Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
March 4-8 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well the GFS defintely trended towards the NAM with the phase but much less deep with the trough than the NAM.

will need to watch it, as thats a couple runs in a row where the GFS has moved that direction.

dont see much reason to change my earlier forecast right now. will check back in AM to see the situation.

about time nam gets it right :gun_bandana:

well the GFS defintely trended towards the NAM with the phase but much less deep with the trough than the NAM.

will need to watch it, as thats a couple runs in a row where the GFS has moved that direction.

dont see much reason to change my earlier forecast right now. will check back in AM to see the situation.

about time nam gets it right :gun_bandana:

The 0z GFS at the surface looks comparable to the 12z ECM still. Vastly different than the NAM in this regard...

Rochesters Cobb output for the Nam. 20 inches. Now lets watch it back track to 4. LOL. BTW: That snow bomb also hit the northern suburbs of Rochester last Feb. It was awesome, easily 18 inches at my house on south shore of Lake Ontario. Very heavy wind driven snow. Snow above my knees. They wanted 50 bucks to plow my driveway (very, very small) but were too busy to come out anyway. see link for this storms output:

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=nam&site=kroc

GFS is over NYC as far as I can see. It didn't move much from 18Z ..maybe 25 miles, in terms of the surface low. With event #2 it is a very narrow strip that could get a heavy wet snow bomb on the GFS...right about over me and points a little northwest. The event is mainly a rain event with that narrow area of +SN. So whoever gets into that good snow consider themselves lucky.

no blocking with a SE ridge in tact.. HOW IS THIS THING OFFSHORE PER GFS.. makes 0 sense. theres no negative tilt along the coast. I take NAM track with GFS speed. i dont buy that the NAM is this far off 5 consisent runs

I remember a storm exactly like this one that hit the western Apps. in 1999 I think. It started as a big warm rain event and then the front moved thru and stalled from Albany to Scranton to Philly. A strong (much stronger than anticipated) low pressure moved right up the spine of the Apps and left about 1-2 feet of snow about 100- 150 miles west of it's track. Rochester got 23 inches of snow in about 12 hrs. with some help from L. Ontario. Blizzard warnings were issued for maybe the 2nd time in my life. The first was THE STORM (duh, 1993). 0 visibility. Awesome. Then we had like 19 inches 3 days later. 42 inches on the ground. My hometown made it on CNN!! I was in heaven. If only Anderson Cooper was there. LOL>:whistle:

It looks like this is going to be an amazing storm regardless. 2" of rain followed by 4" + of snow. Not very often that happens.

And the wild card in this is that many times in these scenarios, I recall the front being undermodeled with it's strength and eastward push.....these ana fronts are weird buggers.....

Ottawa sees a lot of snow on the Euro! ;) Most of Upstate NY does nicely, with an eyeball estimate that the W. MV/into the D'acks get the bullseye prize...Verbaitum, just about all of Upstate gets (eyeballing again, and applying 9:1 ratios) anywhere from 4-10" as a general take, with more in the hills of the D'acks and E. FL's....

Ottawa sees a lot of snow on the Euro! ;) Most of Upstate NY does nicely, with an eyeball estimate that the W. MV/into the D'acks get the bullseye prize...Verbaitum, just about all of Upstate gets (eyeballing again, and applying 9:1 ratios) anywhere from 4-10" as a general take, with more in the hills of the D'acks and E. FL's....

Yeah, this is pretty much right. Looks like a high-end advisory / low-end warning snowfall for most everyone, except maybe the CD itself, but the hills n / w of ALY are plastered pretty efficiently. Overall, I'd call the 0z Euro an equal opportunity mauler...

That's the way it goes here often.... barely elevated and west of ALB enough for wet snow...but we won't know for sure until it's almost here.....

Where does the actual surface low track on the Euro?

Yeah, this is pretty much right. Looks like a high-end advisory / low-end warning snowfall for most everyone, except maybe the CD itself, but the hills n / w of ALY are plastered pretty efficiently. Overall, I'd call the 0z Euro an equal opportunity mauler...

Archived