• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Would you come to a mini SE get together?

BullCityWx

121 members have voted

1. 1. Would you come to a mini SE get together?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes, which location sounds the best?

• Atlanta
    • Charlotte
    • Raleigh
    • Piedmont triad area
    • GSP area
  3. 3. Which month would be your preference?

• February
    • March
    • April
    • May

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a shame this isn't finalized. I'd be happy to go to either location in GA, SC or NC...but VA and FL is probably further than I could make it. I have a few things I could powerpoint, or atleast one study. It would be great to see friends we've talked to over the years but never met too. I realize its hard for most folks to make it though.

I think there are only fifty something going to the "big" conference in Baltimore? And that is the epicenter of where this forum was founded. I think there would be more sucess at gatherings at local levels well under even the regions.

• 1 month later...

One idea would be a winter outlook forecast discussion presentation get together in early November with some of our local pros (WXBrad, Foothills, Matthew East, RaleighWX, and a representative from NWS GSP).

That would address our local interests and give everyone a chance to meet a few people.

The large board conference held up in the Baltimore area has had some good speakers, however, the 7th grade field trip drinking partying crowd that has dominated those conferences is the reason most of us have not been allocating the expense to attend up in Baltimore.

The trouble with this whole idea is not interest. It seems imo that the problem is nobody is taking a lead role in making this happen. We might be better off having even smaller get together's. Like an Atlanta deal, a Charlotte deal ect. I would be perfectly fine taking a day trip to Charlotte if we could all come together but the lack of leadership is definitely a problem. We need someone well respected who has been around for a while to step up and organize this whole deal. I can think of a few names that would be perfect but I don't know if the feeling is mutual with those folks wanting to step up or not. Does anybody feel like stepping up? I have not been around long enough to feel comfortable but like I said before I have a few names in mind that do fit that criteria.

One idea would be a winter outlook forecast discussion presentation get together in early November with some of our local pros (WXBrad, Foothills, Matthew East, RaleighWX, and a representative from NWS GSP).

That would address our local interests and give everyone a chance to meet a few people.

The large board conference held up in the Baltimore area has had some good speakers, however, the 7th grade field trip drinking partying crowd that has dominated those conferences is the reason most of us have not been allocating the expense to attend up in Baltimore.

Sorry that you feel this way. Why do you feel as if you need to take part in the "7th grade field trip" aspect of it. There are plenty of respectable members who do not partake in any partying and can tell you that they had an excellent time. Nobody is forcing you to drink or stay up late. And I'm not sure what the drinking crew or what anybody does outside of official events has to do with the presentations or workshops.

And to underscore, here is a testimony from another SE member

It's truly a loss that anyone would think a conference so close to their region that had the level of speakers we had would let a social activity beyond the organized program get in the way, perceived or not. Perhaps it's me, but I have absolutely no regrets that I flew half way across the country to attend when I could have just stayed at home enjoying the pool, but I digress...folks missed a great opportunity to be part of something very special...;)

And another comment from a person who was NOT a board member and joined because of the conference and did not partake in any social stuff at all:

I joined the forum yesterday and also briefly visited the conference in Baltimore. I was more than mildly impressed. I throughly enjoyed Mike Smith's talk (11 on a scale of 10) and many of the "lightning" presentations.

It was also great to see some colleagues.

So, I have already spread the word about the forum to all my Howard University Summer Weather campers.

Again, we're all entitled to our opinion and I respect that, but to use social gathering that is completely optional and not at all part of the conference as an excuse for not coming seems a little off.

I am very sorry I could not attend Baltimore. I would have enjoyed the party aspect, but also the impressive slate of speakers, and meeting Internet friends -- all of it. I simply couldn't work out the logistics this time. Will try again next year.

At least I paid the registration fee, so I did make some effort to support the event, which to me was a bare-minimum gesture to help Randy out with giving our community an event to be proud of. Anyone who enjoys the American Weather Forums should donate financially to whatever extent possible. If money is the only support you can give, that counts: no one is ever insulted by cash.

I could see attending a regional event, but probably not way down in Florida or even Georgia. I'm a busy guy and don't take many road trips. Raleigh or Charlotte would be possible, at least for a day.

I am very sorry I could not attend Baltimore. I would have enjoyed the party aspect, but also the impressive slate of speakers, and meeting Internet friends -- all of it. I simply couldn't work out the logistics this time. Will try again next year.

At least I paid the registration fee, so I did make some effort to support the event, which to me was a bare-minimum gesture to help Randy out with giving our community an event to be proud of. Anyone who enjoys the American Weather Forums should donate financially to whatever extent possible. If money is the only support you can give, that counts: no one is ever insulted by cash.

I could see attending a regional event, but probably not way down in Florida or even Georgia. I'm a busy guy and don't take many road trips. Raleigh or Charlotte would be possible, at least for a day.

I was sad to see that you could not go to this great event.

Dominated? Have you been to any of these conferences and can say with certainty that this is what you experienced or are you talking out of your ass after hearing rumors?

The after hours hanging out is just that, hanging out discussing weather and such. It's not any different than your group of friends sitting around and talking one evening. Sure, there is a "bad apple" that shows up occasionally but that happens at almost ANY gathering, even at the SE gathering... if it ever happens.

Dominated? Have you been to any of these conferences and can say with certainty that this is what you experienced or are you talking out of your ass after hearing rumors?

The after hours hanging out is just that, hanging out discussing weather and such. It's not any different than your group of friends sitting around and talking one evening. Sure, there is a "bad apple" that shows up occasionally but that happens at almost ANY gathering, even at the SE gathering... if it ever happens.

I know nothing about the makeup of the conference but regardless I think this sums up things pretty well. It is common sense and you will find this in every type of gathering you can think of. I'm sorry I missed out this year. Perhaps next year I can plan ahead a bit better and have access to more time/funds to make an appearance.

I agree. I went to the 1st conference. I enjoyed it. I'm not much of a party person, but I fit in fine. Everybody was nice, the presentations were good, and I didn't feel out of place or uncomfortable. I even met Sean, Forky, and Randy(among others) though they may not remember that. Randy does a great job putting it together.

I agree. I went to the 1st conference. I enjoyed it. I'm not much of a party person, but I fit in fine. Everybody was nice, the presentations were good, and I didn't feel out of place or uncomfortable. I even met Sean, Forky, and Randy(among others) though they may not remember that. Randy does a great job putting it together.

I do remember. :)

I would love to attend a conference one day :wub: Everyone always has a great time and the youtube presentations are fantastic :hug:

My issue throughout the years has been the conference has always taken place at the same time as my family vacation :(

Exactly the same for me.Would love to go,but usually around my family vaca time.I enjoy watching the presentations and reading what people post about the conference.Sounds fun to me.Maybe we will make the next time :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

Ya'll could come here to my house if you want, anytime.... My house would be the perfect place for many of us to meet, if you you don't mind driving up to the mountains near Lake Lure. I've had 65 people here for family reunions, and there's lots of parking. I'm just saying..... I'm 3 1/2 hours from Atlanta, 2 hours from Charlotte, 2 1/2 hours from Columbia, and 3 hours from Greensboro/Raleigh. It's a day trip on a Saturday.

Seriously!

post-1004-0-68872600-1324167909.jpg

Ya'll could come here to my house if you want, anytime.... My house would be the perfect place for many of us to meet, if you you don't mind driving up to the mountains near Lake Lure. I've had 65 people here for family reunions, and there's lots of parking. I'm just saying..... I'm 3 1/2 hours from Atlanta, 2 hours from Charlotte, 2 1/2 hours from Columbia, and 3 hours from Greensboro/Raleigh. It's a day trip on a Saturday.

Seriously!

Ok. Im in.

Archived