Toothache
March 4-8 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

HPC...

PROBABILISTIC HEAVY SNOW AND ICING DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

354 AM EST FRI MAR 04 2011

VALID 12Z FRI MAR 04 2011 - 12Z MON MAR 07 2011

DAY 1-3...

...GREAT LAKES REGION TO THE NORTHEAST/MID ATL...

UNFORTUNATELY MODEL AGREEMENT DISSIPATES ON DAY 3...WITH SIGNIFICANT SPREAD SHOWN BY THE MODELS AS THE UPR TROF MOVES INTO THE ERN U.S. NAM/ECMWF SHOW TWO DISTINCT STREAMS WITH A WELL-DEFINED NEG TILTED SRN STREAM TROF MOVING INTO THE MID ATL MON MORNING. THIS HAS THE POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOWS ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE NORTHEAST INTO THE NRN MID ATL/CNTRL APPALACHIANS AS THE STRONG SELY FLOW AHEAD OF THIS SYSTEM THROWS PLENTY OF MOISTURE BACK INTO THE COLD AIR. THE NAM WITH A SLOWER/DEEPER SOLN KEEPS THE COLDER AIR FURTHER TO THE W...RESULTING IN A NARROW HVY SNOW AXIS FROM THE LWR GREAT LAKES NEWD...WHILE THE ECMWF WHICH IS FASTER/LESS AMPLIFIED ALLOWS THE COLD AIR TO PUSH FURTHER TO E AND THE HVY SNOWS TO DEVELOP FURTHER OUT INTO THE NORTHEAST/NRN MID ATL. THE GFS SHOWS A MORE DOMINANT NRN STREAM WHICH DIMINISHES THE AMPLITUDE OF THE SRN STREAM AND PUSHES IT MORE QUICKLY THRU THE EAST...RESULTING IN LIGHTER AMTS.

IN ADDITION TO THE SPREAD...MODEL RUN-TO-RUN INCONSISTENCY HAS OFFERED FURTHER UNCERTAINTY TO THE FORECAST. THEREFORE IT WAS HPC/S DECISION TO FOLLOW AN ENS APPROACH UNTIL THE MODELS COME INTO BETTER AGREEMENT.

PEREIRA

post-538-0-94486200-1299258258.gif

post-538-0-39085300-1299258266.gif

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry haven't had a chance to take a look at the models. Is there any consensus with this storm yet? Is it NAM/GFS vs Euro/RGEM/CMC? Or just every model doing there own thing? Also what are the ensembles showing?

Yeah, pretty much every model is playing it's own game out there. It's like watching an NBA All-star game, except these models ain't no all-stars...............................................

The Euro will be out soon and swing west I'm afraid.....hope I'm wrong for my sake. But I still think SYR to YUL could be it ..... My bet is that the GGEM and NAM are off to the far side and will correct east also. Now we'll see what really happens. :)

The 12z ECM has initialized...

Someone's life may be about to change lol...

Thanks for the great play by play. :thumbsup:

So the Euro has not gone all the way to the NAM (Dark) side. ;) hmmmmm

I like my spot 25 miles west of ALB on the Euro. I wish it were Dr. NO like old...but we still can't take anything to the bank.

LP near CC by H78. Just some light snow over the HV, ending thereafter.

Let me do a quick review, see if can toss out some more in-depth analysis. Maybe OL will chime in here to since he has the same access I do.

Archived