Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb. 20th - ? Possible Storm

wisconsinwx

Why? Is that a bias?

Usually the euro ensembles are a little bit further se of the OP run. Becomes a problem if they are slightly north or much farther to the se as that usually means something ( OP run or ensembles ) is off or will be off and typically it is the OP run that is off.

Per the individual members it seems the weaker solutions are farther to the se while all the members that show a decently developed storm ( sub 996mb ) take it farther to the nw. Basically more members ( slightly over 50% ) show a weaker low at the present time and keep it moving more from west to east vs sw to ne.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a kinda crappy storm as the northern stream never gets involved, not much CAA into the backside for major snows.

Yeah with the lack of any major arctic intrusions it's really hard to get too amped up about snow events over the central and southern Midwest. The parade of SW flow systems is impressive, but so far at least the cold air remains bottled well to the north. This spells frequent rain events for many of us. With so much cold air recharging over Canada it's only a matter of time before it collapses south again though.

Wow, the EURO and GFS are pretty much similar. It can't be this easy can it?

HR 162 Euro has a 992 low in SE IA.

HR 168: 992 LOW south of Chicago.

WI/N.IL gets hammered.

There is one notable difference. The euro takes the low due east across IN/OH near i70 vs up along i80 ( GFS ) so most of central/S.MI/N.IL gets hammered. At 174hrs the euro has the low close to Columbus. The GFS would be mostly rain in S.WI/N.IL/S.MI etc.

FWIW it still seems like anyone from Madison to Milwaukee on north and west should see snow out of this system, and perhaps a significant snowstorm at that. The MKE CWA is already bumping pops to 50 percent, pretty aggressive for six days out.

smells like rain for MKE and maybe even Madison to me.

smells like rain for MKE and maybe even Madison to me.

If anything close to the Euro verifies, how can you be so certain? I'll trust the Euro until it gives me a reason not to. The two biggest Great Lakes snowstorms (the one in mid December and the Groundhog Day Blizzard) were stunningly consistent performances by the Euro, especially compared to the other major models.

If anything close to the Euro verifies, how can you be so certain? I'll trust the Euro until it gives me a reason not to. The two biggest Great Lakes snowstorms (the one in mid December and the Groundhog Day Blizzard) were stunningly consistent performances by the Euro, especially compared to the other major models.

I don't have access to the euro, but it looks awfully close to rain for southern wisconsin as is. we're still pretty far out on this one, but it's nothing like the december or groundhog day blizzard which had much more impressive artic airmasses to work with.

I don't have access to the euro, but it looks awfully close to rain for southern wisconsin as is. we're still pretty far out on this one, but it's nothing like the december or groundhog day blizzard which had much more impressive artic airmasses to work with.

I was only making the point about the reliablilty of the Euro. It was consistent with the December storm, despite the fact we got mostly rain from that storm. The Euro gives us all snow, and with the amount of moisture, it should yield good snow totals given the track. Unfortunately, I'm not confident that the storm stays where it is, and doesn't track further north. If the trends indicate that, I'll agree with you. However, the MKE grids haven't even introduced a mix or rain yet. I'll at least wait until (or if) they trend towards liquid precipitation to change my tune.

Euro is great with the better setup to the NE unlike 12z. Lose any of that blocking to the NE and the GPS Nav. is going to start chirping turn left. Chicago still in the game for sure... Just gonna need a lot of help with the ugly Pacific and last night was a good step in that direction along with there even being a storm to track still. If 12z and 0z hold serve or even look better I'll feel more optimistic we might be able to hold the battleground.

Man, even with that track, GFS delivers a pretty decent thump of sleet and freezing rain here. CAD showing up on the models, even the "warm" ones. Plus, the H5 patten on the GFS, would tend to promote a further south track:

gfs_500_150m.gif

Main trough is still out west. Only a little kink of energy ejects out, which would argue against a wound up solution as it tends to deamplify as it runs into the mean ridge. Plus, we've got ridging over Greenland and a couple of vortexs just to the south of that block. I would argue the 12z GFS depiction is probably as far north as a system could go in this type of setup.

Archived