CNYWxGuy

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HPC

PREFERENCE: ECMWF

THE NAM AND GFS ARE CONSIDERABLY LESS DEVELOPED WITH THIS SYSTEM

THAN THE UKMET AND ECMWF...EJECTING THE ASSOCIATED SURFACE LOW ON

A MORE SUPPRESSED TRACK ACROSS THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS DAY 3.

THE GEM GLOBAL IS BETWEEN THE TWO CAMPS. WITH THE ADDITIONAL

SUPPORT OF THE ROBUST 50 MEMBER ECENS MEAN...WILL RELY ON THE

UKMET/ECMWF SOLUTION HERE AS WELL.

Wow, that's impressive...I'm guessing a lot of that is rain/mix south of a BUF-ROC-GFL line?

Yeah, there's definately quite bit of mixing and / or rain south of that line. I have this in 6 hour intervals, but even still, its tough to divide the QPF into how much is frozen vs liquid without some sort of sounding or MOS info.

I can say that BGM to GFL and points east look like all rain, maybe some light snow at the end. West of that line is probably where the accumulating snow starts, with amounts increasing as you move north and west. The SLV region is pretty much all snow for the duration.

Yeah, there's definately quite bit of mixing and / or rain south of that line. I have this in 6 hour intervals, but even still, its tough to divide the QPF into how much is frozen vs liquid without some sort of sounding or MOS info.

I can say that BGM to GFL and points east look like all rain, maybe some light snow at the end. West of that line is probably where the accumulating snow starts, with amounts increasing as you move north and west. The SLV region is pretty much all snow for the duration.

GFL = greater finger lakes???

BUFFALO NWS:

EITHER WAY...A BUSY SYNOPTIC PATTERN IS EVOLVING WITH A RIDGE OFF

SOUTHEAST COAST AND TROFFINESS BUILDING INTO NORTH CENTRAL STATES

ALLOWING FOR A MAIN STORM TRACK FROM THE WESTERN GULF TO OHIO VALLEY

TO NORTHEAST...WHICH WILL MAKE IT INTERESTING AROUND THESE PARTS AS

WE MOVE INTO EARLY MARCH.

They are also going with Euro on the solution on Friday. Calling for at least .5 qpf equivalent. So a moderate snowfall event.

KBGM

FRIDAY...HUGE MODEL DISCREPANCIES CONTINUE WITH SFC LOW TRACK WITH

GFS/NAM/SREF/CANADIAN GEM KEEPING SYSTEM TO OUR SOUTH AND EAST.

THE ECMWF/UK MET CONTINUE WITH A MORE NORTHWARD TRACK IMPLYING

MORE RAIN THEN A WINTRY MIX. CONTINUED WITH LIKELY POPS AND MODEL

CONSENSUS FORECAST BUT STARTED TO LEAN WITH THE SOUTHERN TRACK,

COLDER SOLUTION. FOR P-TYPE WENT RAIN/SNOW MIX TRANSITIONING TO

ALL SNOW DURING THE AFTERNOON ACROSS WRN/NRN CWA AS SYSTEM LIFTS

EAST AND CAA BEGINS. MUCH HAS YET TO BE DECIDED WITH THIS

DIFFICULT SYSTEM SO STAY TUNED

KALB

THE DIFFERING TRACKS...AND RESULTING DIFFERING PRECIP TYPES

BRING A LOT OF UNCERTAINTY INTO THE PICTURE. THE GFS PUTS MOST

OF THE PRECIP SOUTH OF THE REGION...WHILE THE ECMWF BRINGS A

SWATH OF 1 TO 2 INCHES OF PRECIP ACROSS THE REGION BY SUNDAY

EVENING...AND ITS TRACK IS FAR ENOUGH EAST THAT WE COULD GET

A SIGNIFICANT SNOW OVER THE REGION...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE HIGHER

TERRAIN.

I'll say the gfs is standing pat.. but the 18z nam is more euro like.... still siding with the euro for now... I think the 12z runs Wednesday will be telling.

Also FWIW.. the euro has been showing the warmer solution... most westward solution since last Thursday..

yes it has,

a slight shift SE today though.

Some notes on the euro soln... T850s trended colder since 12z/21 euro. One thing I like to look at is the 540thickness with these types of systems, and that stays well north. It runs from Oswego to Albany @ 0z Fri. and stays well north for CNY & ENY until 18z Fri, when it is located from SYR to ELM. I like the 540 thickness because with similar past systems it seems to be the better guage as to where mixing will occur than does the t850 temps. The models seem to have trouble bringing the warm air far enough north.

T850s and T925's are fairly similar through the event, so it appears to be more of a rain vs snow type of deal rather than any other ptype getting involved.

Total qpf for kbgm from the euro is around an inch, and looks fairly similar to hpc's fcst.

It'll be interesting to see if any other shifts occur. BTW the 0z nam is coming in warmer thru F54....

Some notes on the euro soln... T850s trended colder since 12z/21 euro. One thing I like to look at is the 540thickness with these types of systems, and that stays well north. It runs from Oswego to Albany @ 0z Fri. and stays well north for CNY & ENY until 18z Fri, when it is located from SYR to ELM. I like the 540 thickness because with similar past systems it seems to be the better guage as to where mixing will occur than does the t850 temps. The models seem to have trouble bringing the warm air far enough north.

T850s and T925's are fairly similar through the event, so it appears to be more of a rain vs snow type of deal rather than any other ptype getting involved.

Total qpf for kbgm from the euro is around an inch, and looks fairly similar to hpc's fcst.

It'll be interesting to see if any other shifts occur. BTW the 0z nam is coming in warmer thru F54....

Euro is also warm at the surface. When the heavier precip arrives into Upstate NY at H72, all of NYS is pretty much above freezing.

At H78, even with the LP near Hunter NY, everyone but the Wrn S Tier and the Saint Lawrence Valley are still above freezing. That's not to say you cant get frozen precip with surface temp's >32°F, but just something to note... especially for lower elevations.

Btw, need to get you a red-tag for this forum...

Nice seeing the big shift in low placement on the 0z nam... at 12z friday on the 0z nam the low is over northern west virginia on the 12z it had the low over eastern KY... in other words it is a bit faster...

Gotta love these early early spring battles!

Euro is also warm at the surface. When the heavier precip arrives into Upstate NY at H72, all of NYS is pretty much above freezing.

At H78, even with the LP near Hunter NY, everyone but the Wrn S Tier and the Saint Lawrence Valley are still above freezing. That's not to say you cant get frozen precip with surface temp's >32°F, but just something to note... especially for lower elevations.

Btw, need to get you a red-tag for this forum...

Yep i do need a tag... never got around to it... and yes sfc temps i figure will be above freezing. was thinking rain/snow mix at the onset, rain in the middle and some snow to finish Friday.

Archived