• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 24-25 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

CNYWxGuy

In the spirit of tax season let's break down SYR's total from NAM, which should be quite similar (with a few variances) up and down the thruway:

At first glance SYR does great....1.00+ qpf....pretty much all snow on the profiles.....now for the deductions:

-35% of total...(standard NAM deduction)

-10% for a bit of mixing because there will inevitabily be SOME warm layer making it up this way and of course sun angle this time of year.

-20% for potential down sloping/shadowing.

- 20% for unexpected dry slot after the down sloping

-10% because SYR can't have a synoptic snowfall above 3" more than once in a season....

so that leaves about 5% of the total qpf which equates to around .05...and at a sloppy 8:1 ratio, look for SYR and similar Thruway locales to dig out from a solid .4-.8" of slop.

Enjoy everyone! Should be fun! :arrowhead::devilsmiley:

j/k........mostly.......I think...............

lmao

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z GFS looks a couple miles north, not much. Looks a bit warmer though. I have to say that the current WS Watch outline from BUF-BGM-ALY looks spot-on based on the 0z NAM and GFS. Could make a case that Steuben and Schuyler could be added in, but need to see the rest of the 0z runs first.

State College definately over-extended their watch package too far east / south.

0z GFS looks a couple miles north, not much. Looks a bit warmer though. I have to say that the current WS Watch outline from BUF-BGM-ALY looks spot-on based on the 0z NAM and GFS. Could make a case that Steuben and Schuyler could be added in, but need to see the rest of the 0z runs first.

State College definately over-extended their watch package too far east / south.

I would not be surprised to see Schuyler/Steuben, and even Tompkins/Cortland placed in the watch... it is a very close call though. This area seems to have the highest bust potential. I basically went about 4-9 inches in those areas with my 11pm weathercast.

hmm that map doesn't seem to agree with this one, odd.

Just had a closer look at both of them and I see where the discrepancy is. First, the image he posted is H39 and the e-wall image is H42.

The liquid / frozen line on the regional model uses the 540dm line as the changeover line, hence why it pushes the rain line further north. That algorithm might not be best representitive in this circumstance because it can snow with thicknesses >540 under the right conditions. I think in this instance, I would tend to favor the 850mb 0°C line over the 540 line as the demarcation between RA / SN...

Here's a comparison to illustrate the 540dm line as the mix line at Hour 42...

post-538-0-26735400-1298526402.gif

post-538-0-29233900-1298526416.png

Just had a closer look at both of them and I see where the discrepancy is. First, the image he posted is H39 and the e-wall image is H42.

The liquid / frozen line on the regional model uses the 540dm line as the changeover line, hence why it pushes the rain line further north.

Here's a good comparison to illustrate the 540dm line as the mix line at Hour 42...

thanks yeah it looked like the low placement was off too but i guess one is just more zoomed in.

The liquid / frozen line on the regional model uses the 540dm line as the changeover line, hence why it pushes the rain line further north.

Here's a good comparison to illustrate the 540dm line as the mix line at Hour 42...

that track would just crush Rochester and Buffalo. But I don't know. I've never seen a track like that with mix in the southern tier that doesn't immediately transfer or even before to the I-90 zone. Just sayin. Doesn't seem realistic.

thanks yeah it looked like the low placement was off too but i guess one is just more zoomed in.

Yea, the regional level is a more accurate depiction of the LP placement. E-wall 'L' placement can be misleading at times...

0z ECM is out thru H54. Just looking now, looks a little south of 12z... more to follow shortly.

Yea, the regional level is a more accurate depiction of the LP placement. E-wall 'L' placement can be misleading at times...

0z ECM is out thru H54. Just looking now, looks a little south of 12z... more to follow shortly.

yeah it looks very similar to the nam/gfs maybe we have a consensus forming.

that track would just crush Rochester and Buffalo. But I don't know. I've never seen a track like that with mix in the southern tier that doesn't immediately transfer or even before to the I-90 zone. Just sayin. Doesn't seem realistic.

don paul is going with 4-7" for both Buffalo and Rochester..:arrowhead:

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 7 PM EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM

WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 7 PM EST

FRIDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...WESTERN AND NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE MOHAWK

VALLEY...THE SOUTHERN ADIRONDACKS...AND THE LAKE GEORGE SARATOGA

REGION.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES...WITH UP TO 15 INCHES ACROSS THE

HIGHEST ELEVATIONS OF THE SOUTHERN ADIRONDACKS.

* TIMING...SNOW DEVELOPING LATE TONIGHT...AND CONTINUING THROUGH

FRIDAY BEFORE TAPERING OFF FRIDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS...VERY HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS DUE TO SNOW COVERED

ROADS AND POOR VISIBILITY. SNOWFALL RATES WILL LIKELY EXCEED ONE

INCH PER HOUR ON FRIDAY.

Archived