• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 24-25 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

CNYWxGuy

I will be shocked if this winds up an all SN event in GFL as the NWS depicts. This IMO this is not a good setup to have the cold aloft to hang in enough to prevent at least mixing. You actually have 2 surges of warmth aloft.....1 with todays weak clipper passing to the north and then ahead of the main storm tomorrow. Must be hanging their hat on dynamic cooling I guess

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be shocked if this winds up an all SN event in GFL as the NWS depicts. This IMO this is not a good setup to have the cold aloft to hang in enough to prevent at least mixing. You actually have 2 surges of warmth aloft.....1 with todays weak clipper passing to the north and then ahead of the main storm tomorrow. Must be hanging their hat on dynamic cooling I guess

Yes you're right Jeff but again there will be some strong UVM's too which COULD wipe out any warm layers.

I feel like I'm preaching to the choir but:

Other "issues" lower than anticipated Snow ratios and I still say QPF from EC and NAM is too high by and needs to be cut at least 30% maybe even 50% WINDS aloft are SW and stacked, too. HELLO, shades of the Midwest Blizzard a few weeks ago that was a flizzard here.

If you have any elevation you may be favored if you don't you won't.

I won't come out with a snowfall call until noon today. Too early to come out with any precise numbers and some ofthe numbers that I am seeing out there are NUTS!

with this type of setup, how important will elevation be?

several of us are in the "southern hills" south of the

thruway where we can be 14-1800 ft in elev.

if we were to be marginal for some mixing, will the

elevation help or hinder snow totals?

I see certain conditions where we warm up quicker

than valleys, but others where we stay colder and

get more snow (but not much this year)

EC calling for 4-6" in Ottawa, Toronto, 6" in Montreal. Winter storm warning out for Montreal. :thumbsup:

lol they will likely have some pie on their face.....although i guess they still have time to adjust.

this is more of the same, storm will pass S and E (even though it shouldnt have :angry: )

at this time

i'd go with 1-2 in ottawa, maybe 2-4 if you are lucky and it shifts a bit......around 1 or less if you are unlucky. :whistle:

i think they put out a WSW in montreal because they have been burned twice on events this season. we could get 3-6 if we are lucky, but right now itd go 2-4 until all guidance comes out this afternoon and see how the storm is setting up in the MW.

again, there is nothing to stop the storm from shifting a bit N and W, so we will have to keep an eye on its as it gets going today in the MW.....as we have seen these type of situations in the past.....although i'm not feeling it with this one as much.

highest amounts along the border regions same ole same old ho hum.

lol they will likely have some pie on their face.....although i guess they still have time to adjust.

this is more of the same, storm will pass S and E (even though it shouldnt have :angry: )

at this time

i'd go with 1-2 in ottawa, maybe 2-4 if you are lucky and it shifts a bit......around 1 or less if you are unlucky. :whistle:

i think they put out a WSW in montreal because they have been burned twice on events this season. we could get 3-6 if we are lucky, but right now itd go 2-4 until all guidance comes out this afternoon and see how the storm is setting up in the MW.

again, there is nothing to stop the storm from shifting a bit N and W, so we will have to keep an eye on its as it gets going today in the MW.....as we have seen these type of situations in the past.....although i'm not feeling it with this one as much.

highest amounts along the border regions same ole same old ho hum.

To me it seems getting snow out of this one will be purely academic...if the Euro is to be believed (and from what the other models are also hinting at), there is a deluge on the way.

I am not a superstitious man, but these past 2.5 years, as you pointed out.....hell, I may just start to believe...

Things were simpler when I didn't look at models....what had to happen happened...but now....even though that is still the case...good lord the pain!!!

To me it seems getting snow out of this one will be purely academic...if the Euro is to be believed (and from what the other models are also hinting at), there is a deluge on the way.

I am not a superstitious man, but these past 2.5 years, as you pointed out.....hell, I may just start to believe...

Things were simpler when I didn't look at models....what had to happen happened...but now....even though that is still the case...good lord the pain!!!

strongly strongly agree with your sentiment Draxinar.

good luck to those further south where it will be a bigger deal.

but up here, i could hardly be bothered with a few inches of snow knowing that a flooding deluge is on the way (most likely).

rather pointless for my personal taste since i am into snowdepths, which is well lost cause.

and yes, would love to take this winter out back....

Archived