• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb. 20th - ? Possible Storm

wisconsinwx

All you goofs that want winter over in mid Feb. should start a thread where you can all lounge around in your speedo's and whisper sweet nothings to each other when the models show robins plucking worms, tulips popping, swollen tree buds and naked mud wrestling. Some b**ch when its not snowy enough and now they would rather have rain over snow in Feb :arrowhead:

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the feeling the GFS will never show a big snowstorm here in the long term. It seems it is always missing us in either direction, while the Euro gives us a pretty good hit. The Euro has generally been closer to reality, so I will only discount it if it trends significantly toward the GFS in future runs.

All you goofs that want winter over in mid Feb. should start a thread where you can all lounge around in your speedo's and whisper sweet nothings to each other when the models show robins plucking worms, tulips popping, swollen tree buds and naked mud wrestling. Some b**ch when its not snowy enough and now they would rather have rain over snow in Feb :arrowhead:

this

No chance that cuts. With the H5 pattern, it'll deamplify like the GFS. You can kind of see that it wants to move more east than north based on the isobar orientation at 144.

Kinna figured and was praying for your nice explanation to be the case. Nice to just have something to track that could be wintry..

If it fails and rains so be it.. There will be more chances and I don't have a snow pack to get pissed about being washed away if this event goes that route.

Kinna figured and was praying for your nice explanation to be the case. Nice to just have something to track that could be wintry..

If it fails and rains so be it.. There will be more chances and I don't have a snow pack to get pissed about being washed away if this event goes that route.

As much as it pains me to say it, Typhoon_Tip in the NE thread has some good thoughts about why the warmer solutions might be wrong.

Anyone saying this system will be mostly rain didn't look at the models too in depth. The points SSC are making are all correct. Obviously the better chances of frozen/freezing precip would be further to the East, but I think even Chicago would be mostly wintry precip.

We'll see what happens when the GGEM out to 180 comes out on the PSU site, but even if the GGEM tries to cut it, I can't accept that solution based on the upper level pattern.

Anyone saying this system will be mostly rain didn't look at the models too in depth. The points SSC are making are all correct. Obviously the better chances of frozen/freezing precip would be further to the East, but I think even Chicago would be mostly wintry precip.

Wouldn't the chances be better west, on the NW side of the low? Or will the easterly winds aid in supporting colder air?

Wouldn't the chances be better west, ont he NW side of the low? Or will the easterly winds aid in supporting colder air?

This. The further east you go the better the chances the cold air gets dammed, because the strongest WAA is closer to the storm center. With not much upper level support, this storm doesn't look like it'll have a huge deformation zone precip.

GGEM does try to cut that storm, with hilarious consequences. The storm gets shredded to bits and pieces.

This. The further east you go the better the chances the cold air gets dammed, because the strongest WAA is closer to the storm center. With not much upper level support, this storm doesn't look like it'll have a huge deformation zone precip.

GGEM does try to cut that storm, with hilarious consequences. The storm gets shredded to bits and pieces.

Never understood why some lows that get down below 1000 don't have much of a deformation band snow. You would think lows that can get that strong would have enough upper level support to have a decent deformation band.

OT but wow at the south korea pics from the blizzard.

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/02/14/6050735-snow-bomb-hits-south-korea

Archived