Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb. 20th - ? Possible Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be nice if we could elongate that RNA toward the East a bit more, and have a SE ridge that is just strong enough to make the storm track perfect for this area. Hopefully not an overpowering SE Ridge that it forces us into the warm sector.. This would be a more traditional "La Nina" like -PNA/SE ridge pattern, rather then the odd occurence of -NAO/+PNA/-ENSO we have seen much of this winter.

I fully expect to get rained on at this point, but, we'll keep watching. Whatever the outcome, it looks to be interesting beyond that.

Wondering if we might finish up Feb with some nicer weather, and wind up with a colder March?

I think this storm with the Highs to the northeast and northwest would be your classic ice storm setup, this is the type of storm where you don't take the 850mb temps to equal warm that the surface, as the low level flow preceding the storm would be out of the NE to E with cold air being funneled in from Ontario and Quebec

I think this storm with the Highs to the northeast and northwest would be your classic ice storm setup, this is the type of storm where you don't take the 850mb temps to equal warm that the surface, as the low level flow preceding the storm would be out of the NE to E with cold air being funneled in from Ontario and Quebec

Yeah if we can get the storm not to track over our heads. never seen a east or NE wind with a track over me. Suppose it could start as a brief wintry event but then flip to rain as modeled on the euro.. Week out yet anyways lol.. It could end up being nothing, a nice track between LAF and Indy or even cut west of La crosse. My money would be on nothing or a cutter west of me.

Duh, 18 UTC at present is making me nervous regarding serious icing for next Monday here in Michiana...heck, anywhere along the I-80 corridor in IL and IN it seems. Glad it's a week away at least. This storm looks to be moisture laden rather than starved if models sniff out parameters correctly. For real eye candy, however, look at the 18 UTC 324 hr. An absolute bomb for the Midwest and Great Lakes.

GFS ensembles may not be able to help us sort out some of the run to run continuity problems the OP GFS is having.

f180.gif

18z ensembles are much colder than the 12z ensembles, and have maintained little continuity themselves.

It's good though that they all seem to be showing a storm. At this point in time, that's most of the battle.

Duh, 18 UTC at present is making me nervous regarding serious icing for next Monday here in Michiana...heck, anywhere along the I-80 corridor in IL and IN it seems. Glad it's a week away at least. This storm looks to be moisture laden rather than starved if models sniff out parameters correctly. For real eye candy, however, look at the 18 UTC 324 hr. An absolute bomb for the Midwest and Great Lakes.

That 324 hour monster is very nice. I think it has been on a couple runs now. lol. P005 is nice on the ensembles.

Archived