• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 24-25 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

CNYWxGuy

Even with 1 event about to get started, there is another well-advertised storm on the horizon for Thursday-Friday timeframe. Perhaps those missing out on the heavier snows Tonight / Monday will cash in with this next one even though it does appear to be a fast-mover and possibly warmer...

18z GFS...

post-538-0-30156200-1298242890.gif

12z ECM...

post-538-0-81579300-1298242849.gif

12z CMC...

post-538-0-36815200-1298242840.gif

18z DGEX...

post-538-0-25517600-1298242870.gif

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS is colder and suppresses the end of the week low south much more than the Euro.... The ECMWF just bring it to far north for my likening. I think this storm will be very similar to the current storm... I hope it doesn't run as far south as this one did....I would like to see 6"-8" Thursday and Friday; but I think that might be a pipedream at least looking at things right now. But we will see.....I will be thinking snow :whistle:

The GFS is colder and suppresses the end of the week low south much more than the Euro.... The ECMWF just bring it to far north for my likening. I think this storm will be very similar to the current storm... I hope it doesn't run as far south as this one did....I would like to see 6"-8" Thursday and Friday; but I think that might be a pipedream at least looking at things right now. But we will see.....I will be thinking snow :whistle:

this past storm was running into a PV of death.

im worried about rain, but of course slight timing differences will send it out S and E as a flat wave.

but if the energy is able to amplify, there is nothing to stop it from coming N and W other than a progessive, active jet. but feature wise, there is nothing.

this past storm was running into a PV of death.

im worried about rain, but of course slight timing differences will send it out S and E as a flat wave.

but if the energy is able to amplify, there is nothing to stop it from coming N and W other than a progessive, active jet. but feature wise, there is nothing.

The storm is going to ride along a stalled front. So the keys are where the front stops along with how fast the primary hands off to the secondary as to who sees what.

Well if I were a betting man.... I'd go with a mess here and good event from TG to you..... Contravailing signal ...the ECM this season just hasn't been the old Dr. No all the time.

I don't think you need to worry about rain up there with this event. It may ride inland over Upstate NY due to the southeast ridge etc....but I can't see it being a typical deep interior cutter.

I don't think it will track north of Albany or much south of NYC...that's my window of expectation.

yeah good point.

I went with a warmer soln for this one... following the euro. One thing to watch for is the timing of the upper system coming into/out of the southwest US... models have a tendency to eject them too quickly... If we see a slower ejection then we could get into a colder/more suppressed soln closer to the gfs. Stay tuned.

I went with a warmer soln for this one... following the euro. One thing to watch for is the timing of the upper system coming into/out of the southwest US... models have a tendency to eject them too quickly... If we see a slower ejection then we could get into a colder/more suppressed soln closer to the gfs. Stay tuned.

EC tends to have issues with systems coming out of the SW in that it tends to NOT eject them out fast enough.

EC ensemble mean is COLDER in the 72-96 hour period with 850 temps below 0C across upstate NY. LOW track looks to be a bit south too not quite like the GFS but close to it. UK and ECEN are actually similar.

Archived