• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb. 20th - ? Possible Storm

wisconsinwx

Another day, more solutions, but still not seeing anything that would be favorable for wintry precip around here.

Yeah, not happening for LAF. Nice thermal gradient though on the 12z Euro from north to south in Illinois. I'll be up in NE IL for this storm, but on the wrong side of things probably. Ah I can smell the 36º and rain from here...

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, not happening for LAF. Nice thermal gradient though on the 12z Euro from north to south in Illinois. I'll be up in NE IL for this storm, but on the wrong side of things probably. Ah I can smell the 36º and rain from here...

Who knows, maybe we can pull off an improbable south trend, but it won't be easy. Best shot would be to eject a small piece like canuck said but do it farther south. I've already written it off so only positive surprises can happen. :lol:

Who knows, maybe we can pull off an improbable south trend, but it won't be easy. Best shot would be to eject a small piece like canuck said but do it farther south. I've already written it off so only positive surprises can happen. :lol:

I've pretty much written off significant accumulating snow/mix here for the rest of the winter. Anything wintry that happens from here on out will be a bonus in my book. :guitar:

all snow.. and 1-1.25" qpf. Actually you're in the 1.25-1.5" same little bit of taint as me..

1.50-1.75" here but that's tainted by this late weeks .10-25"

Wow. My optimistic side was saying maybe an inch of QPF, but nearly 1.5? Whoever gets hit with this storm at the strength progged now will get snowfall amounts similar to the Groundhog Day Storm for N. Illinois and S. Wisconsin.

This. Just sucks cause this was in my timeframe of when I thought the northern OV would get a big snow.

Wow. My optimistic side was saying maybe an inch of QPF, but nearly 1.5? Whoever gets hit with this storm at the strength progged now will get snowfall amounts similar to the Groundhog Day Storm for N. Illinois and S. Wisconsin.

lol.. that would be like almost 3 times the QPF MKE had in the blizzard... Just another axe job they did in a windy event. .59" QPF :rolleyes:

How could that be? We got just over a foot, so unless the ratios were 20:1, which I doubt they were due to the wind, we had to have received more than .59 QPF.

20:1 RATIOS i guess. There wasn't a spot under 14" on my drive and most were 18"++++ And that's with most of the snow just blowing right off the first 4 to 5 hrs when the winds were really ripping.. Once they died down some if you want to call it that it really started to pile up. I went with 20" total for both snows and I don't think that was slanting one bit.

LAF recorded a T with the Feb 13-14, 2007 blizzard. I'm not sure I want to calculate the ratio of 17" of snow with a T of liquid. :arrowhead:

:lol:

Like hoosier said the ASOS was probably useless in this storm and that's what they went with.. MKE totally struggles (understandably - kinda) with their wide open location facing east with measuring during our big storms and almost all of them accompany good winds. I guarantee 07/08 was over 100" by at least 10 and that still pisses me off (until i go to my grave) they ended with 99"

:lol:

Like hoosier said the ASOS was probably useless in this storm and that's what they went with.. MKE totally struggles (understandably - kinda) with their wide open location facing east with measuring during our big storms and almost all of them accompany good winds. I guarantee 07/08 was over 100" by at least 10 and that still pisses me off (until i go to my grave) they ended with 99"

As a stats guy, I'm come to realize that measuring snow is an imperfect science. The fact that the COOPs, CoCoRahs, etc foul it up so much is to be expected I guess, not that I'm railing against those programs...I think they're great, but the numbers are laughable sometimes. But when the first order stations get screwy, that's a little weak IMO. I guess that you can say the same for measuring rainfall as well, mainly in the winter. Fact of the matter is LAF will never have a true yearly precipitation total, because the dumb station here sucks when measuring precip in snow events. Ah, but whatcha gonna do...

Really dont want to wait 6 days for this potential. One more reason I need to stop looking at the models past 72 hours. Easier said than done.

Right!

Its nice when they show a congrats MN early.. Even then I'd still be coming back to the models all day in hopes of a miracle or maybe some back end snow showers. This one is going to be a teaser.

1.57" at ORD, which averages out to a 13.5-1 ratio with the 21.2" of snow.

Thanks! My guess of 1-1.10" QPF doesn't sound to far off for here then I don't think.. Do you have that website addy that shows past storms radar loops? Might be able to judge my guess better looking at that compared to chicago.

Thanks! My guess of 1-1.10" QPF doesn't sound to far off for here then I don't think.. Do you have that website addy that shows past storms radar loops? Might be able to judge my guess better looking at that compared to chicago.

It's set on Feb 1 at 12:45PM, but you can obviously toggle the controls on the left hand side.

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=lotrad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=13&interval=5&year=2011&month=2&day=1&hour=12&minute=45

Archived