS shows nada for Western NY, and actually brings snow to Albany and points northeast due to a COASTAL LOW

GFS -- rainstorm -> secondary low forms off the coastline and tracks along the coast. I-95 Rainstorm, CD and North Country Snowstorm

NAM- rainstorm passes-> secondary low forms on a slow moving front in the apps and tracks N/NE, absolutely crushing rochester and points west.

it's looking like Ottawa could be in for an ice storm ,although the precip seems to taper off a bit Sunday evening before intensifying again late Sunday night and Monday. Should be a fun Monday morning commute for many. :arrowhead:

ALA NAM, Ottawa gets crushed with snow

Evidence would suggest (IMO) that the GFS is trending west and the snowstorm ends up being west of the CD..odds on SYR to YUL......

0Z Euro was more west, 12Z RGEM looks more like the NAM than the GFS. Some compromise between the NAM and GFS maybe.

The GFS and NAM are on TOTALLY different sides here.. 6z NAM was just an absolute outrage, and there is no way buffalo is seeing 2 feet of snow.. IF, and if a secondary forms in the APPS, i could see a 6-8" max occuring up here, kind of like the 12z NAM is showing. GFS shows nada for Western NY, and actually brings snow to Albany and points northeast due to a COASTAL LOW

GFS -- rainstorm -> secondary low forms off the coastline and tracks along the coast. I-95 Rainstorm, CD and North Country Snowstorm

NAM- rainstorm passes-> secondary low forms on a slow moving front in the apps and tracks N/NE, absolutely crushing rochester and points west.

Evidence would suggest (IMO) that the GFS is trending west and the snowstorm ends up being west of the CD..odds on SYR to YUL......

0Z Euro was more west, 12Z RGEM looks more like the NAM than the GFS. Some compromise between the NAM and GFS maybe.

i feel like climo would suggest otherwise, and would more resemble the GFS solution.

the NAM is suggesting a pretty anomalous setup, which is close to what the models were depicting earlier in the week, which seemed outrageous at the time.

but the latest RGEM at 48 does support the NAM, but note the NAM has backed off its peak run (at h5) of last nights 00z, the past 2 runs. it could be in the process of de-amplifying its trough and forming a compromise with the euro.

the GFS had that blip run last night where it lost the second storm, but its struggling with the 2nd storm phase/timing now.

not sure what to make of all this to be honest.

will have to await to see what the euro/GGEM/ukie do.

Archived