Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
March 4-8 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down to 32F and snow at 8am. I'm absolutely shocked how little snow we lost. I don't have a snow stick, but have several areas in the yard that I watch and we lost ~2" last night and maybe 2" yesterday. After 2 significant warm-ups in recent weeks I would have thought the snowpack was completely saturated, but maybe not.

In my untrained opinion, probably earlier.

Yeah, it looks to be on a line from east of Lk Placid to east of Utica to just east of BGM. It's actually progressing pretty good. I think the forecast of a flip to all snow after 1am tomorrow here is going to bust and the 5-9" will need to be bumped up in the evening forecasts. My snowpack is hanging in pretty well (calf high) now that it's compacting. The dreaded snow fog has just appeared for the first time.

nice!

as per OB's tip, i went over to the accuweather forum and everyone in and around toronto and back through SW ontario is raving about how impressive the changeover is.

hard to disagree. it was worth coming to ottawa for this for me, as i likely would have slept through it in montreal tomorrow morning.

looks as though ill have to head back in the afternoon tomorrow as roads will be terrible in the AM, doesnt help that env canada called for an inch of snow overnight.:lol:

honestly, this is the worst forecast performance ive ever seen from them.....and i was watching the news, there were tons of accidents including fatalities up here today.:thumbsdown:

No kidding. I am really dissapointed with their performace.

Well, we might not have got the 18-20" the NAM was hinting at, but I'm really happy nonetheless. We got a lot of snow overnight and it looks great and picturesque outside. What an incredible event from a meteorological standpoint. Not often you get 30mm (over an inch!) of rain followed by heavy snow. Great storm! :thumbsup:

I havent looked at euro as its 24 hr time steps available to public make it useless but would be interested to know if its hedged toward NAM or GFS.

A 0z Euro p-b-p was posted last night. It gave just about all of C NY (Hornell to SYR and points E) & E NY... including the immediate CD... 1.00-1.25" QPF worth of snow, with locally more across parts of the southeast Dacks / Lake George / Saratoga region...

No kidding. I am really dissapointed with their performace.

Well, we might not have got the 18-20" the NAM was hinting at, but I'm really happy nonetheless. We got a lot of snow overnight and it looks great and picturesque outside. What an incredible event from a meteorological standpoint. Not often you get 30mm (over an inch!) of rain followed by heavy snow. Great storm! :thumbsup:

strongly agree. i was up last night and it was simply outstanding the storm, huge flakes and strong winds.

id say we picked up 6 or 7 inches here in that short time, and we have new drifts on the deck to 2 feet! havent gotten out to survey the neighborhood but i see people shoveling out.

i'm sure people all over the region are wondering what the heck happened this weekend.

i think i made the right decision to come to ottawa, as the heaviest snows from the second storm look to be S and E (just barely) of montreal. therefore i dont think it could have matched the intensity with which it snowed here last night after the changeover. defintely a great storm. gonna head back this afternoon, and hope for the best with the second storm, it will be close.

good luck to our friends in CNY and ENY :snowman:

I picked up 2.61" of RA. The Change over to SN started 40 min ago. Right now it's light to moderate snowfall; that is starting to stick. The models still don't know what tthis is going to do. But The GFS looks to be the closer to what is happening. I'm gooing to say 10-14 for the TUG with 12-16 for the Adrondacks. 6-10 for the MV and 4-8 for the CD

The front just pushed through overhead here. We had a thick snow fog here up until just now. Within 5 minutes, the temperature dropped from 46 to 41, and the fog instantly disappeared.

CF sitting over my head...........dead calm with snow fog on the attack

I wonder why it took you so long to go to snow. LEK said he was going to snow in SYR at 8 AM.

Terrible amount of rain. Around here I doubt we have had .25" and it's looking like the flip to snow will occur and a good % then falls frozen.

I picked up 2.61" of RA. The Change over to SN started 40 min ago. Right now it's light to moderate snowfall; that is starting to stick. The models still don't know what tthis is going to do. But The GFS looks to be the closer to what is happening. I'm gooing to say 10-14 for the TUG with 12-16 for the Adrondacks. 6-10 for the MV and 4-8 for the CD

Light snow is falling, and the temp is around 28 F.. It's been snowing for several hours now.. Life is good again.. :-)

Cheers,

Scratch

it looks like the changeover happeend right around 8AM, pretty much right on schedule :snowman:

i see we have a WSW up.

i'll be there later, hopefully we can squeeze some heavier snow out of the coastal low later, its going to be tight.

just checked trafffic cams and the roads look very wet.....hopefully that is not hindering accums, but i imagine being waterlogged is having an effect, especially downtown.

the gradient is crazy for the total snowfall going by qpf.......4 inches / 10cm N of the island to 8-10 inches /20-25cm S of the island ....and up to 18 inches locally along the VT border and a foot towards the NY border.

obviously small ticks in the track could have big effects.

Ha, was flipping channels and just happened to catch that Mike Seidel is set up in Syracuse doing live reports.

12z GFS is still furthest east. The Euro took the LP right over PHL & NYC while the NAM / GFS run thru C NJ and then slightly offshore and just south of LI.

Looks like the infamous last minute shift to the S & E is making another appearance...

Archived