Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 24-25 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

CNYWxGuy

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No dryslot here...

Not too sure about sleet either. Profiles look quite isothermal (I haven't checked 18z data/ones yet). Ptype will be intensity driven. Also Snow to H20 ratios probably 10 to 1 even 8:1 perhaps.

Agree Andy... I only have a thin sliver of sleet in my forecast. And mostly rain too! :(

18z gfs and nam shifted significantly toward the euro solution... my confidence is growing. I'll post more detailed potential accums later tonight. I would like to see another round of the nam and gfs first. I did in the meantime continue with T-3" on the front end of this thing and 1-3" on the backside... noting that probably the hills see the higher accums.

Question for the experts here.

I'm a LongIslander now in Liberty NY 10 miles northwest of Monticello.

Any chance of a few inches here from tomm into Friday?

Thanks!

I have you pegged for up to an inch Thurs. evening if that... then mostly rain until the changeover Friday when you may pick up an inch maybe 2 if you're lucky.

In the spirit of tax season let's break down SYR's total from NAM, which should be quite similar (with a few variances) up and down the thruway:

At first glance SYR does great....1.00+ qpf....pretty much all snow on the profiles.....now for the deductions:

-35% of total...(standard NAM deduction)

-10% for a bit of mixing because there will inevitabily be SOME warm layer making it up this way and of course sun angle this time of year.

-20% for potential down sloping/shadowing.

- 20% for unexpected dry slot after the down sloping

-10% because SYR can't have a synoptic snowfall above 3" more than once in a season....

so that leaves about 5% of the total qpf which equates to around .05...and at a sloppy 8:1 ratio, look for SYR and similar Thruway locales to dig out from a solid .4-.8" of slop.

Enjoy everyone! Should be fun! :arrowhead::devilsmiley:

j/k........mostly.......I think...............

In the spirit of tax season let's break down SYR's total from NAM, which should be quite similar (with a few variances) up and down the thruway:

At first glance SYR does great....1.00+ qpf....pretty much all snow on the profiles.....now for the deductions:

-10% for a bit of mixing because there will inevitabily be SOME warm layer making it up this way and of course sun angle this time of year.

-10% because SYR can't have a synoptic snowfall above 3" more than once in a season....

so that leaves about 5% of the total qpf which equates to around .05...and at a sloppy 8:1 ratio, look for SYR and similar Thruway locales to dig out from a solid .4-.8" of slop.

lol

Lol, nice. Think I would change the word 'slop' to 'concrete' though.

Archived