EVENT IN THE HWO AT THIS TIME. DO EXPECT THAT TEMPERATURES OVER THE

WEEKEND WILL AVERAGE ABOVE NORMAL AND FOR NOW HAVE HIGHS IN THE

UPPER 30S TO UPPER 40S ON SATURDAY...LOWS SATURDAY NIGHT IN THE

30S...AND HIGHS ON SUNDAY IN THE MID 30S NORTHWEST TO UPPER 40S

SOUTHEAST.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Preliminary thoughts: Wet for most of us..ana-frontal passage On Sunday X NYS best rainfall behind front may mix end as snow for CNY/WNY...cold rain to snow on Monday perhaps for ENY north of NYC, though 06z GEFS ensembles tend to say not for ENY (i.e.) just the anafrontal passage, too.

Eeek, 12z ECM has some raunchy QPF totals across the region thru early next week. I'd say about 90-95% of it falls as rain with some backend snow possibilities (1-5" for Upstate verbatim).

Draw a line from the Southern Catskills to the CD, and everybody along and west is in the 1.50-4.00 range (Increasing SE to NW), with highest amounts across the Dacks / N NY where its 4.00-6.00.

man the euro is insane!

about 50-75 miles from crippling ottawa. i may have to make a trip a bit westward for this one.

as it stands, id say the upper ottawa valley-north of ottawa by 50-75 miles through tremblant and the qc ski areas......anywhere from 2-5 feet of heavy wet snow :lol:

4-6 inches of liquid equivalent in eastern ontario :arrowhead:

even in this setup, ottawa would probably get about 6-12 inches of snow on the backside, after most of the storm is over :lmao: ice and heavy rain would also be an issue of course.

of course we are days out, but its good to see the euro hangin on to a very interesting setup as the GFS is a snoozer.

man the euro is insane!

about 50-75 miles from crippling ottawa. i may have to make a trip a bit westward for this one.

as it stands, id say the upper ottawa valley-north of ottawa by 50-75 miles through tremblant and the qc ski areas......anywhere from 2-5 feet of heavy wet snow :lol:

4-6 inches of liquid equivalent in eastern ontario :arrowhead:

even in this setup, ottawa would probably get about 6-12 inches of snow on the backside, after most of the storm is over :lmao: ice and heavy rain would also be an issue of course.

of course we are days out, but its good to see the euro hangin on to a very interesting setup as the GFS is a snoozer.

For Ottawa: 2.33" of rain, then 1.27" of ice, then 0.49" of snow.

Holy $@#!% yikes.pngsad.gif

If only it could be all snow...I'll never complain about any winter ever again. Never. Ever.

For Ottawa: 2.33" of rain, then 1.27" of ice, then 0.49" of snow.

Holy $@#!% yikes.pngsad.gif

If only it could be all snow...I'll never complain about any winter ever again. Never. Ever.

WOW! :o

i only have the free maps with a little boost, but i kinda got the vibe that it was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to crippling ottawa. MOS data confirms that. about 50-75 miles more S and E and i'd venture to say its all ice and snow with more snow

i only have the free maps with a little boost, but i kinda got the vibe that it was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to crippling ottawa. MOS data confirms that. about 50-75 miles more S and E and i'd venture to say its all ice and snow.

I hope so....otherwise I'll have to invest in an icebreaker. And bye bye snow...even now that big ball of fire is mercilessly annihilating billions of fresh new snowflakes. Add to that what the Euro is showing....lightning.gif

The GEFS shows a colder scenario...I don't know what it make of that though.

i only have the free maps with a little boost, but i kinda got the vibe that it was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to crippling ottawa. MOS data confirms that. about 50-75 miles more S and E and i'd venture to say its all ice and snow with more snow

Back in december, my best friend and his wife invited me to join them in Jamaica for a week of fun in the sun. I came very close to joining them, but opted out. What does this have to do with the coming storm? My friends are leaving (so they think) Saturday march 5th. This storm will be historic, IF not biblical for Ottawa only because I came ever so close of being away, stuck in a hot, humid island while MBY got buried. Deja vu? I think not! Long live the SE trend!

Back in december, my best friend and his wife invited me to join them in Jamaica for a week of fun in the sun. I came very close to joining them, but opted out. What does this have to do with the coming storm? My friends are leaving (so they think) Saturday march 5th. This storm will be historic, IF not biblical for Ottawa only because I came ever so close of being away, stuck in a hot, humid island while MBY got buried. Deja vu? I think not! Long live the SE trend!

yeah you've learned the hard way.:lol:

march is the one month i never go anywhere before the 21st.

too much craziness can happen.

not sure whats going to happen but it is close and i like your optimism!

lets hope we arent building a boat in a few days.

Eeek, 12z ECM has some raunchy QPF totals across the region thru early next week. I'd say about 90-95% of it falls as rain with some backend snow possibilities (1-5" for Upstate verbatim).

Draw a line from the Southern Catskills to the CD, and everybody along and west is in the 1.50-4.00 range (Increasing SE to NW), with highest amounts across the Dacks / N NY where its 4.00-6.00.

that would be horrible for the dacks, water equiv in the snow is 4-6 inches I would say and thats conservative.

this could go well NW but, well it could still trend S and E to get more frozen precip into NYS still at this range, further west you are the better.

the key piece of energy comes ashore in about 48 hours and the key amplifcaition process is in 60-72 hrs. this process sets the heights and resultant placement of the baroclinc zone in the midwest and lakes. this really ends up determining where the precip sets up and who is on the cold side.

right now, the models are surprisingly (to me) vigorous with this rather weak piece of energy inducing amplificaiton and raising heights in our area, which results in much of the region being warm sectored, with ottawa on the edge.

but you can see, this is a long list process and there is ample time to still change things. small changes in the initial energy can lead to large effects in time. its a very complex setup, as evidenced by the copious qpf. hopefully we dont all get flooded with rain.

but you can see, this is a long list process and there is ample time to still change things. small changes in the initial energy can lead to large effects in time. its a very complex setup, as evidenced by the copious qpf. hopefully we dont all get flooded with rain.

We got lucky with yesterday's storm, and got a lot of heavy wet snow instead of the rain that was forcasted.. Can we luck out 2 systems in a row? I hope so, even though it's not looking good right now, but things can always change.. Otherwise, we can say asta la vista to our snowpack!

Cheers,

Scratch

Archived