Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 24-25 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

CNYWxGuy

BGM:

AS OF THIS TIME THERE DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE A WARM WEDGE ALOFT, HOPEFULLY PREVENTING SLEET AND/OR FREEZING RAIN WORKING INTO THE MIX.

ALY:

SNOW ACROSS THE AREA ON THURSDAY NIGHT...AND BEGIN TO

MIX WITH SLEET AND FZRA FOR SOUTHERN AREAS BY SUNRISE ON FRIDAY.

:arrowhead:

BGM has changed Friday's forecast around here from the U30's and RA / SN to 33°F and SN.

AFD update...

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

316 AM EST WED FEB 23 2011

SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT/...

...RMNDR OF THE SHORT TERM IS SHAPING UP TO BE A MESS. EXPECT PCPN WL BEGIN TO MAKE AN APPEARANCE FM WEST TO EAST AFT 18Z THURSDAY. THINK MOST OF THE PCPN WL HOLD OFF UNTIL CLOSER TO 21Z BUT HV SPED UP TIMING FOR COLLABORATION PURPOSES AND IF SOME LGT ECHOES CAN BREAK OUT AHD OF THE FRONTAL BNDRY.

PCPN EXPECTED TO INCRS IN CVRG AFT 00Z FRIDAY AS MS VLY LOW BEGINS TO MV NORTH AND EAST TWD THE REGION, RIDING ALONG STALLED OUT FRONTAL BNDRY. ULTIMATE TRACK OF WV WL DEPEND ON WHERE BAROCLINIC ZONE STALLS OUT. 00Z EC HAS NOT BUDGED AT ALL FM ITS PREVIOUS RUN AND RMNS FURTHEST NORTH WITH THE LOW TRACK. RMNG MODELS (INCLUDING ALL GFS ENSEMBLE MEMBERS) ARE CLUSTERED ALONG THE MASON-DIXON LINE. EVEN WITH THIS FURTHER SOUTH TRACK ALL GUIDANCE INDICATES A FAIRLY ISOTHERMAL BL THUR NGT INTO FRIDAY MRNG. THIS WUD RESULT IN A GNRL MIX OF RAIN/SNOW DEPENDING ON TEMP PROFILES IN THE LOWEST LAYERS. BASED ON FCST SFC TEMPS HV GONE WITH PLAIN RAIN INTO THE EVNG HRS ACRS THE FINGER LKS WITH CHC FOR RA/SN RMNDR OF CWA. SHUD SEE MORE OF A RAIN/SNOW MIX BY MIDNIGHT WITH NRLY FLOW FILTERING IN CLDR AIR AS THE NIGHT PROGRESSES.

BY DAYBREAK FRIDAY, EXPECT MAINLY SNOW FM THE NYPENN BORDER NORTH WITH RAIN AND SNOW FURTHER SOUTH. AS TEMPS WARM FRI MRNG, CUD SEE MORE RAIN MIXING IN WITH SNOW BFR CLDR AIR SEEPING IN FRI AFTN BRINGS A CHANGEOVER TO MOSTLY SNOW BFR PCPN COMES TO AN END. HV TRIED TO REFLECT THIS TIMING IN THE GRIDS THO FINER DETAILS RMN UP IN THE AIR. AS OF THIS TIME THERE DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE A WARM WEDGE ALOFT, HOPEFULLY PREVENTING SLEET AND/OR FREEZING RAIN WORKING INTO THE MIX.

STORM TOTAL SNOW FM 00Z FRI-00Z SAT LOOKS TO BE ALMOST ON PAR WITH HPC SNOW GRID OF 4-6 INCHES NORTH OF THE NY BORDER, AND 1-3 INCHES FURTHER SOUTH. NORTHWARD EXTENT OF PCPN IS STILL IN QUESTION AS GFS KEEPS A VRY TIGHT GRADIENT OF SNOW/NO SNOW NORTH OF THE SUSQUEHANNA REGION ON FRIDAY COURTESY OF NW FLOW AND DRIER AIR. THUS, HV GONE WITH JUST LKLY POPS FRI MRNG ACRS THE FAR NORTH WITH CATEGORICAL FURTHER TO THE SOUTH. HV ALSO INDICATED THIS GRADIENT BY SLIGHTLY LWR SNOW AMNTS.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my 2 cents... still sticking with the euro... the srefs, gfs, and nam have continued to trend closer to the euro... thus i'm thinking rain and warmer temps... if the euro begins to trend toward the gfs/nam camp on the 12z run then i'll do more of a compromise solution.

NAM qpf went from .5 inches to upwards of 2 inches for the southern tier. Seems very suspicious to me. It is deepening the storm system rapidly compared to other models. I am thinking .75 qpf across most of WNY most being snow, with some mixing occurring at state line. Who knows though, the models are allllll over the place.

NAM qpf went from .5 inches to upwards of 2 inches for the southern tier. Seems very suspicious to me. It is deepening the storm system rapidly compared to other models. I am thinking .75 qpf across most of WNY most being snow, with some mixing occurring at state line. Who knows though, the models are allllll over the place.

Haha, nice. Suddenly the Euro's widespread 1.00-1.25 QPF doesn't look so impressive...

Here is a zoomed-in version...

post-538-0-07401300-1298478840.gif

Using the NAM I ran a simple technique for QPF that i like to use. It produces much less only .5 inches. Again the winds aloft are stacked SW QP WILL BE LESS than NAM indicates!

HPC saying go west young man.

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

1107 AM EST WED FEB 23 2011

VALID FEB 23/1200 UTC THRU FEB 27/0000 UTC

...SEE NOUS42 KWNO ADMNFD FOR THE STATUS OF THE UPPER AIR

INGEST...

12Z/23 NAM AND GFS EVALUATIONS

ANY INITIALIZATION ERRORS WITH THE NAM AND GFS DO NOT APPEAR TO

SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT THEIR SOLUTIONS.

...DISJOINTED WAVE CROSSING THE MIDWEST DAY 1...

THE NAM HANDLES THIS SYSTEM COMPARABLY TO THE 00Z/23 ECMWF.

...CYCLONE TRACKING UP THE OHIO VALLEY DAY 2...

THE NAM IS SLIGHTLY SLOWER WITH THIS LOW THAN THE 00Z/23 ECMWF.

THE GFS TRACKS THE SYSTEM SLIGHTLY TO THE RIGHT OF THE NAM AND

ECMWF...BRINGING THE SURFACE CENTER OVER THE HIGH TERRAIN OF WEST

VIRGINIA BY 12Z/25 FRIDAY. DEEP LOWS RARELY CENTER ON THE SPINE

OF MAJOR MOUNTAIN RANGES...SO SUSPECT THAT THE LOW WILL STICK

CLOSER TO THE OHIO RIVER...AS PER THE NAM/EC.

Anyone else getting sick of these SWFE's??? How about a good old fashioned 5-8" clipper or a series of them.....or a nice full latitude EC storm that cuts across LI into CNE (adjust according to your needs)....

Those events, generally speaking will give us a decent 2 or 3 days notice if we are going to have warm layer issues.... From a forecasting standpoint, these SW events suck.....

Anyone else getting sick of these SWFE's??? How about a good old fashioned 5-8" clipper or a series of them.....or a nice full latitude EC storm that cuts across LI into CNE (adjust according to your needs)....

Those events, generally speaking will give us a decent 2 or 3 days notice if we are going to have warm layer issues.... From a forecasting standpoint, these SW events suck.....

agreed. there hasn't been one event this year where we weren't either on the fringe of precipitation or the fringe of the mixing line here.. this looks to be no different. your in a better spot than us around ALB for this one I think.

I agree....But this has been a strange La Nina winter...during a La Nina we generally see fewer coastal storms and more Alberta Clippers than normal....but not this winter.

Archived